10-10-10 Quick Interval Workout

by Brittany on August 21, 2011

Today has been pretty baller thus far.

This morning I snacked on a rice cake con almond butter:

kale pizza 001

Then I hit up the apartment complex gym around 11:00 for a beastly interval training sesh. Something particular that I have learned about my body is that it reacts the best to shorter, more intense workouts (thank you, Bodyrock)

It’s no surprise that I’m a huge advocate of interval training, due to the fact that it has allowed me to overcome my cardio addiction and realize that I do not need to work out for hours on end to see results. I’ve put together a short but intense full-body workout of my own that will have you drenched in sweat after 25 short minutes.

(Note: You MUST complete this workout at your max level– Your heart rate will skyrocket and your blood will bubble (maybe?) but just keep in mind that it will be over before you know it)

(Note #2: You should also know that I did this workout while sporting my ultra-fashionable neon Disney Princess Half Marathon apparel)

kale pizza 006

10-10-10 Full Body Interval Workout

Duration: 25-30 minutes

Warm Up:

•   5 Minutes: Easy treadmill walk: Incline 3, Speed 3

Part 1:

Part 2:

Cool Down:

• 5 Min: Walking Cool Down: Speed 3.5
Or for a paste-able version–

I finished on fire ;)

For luncho, I couldn’t decide exactly what I was feeling so in an effort to use up some of the Whole Foods goodies before they go bad, I declared it concoction time. I grabbed some Indian Lentil Quinoa salad,

kale pizza 009kale pizza 010

combined it with my leftover garlicky kale, and threw it on top of a Food For Life brown rice tortilla with cottage cheese. I cooked this baby in the oven on 450 degrees Farenheit for 5 minutes and called it a meal. kale pizza 014

Fabulouso! I call it: Kale Pizza!

Alrighty—I still have this mound of luggage to tackle:

kale pizza 008

I hope all of you are enjoying the last bit of your weekend and safe travels to those traveling home from HLS :) Toodles!

A bit to think about: Do you find yourself doing long workouts, short workouts, or switching between the two?

Lindsay@LivingLindsay August 21, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I love Bodyrock workouts! I always feel completely worked out in a short period of time, but then I have a bit of a mental struggle: “Is 20 minutes enough? Should I go for a run? Should I do weights?” I think most people think that the longer you workout the better results you will have. But I try to switch it up. One or two days each week, I’ll do a shorter workout. The rest of the workouts I do will be more intense. :)

Itty Bits of Balance August 21, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Bodyrock is great! It’s a little difficult to get over the long workouts in the beginning, but totally worth it once you get used to it :)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I’m in LOVE with shorter, more intense workouts. Not only are they easier to fit into busy days, but I see way better results from them than I do with longer, steadier forms of exercise like running. I tend to stick to circuits, HIIT, or plyometrics when I’m doing my cardio days, and those sessions are usually shorter. But when I’m working on my lifting, I tend to take a little longer. So I guess I end up alternating between the two.

Itty Bits of Balance August 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm

HIIT is great too :) You’ve got good taste in workouts, my friend

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Kale Pizza?! amazing idea. :)

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I alternate between long and short workouts depending my schedule and what workout I’m doing. The important thing for me is finding time to get one in. A short, high intensity workout is better than nothing!

Mallory @ It's Only Life August 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

This is a great post! I totally relate to you with the long cardio session addictions. I used to think that I had to get my butt on a treadmill and run for an hour a day to see results- wow I was wrong! short&intense is the way to go (and occasional long-cardio sessions aren’t bad either!)

Hannah August 21, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I had the same problem, I would literally run 4 or 3 miles in the morning and I felt guilty and madr my self walk on a 10 incline on speed 3.5 for an hour. I found the shorter ones are so much more fun and rewarding! The other ones just get so boring and they make me exhausted all the time. Was this your workout you made up?

Itty Bits of Balance August 21, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Glad you figured it out, Hannah :) You are not alone– that feeling of guilt is something we ALL fall victim to and its very hard to overcome.

And yes– I made this up but based it off of some other intervals I’ve done in the past :)

Hannah August 22, 2011 at 6:34 am

Yes i do, I hate that feeling. I have a hard time learning, when to rest and when to take it easier. lol :) But thank you this workout seems awesome. I will deff do it this week sometime :)

sarah (onedayiwillseethesun) August 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm

love the idea of a cottage cheese pizza, love cottage cheese always trying to find new ways of eating it. When I have more time I prefer long workouts but when I am pushed for time I quite like short ones, exercise classes are great as they really push you

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I am loving your combo of lentil salad and cottage cheese! I could pair anything with cottage cheese and be a happy girl! :)

Itty Bits of Balance August 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

you said it, sister.

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 21, 2011 at 6:58 pm

That workout looks awesome!! Going to have to try it :) I’m usually a fan of long workouts (1 hour). Its not like I’m doing anything else anyways (lol) and I love working out. :D Hope the packing/traveling is going well!!

(btw- if you try to visit my blog, its been deactivated for some reason!! I’m trying to get it back up and running ASAP :) )

Itty Bits of Balance August 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up– I actually was wondering why it took me to the wordpress homepage. Keep me updated, Brittany #2! ;)

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 21, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Wow that is an awesome workout! I definitely like more intense workouts. They are so much better than slaving away on some cardio machine at half-ass intensity for what feels like ever!

Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice August 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Thanks for the interval work out – I agree with you, they are such a good training tool, and definitely break up the monotony of the treadmill. I’m going to write that work out onto my cue cards (I bring them with me for reference!)

Also….I love that you did that race!! It’s on my to-do list, for sure!

Itty Bits of Balance August 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm

You should totally do it! I’ve done it 2 years in a row and Disney really knows how to amp up the runners :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 21, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I love shorter cardio intervals too. Great use of mixing it up with strength and speed too:D
Have a good rest of your weekend, Brittany!

Itty Bits of Balance August 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Thanks Paige :) Glad you had fun at HLS!

Nikki August 21, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Sounds like a great workout to me! I used to have 2 hour swim workouts daily or spend a while at the gym, but I just don’t have that much time anymore so these shorter workouts are much more time efficient and just as awesome!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I ran a disney half with Scott about 2002-ish. Best and most favorite half ive EVER run. And Ive done soooooo many races. Love the disney spirit and vibe!

Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Yay for a good day — and welcome back to O-Town!

I do all kinds of workouts. Lately I’ve been following the same routine – but will be changing it up once marathon training is OVER. Keep posting you’re great workouts so I can come back :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com August 22, 2011 at 2:19 am

I much prefer short workouts, but when following P90x they were sooo long!!!! i usually switch them up :) Bodyrock.tv are usually on 12 min, I can handle that ;)

xxoo

Laura @ Special Treats August 22, 2011 at 7:47 am

Awesome workout!!!!!! :)

Faith @ For the Health of It August 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Ugh good luck with the unpacking…one of my least favorite activities EVER lol!

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola August 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Ohh this looks like a great workout and one that I will definitely have to try!! I’ve been looking for short workouts that I can fit in my busy schedule and I like the idea of the 10-10-10! I think the only hard part might be maintaining that intensity! But I’ll give it a shot! And that looks like a delicious meal! I’ve never seen that salad but am going to be on the lookout for it!

Weight Loss April 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Great Website!!

Rachel August 28, 2012 at 2:55 pm

How heavy of dumbbells do you recommend using? Just curious to try this out–been doing cardio for a while but wanting to implement interval training to boost results! =)

Thanks!

Brittany August 28, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Hi Rachel! That totally depends on your individual ability. If you’re just beginning, I would recommend starting with 3 or 5 pounds.
Brittany recently posted..Simple Almond ButterMy Profile

www.rmtplusone.com January 23, 2014 at 9:28 pm

With the proper kind of info, the proper spirit and the proper resources, you
is going to be set into creating a flourishing Internet business.
While a good list builder and autoresponder will set you back some money upfront, it
is well worth it as being your subscribers, readers and purchases climb higher.
Second, it’s both the url of your website and the name of the
business.
http://www.rmtplusone.com recently posted..http://www.rmtplusone.comMy Profile

spitfires March 28, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I think that what you said made a great deal of sense.
However, think on this, what if you composed a catchier post title?
I mean, I don’t wish to tell you how to run your website, but what if you added a
post title to possibly get people’s attention? I mean 10-10-10 Quick Interval
Workout is kinda boring. You could peek at Yahoo’s home page and watch how
they create news headlines to get people interested.
You might try adding a video or a picture or two to get readers excited about
what you’ve got to say. In my opinion, it would make your website a little bit more interesting.
spitfires recently posted..spitfiresMy Profile