A Tinier Turkey Day

by Brittany on November 26, 2012

Happy post-Thanksgiving! Are all of your bellies full of leftovers and other T-giving goodies? Because mine sure is :D

My Thanksgiving was quite a success– my mom hosted a get-together for about 15 guests, as she does every holiday. Last year because my long-lost California family was in town we totaled in at about 21 people, but this year was a bit more toned down. It was actually pretty nice to have a smaller crowd—I felt like I could finally make my way around to all of the family members throughout the evening.

Oh, and I guess all of that picture-taking from last year wore me out too because when I plugged in my DSLR to upload Thanksgiving photos, this is all I got–

popcorn glen

popcorn taylor sniff

popcorn taylor

Hey, at least my priorities are in order, right?

But if you really want to know, the table set up looked a little something like this,

thanksgiving table

the turkey looked like this,

thanksgiving turkey

and my famous wheat-free pumpkin pie looked like this (which I made again this year. Such a hit!)

tofu pumpkin pie

Aside from the actual Thanksgiving festivities that took place on Thursday night, I also made the call to take a step back from my normal routine and relax a little bit more than usual this weekend. I even was able to back off of any meal-prep because pleeeenty of leftovers were involved.

Like gravy-fied turkey, sweet potatoes, and coconut oil Brussels sprouts,

leftovers

or salads featuring more roasted turkey, roasted broccoli, celery, avocado, oil, and vinegar,

turkey salad

or maybe even oats featuring the pilgrim family, like the one I had this morning.

oats pilgrims

• 1/3 cup Coach’s oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 sliced banana
  • Almond milk
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds (using chia seed method)
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg
  • Truvia
  • Frozen berries, thrown in at the last minute
  • Topped with Maranatha almond butter and PB & Co. chocolate peanut butter

oats

It may not include leftovers but it still hit the spot!

Oh and just to throw it out there, I may or may not have finally gotten the nerve to crack open this dust-collector :D

Woah nelly, is this real?

gre

Now who wants to design me a life map? ;)

A bit to think about: If you celebrated, how was your Thanksgiving? If not, tell me about your weekend!

miz November 26, 2012 at 7:37 am

I WANT YER PILGRIMS!
we did PACKSgiving….and it was long and painful :-) but we be PACKED!!
miz recently posted..A day in the life of a misfitMy Profile

Danielle@ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 26, 2012 at 7:55 am

Everything looks amazing in this post! So excited for you to see that GRE book! If only we all had a pre designed life map. Everything would be so much easier ;) Happy Monday!
Danielle@ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Marvelous in my Monday!My Profile

Brittany November 26, 2012 at 9:27 am

In my DREAMS! haha

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

Pictures of puppies are definitely top priority ;) Everything looks great!! Leftovers are seriously the best.
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..MIMM–Thanksgiving WeekendMy Profile

Linz @ Itz Linz November 26, 2012 at 8:18 am

Our Thanksgiving was much smaller than the usual, as well, but there was just as much food and laughter!! I too did waaaaay more relaxing this weekend than I am used to, but it felt good! Sometimes we all deserve days like those!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..I love my life.My Profile

Rebecca November 26, 2012 at 8:43 am

We went out for lunch with my grandma because nobody wanted to cook. But it was good. :) My mom and I put up the tree on Friday night, and spent a good chunk of the weekend sewing and watching tv/movies. :)
I am so ready for these last two weeks of classes and finals week to be over…
Rebecca recently posted..Flawless Friday: TearsMy Profile

Devon @ Health in Equilibrium November 26, 2012 at 8:51 am

Yay for pie! My mum makes a flourless pumpkin pie too, but she tops it with candied pecan topping. Aw man, now all I want is pie!
Devon @ Health in Equilibrium recently posted..Health Survey!My Profile

Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual November 26, 2012 at 9:47 am

My Thanksgiving was pretty jam packed and was immediately followed by one of the most relaxing weekends I’ve had in a long time! Now, back to the grind. ;)
Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual recently posted..Keeping Busy/ ThanksgivingMy Profile

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie November 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

Looks so delicious and fun!! Glad you had a great weekend!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Thanksgiving Recaps (yes, plural)My Profile

Nikki November 26, 2012 at 11:01 am

I could use a life map more than anything right now! I don’t know what will happen in the next month!
Nikki recently posted..Getting Up to DateMy Profile

Melissa @TryingtoHeal November 26, 2012 at 11:25 am

Haha, I did the same thing this weekend with my GRE book. I seriously hate that book, err, the test I guess.

Looks like a great Thanksgiving and relaxing weekend!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving and Turkey ThursdayMy Profile

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 26, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Oh geez…that GRE book does not bring back fond memories! Prepping for that test is just not fun. :(
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Spicy Tomato Vegetable SoupMy Profile

Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Oh what I wouldn’t give for a pre-designed life map. I’m just drawing mine as I go along, so knowing what’s ahead, or where I’m going, is kind of hazy… But at least we’re going somewhere, right? ;)

No Thanksgiving for us Canadians, but I definitely enjoyed some good time with friends, family, and the boy… so can’t complain :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... let’s play 20 [health] questions .My Profile

Allison @ Running Through Red Lights November 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm

All of your Thanksgiving eats look incredible! The GRE book does not look quite as nice ;-)

We had a low-key Thanksgiving this year–just me and my husband. It was our first time on our own, and even though we missed seeing our families, it was nice to spend the time together!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Noodleini 15K Race RecapMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 26, 2012 at 1:45 pm

So excited to check out your pumpkin pie recipe – I’m looking for one to contribute to our Christmas dessert table!

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola November 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Aw those pictures of Popcorn and his lovah are absolutely adorable!! How sweet! And looks like you had a great holiday! I agree- sometimes smaller holidays are better so that you actually can spend more time with each person! And I need to make your Pumpkin dessert- it looks delish!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Thanksgiving Through the LensMy Profile

natalie @ southern fit foodie November 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I’m craving that bowl of oats RIGHT NOW! Maybe that will be my breakfast tomorrow since I have all the ingredients. :)

I so enjoyed our “talk” on Friday! Have a fabulous week!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race November 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Looks like you had a super yummy holiday! The pups are hilarious! :D

Good luck with the GRE. I hated that test! But I’m sure you will do amazing!
Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..Thanksgiving Day 2012My Profile

Brittany November 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Oo! Did you go to grad school?!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race November 27, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I was planning on it, since I was having such a hard time finding a job with just a BS. But I got lucky and ended up at a great job! Sadly AFTER I took the GRE though. I just really, really don’t like timed tests. They kinda freak me out. ;)
Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..Veggie FajitasMy Profile

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables November 26, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Looks like an amazing Thanksgiving love! Good luck with the GRE. I remember taking that a few years ago… You will do great!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..MIMM #26 Thanksgiving EditionMy Profile

Ellen November 26, 2012 at 8:18 pm

AWWW the puppy cousins look like they were having fun and we must do it again.

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family November 26, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I didnt get pumpkin pie this thanksgiving so i may have to make a healthier version for nighttime snacking this week!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..A Box is Better than a ToyMy Profile

Christine He November 26, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Good luck on GRE! I know how hard preparing for GMAT was for me when I was working at the same time during the summer. But hard work paid off

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 27, 2012 at 6:42 am

Ugh, I despise the GRE. I studied so hard for that stupid thing, and still didn’t get the score I wanted. Hopefully you’re better at learning vocabulary words that you’ll never use again in your life than I was! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..21 Weeks: The Big Gender RevealMy Profile

Sara @my less serious life November 27, 2012 at 6:49 am

ah, GRE studying. you’ll do great! it is one of those tests that you can only prep so much for. i actually went into mine without much prep at all (out of laziness really) and did fine. goodluck!
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..the fitness class experiment: RIPPEDMy Profile

Linz @ Itz Linz November 27, 2012 at 11:44 am

Zoey definitely buys cards and gifts for us! #bestpetever haha One year for mother’s day, she bought me first pair of baby diamond earrings!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Turkey Trot with Pro CompressionMy Profile