A Broski Birthday & WIAW

by Brittany on November 21, 2012

First off, I’ve gotta open this post by wishing my brother Brandon a VERY happy 26th birthday!

Looking back, it’s amazing how fast time has flown. It seems like only yesterday that we were posing in our backyard with the destruction from Hurricane Andrew back in 1992,

Mebrandonandrew

and now he’s a grown up married man!

brandonkatie

I have been truly blessed to know him, have a relationship with him, and to have come to Christ through him and his testimony. A very happy birthday to my amazing broski!

Moving on, let’s get this WIAW (What I Ate Wednesday) party started :D

Breakfast (5:30 AM)- I whipped up a batch of my favorite coconut flour pancakes and topped them with coconut milk whipped cream, almond butter, and blackberries. On the side I also served up a Junction City chicken sausage link to fill in the added protein gap.

coconut flour pancakes

coconut flour pcakes

Yum yum! Very filling and kept me powered up through my morning to-do’s! A mug of vanilla Godiva coffee + half & half was also enjoyed in my Love Mug.

coffee

After doing a little bit of blog work while digesting (check out my new “sides” page!), I threw on my beloved winter running pants (aka, my scuba gear), texted Will this provocative photo of me “about to go scuba diving”, and set out for an easy peasy 1 mile jog around the neighborhood.

It looks like my winter wishes in yesterday’s post did the trick—the weather has been chilly and PERFECT!

scuba pants

Lunch (11:00 AM)- After my return and a quick shower, lunch was on the table.

Romaine lettuce, canned tuna + mustard, sundried tomatoes, avocado, and Simply Dressed balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I also ate a few handfuls of baby carrots straight from the bag while prepping  this beast.

salad

salad

Work time! I threw my second serving of coffee + half & half for the day into a tumbler, tossed some pumpkin seeds in my purse, and headed out to the office. As you can tell by the 5:19 PM time on my car clock, I didn’t photograph my cup until AFTER it was empty by the end of the work day. Whoops :D

coffee

Snack (2:00 PM)- The pumpkin seeds were the perfect fix to tide me over when my 2:00 stomach growls came along.

pumpkin seeds

Work was pretty good and I spent a large majority of it planning for the office holiday party. Before I knew it, it was time to leave and head home for dinner.

Dinner (6:00 PM)- For some reason when I started thinking about what I was going to eat, all I could picture were rice cakes with cottage cheese? Originally I was planning on throwing together a REAL dinner that included a chicken sausage and veggie combo, but when my stomach kept insisting on being strange, I had to oblige.

dinner rice cake

Hey, whatever hits the spot! I chopped up about a cup of Brussels sprouts and sautéed them in coconut oil, pepper, & garlic salt and served my rice cake + cottage cheese on the side. Right after finishing this plate, I made the call that another rice cake + cottage cheese combo was needed.

rice cake

With some Sunbutter on the last few bites, of course ;)

rice cake piece

A little later into the evening, Will came over and we started the third season of Glee on Netflix while I sipped some of my new favorite nighttime tea– Pomegranate & Raspberry Twinnings! It’s herbal so it’s naturally decaffeinated and it pretty much tastes like a berry dessert in a mug.

tea

pomegranate tea

Today I’ve got work until the afternoon, a pre-Thanksgiving nail appointment, and then my brother’s birthday dinner all on the agenda! Sounds like a great way to end my work week before I get to see all of my family tomorrow :)

A bit to think about: Any upcoming plans for Thanksgiving?

Danielle@ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 21, 2012 at 7:40 am

Love the random dinner! Sometimes those are simply the best. I always need a second mug of coffee too. The day is not complete without it!
Danielle@ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

Ellen November 21, 2012 at 7:56 am

Yeaa. Looking forward to turkey tomorrow
And family.

Linz @ Itz Linz November 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

We’re going to my parents house for Thanksgiving! Itz my older brother’s birthday tomorrow! :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Basic Leg WorkoutMy Profile

Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual November 21, 2012 at 8:53 am

They tea sounds delish! Happy birthday to your brother!
Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual recently posted..The One Where I Give ThanksMy Profile

Kathy November 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, and Happy Birthday to Brandon, too!

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life November 21, 2012 at 9:06 am

Love your ‘scuba gear’! I have black under armor leggings and mock neck that I think makes me look like a cat burglar.. lol! Probably not the best outfit to wear into a bank :)
Happy birthday to your brother, and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving girl!

Brittany November 21, 2012 at 10:27 am

HAHA!! You’re too funny! Love ya girl :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 21, 2012 at 9:41 am

Brothers are the best – happy birthday to yours! You two look way too happy about the hurricane, lol. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! xo
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Two and Three Part MealsMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

I have that same travel mug! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Disappearing ActMy Profile

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 21, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Rice cakes seem to be all over the blog world lately. And trust me, I am not complaining because I love them! I have never tried them with cottage cheese but it sounds yummy!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Homemade Pizza PocketsMy Profile

Lot-O-Choc November 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

mmm i love huge salads like yours..so satisfying!
Lot-O-Choc recently posted..Chococo Fish, Chips & PeasMy Profile

Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Awwr! Happy Birthday to your brother! I’ve secretly kind of always wanted a brother, but I got stuck being an only child. And I couldn’t help but laugh at your random dinner – I do exactly the same thing. Sometimes I’ll be eating a salad with grilled chicken, and then I’ll get hit with a mad craving for waffles so I’ll grab one of those with some AB on the side.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... a curious craving .My Profile

Michelle@Peachy Palate November 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm

SunButter makes anything taste good! I’m such a huge fan of coconut flour, best pancakes ever! No thanksgiving in Ireland…but I’ll be thinking of you all having a blast!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Playing catch up againMy Profile

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables November 21, 2012 at 4:47 pm

My body has been wanting random meals lately too! Happy Birthday to your brother!! I hope you all have a great time tonight.
We are at home in Tennessee for Thanksgiving. We have a Thanksgiving meal to go to for the next 3 nights! I’m going to be stuffed!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..WIAW #26 On The RoadMy Profile

Eating 4 Balance November 21, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Happy Birthday to your brother! It sounds like you are lucky to have him, and him you. :)

That salad with tuna looks scrumptious. I had something similar for lunch today…. Okay. Maybe not! But it did involve tuna and lettuce. Haha.

I stopped watching Glee after the first season. I’m not really sure why; what I saw was really good!

Danielle November 22, 2012 at 12:30 am

Brittany!

I am SO glad I discovered your blog! You’re a really talented young lady and I really look up to you. Thank you for the amazingness you share – it brightens my days.

Aaaand… You have to know that I actually read EVERY SINGLE post tagged ‘Popcorn’ – I have fallen in love with your baby. And that has rekindled a love for my babies too, I’ve been neglecting them the last while, and I blame stress *enter exams*.

Anyway, I live in South-Africa and we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, but it’s really cool for me to see all the Thanksgiving-y (that’s totally a word) traditions and stuff. The fact that it’s really cold there is amazing too – yesterday was basically one of THE HOTTEST days here in SA. I’m telling you, working out was a challenge…

As for the random cravings – I found myself having butternut for breakfast again today. Hence, the blog title. :D

I should stop rambling and just say thank you once again, and you can expect to see me around here a lot more often. :)