Cinnamon Smashed Sweet Potatoes

by Brittany on November 10, 2012

Ah, yes. The winter months have arrived which means so have my comfort food cravings.

Let it be known that I anticipate the holiday season for the simple reason that it’s totally excusable to include pumpkin in every dish, to pretend that cold foods no longer exist, and to curl up beside my fireplace in my PJs every night with a warm cup of cocoa.

Wait.. I live in Miami.

popcorn

Alas, I still have to hold up my “comfort food” end of the winter bargain, which is precisely why cinnamon smashed sweet potatoes totally hit the spot-

even when it’s 75 degrees outside.

Cinnamon Smashed Sweet Potatoes

sweetp

Ingredients:

• 3 sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • Salt, to taste

Directions:

1. Cut potatoes into smaller chunks (I cut each one into fourths.)

2. In a large pot, boil water and cook potato chunks until tender enough to mash. Strain potatoes and return them to pot.

3. Add cinnamon, butter, and nutmeg, mixing and mashing until ingredients are dispersed evenly. Top with another sprinkle of cinnamon to serve.

cinnamon smashed sweet potatoes

A bit to think about: What is your ultimate winter comfort food?

kim@hungryhealthygirl November 10, 2012 at 8:29 am

I love sweet potatoes! Those look so scrumptious. My ultimate comfort food is a big bowl of chili.
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Fall Bucket List Revisited & Roasted Pumpkin SeedsMy Profile

Linz @ Itz Linz November 10, 2012 at 8:33 am

YUM! I love sweet potatoes plain, so this just looks unbelievable with all the added goodness!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Thumper has been slain!My Profile

Danielle@ Clean Food Creative Fitness November 10, 2012 at 8:34 am

These look perfect for winter! Lately my ultimate comfort food has been soup! It’s getting so much colder in Boston so I just crave something warm and filling!
Danielle@ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Perfect Fit Vanilla CupcakesMy Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 10, 2012 at 9:09 am

Bahahah #floridagirlproblems I looooove cinnamon and sweet potato together. Match made in heaven.
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Mini ChallengeMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 10, 2012 at 9:12 am

Yum, I love sweet potatoes! My favorite comfort food is macaroni and cheese!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Baked Caesar ChickenMy Profile

Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 10, 2012 at 9:27 am

I guess one of the benefits of living in a place where it’s constantly freezing is that I get to take full advantage of the fireplace/PJ/hot cocoa/comfort food setup? Given our current nasty weather, though, I’m extremely tempted to say that I’d give all of that up for some nicer temps. Oh, and when it comes to comfort food, baked mac and cheese probably tops my list :D
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... my exciting day .My Profile

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 10, 2012 at 10:54 am

Mmm I LOVE me some sweet potatoes! Add a little butter and cinnamon, and they’re even better!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..It Kinda Feels Like Christmas Morning…My Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 10, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Yum! I actually don’t think I’ve ever made homemade mashed sweet potatoes! But I know they aren’t difficult! I need to try these!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Cheddar Bacon Ranch DipMy Profile

Amanda @ Run Principessa November 10, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Oh YES!! I’m going to be the star of every single holiday party. Thank you so much. :)
Amanda @ Run Principessa recently posted..Baby, It’s Cold OutsideMy Profile

purelytwins November 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm

sweet potatoes are the best, so comforting!!
do not worry when we come home during the holidays to Florida to see the family, we still eat warm comforting foods, and still drink our hot coffee ;)
purelytwins recently posted..holiday hottiesMy Profile

Sarah @ feeeding the brain and body November 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm

My ultimate comfort food would be scallopped potatoes! This recipe looks so great :)
Sarah @ feeeding the brain and body recently posted..Chocolate Pumpkin Cookie Dough SludgeMy Profile

luv what you do November 11, 2012 at 11:30 am

I love sweet potatoes and this looks like an amazing Thanksgiving side. Yummy! I would eat them for breakfast right now : )
luv what you do recently posted..The DayMy Profile

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables November 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I will happily send you some of our cold weather in exchange for you weather! I’m such a sissy when it comes to cold weather. I’m comfort food for cold weather is chili!! (and of course pumpkin…)
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..When I’m Weak, I’m StrongMy Profile

Steph @ StephSnacks November 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm

This sounds delicious! Definitely gonna try it.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..John’s Birthday WeekendMy Profile

Blogging Runner November 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I love mashed potatoes in the winter! I could eat them as a meal!
Blogging Runner recently posted..SacroilitisMy Profile

Shirley @save the shrink November 12, 2012 at 8:05 am

I always order anything that has cinnamon! Great taste! I am excited to try your recipe. My favorite comfort food when it’s cold is a hot chocolate made from Bohol, Philippines’ chocolate tableu.
Shirley @save the shrink recently posted..Is your mental health practice getting you down?My Profile

Anna @AnnaTheApple November 12, 2012 at 8:22 am

This sounds amazing. Could even add a bit of pumpkin…oooooh. As boring as it sounds, I love soup as my comfort food. A thick soup with a chunk of bread. Nom nom.
Anna @AnnaTheApple recently posted..Moral of the storyMy Profile

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie November 12, 2012 at 9:24 am

Love comfort foods, and especially sweet potatoes! And, as always, popcorn looks so precious!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Our New KitchenMy Profile

Kelly @ No Sugar Sweet Life November 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

Yay for sweet potatoes!! I just made some this weekend and mixed some plain Chobani in…they were super yum :)
Kelly @ No Sugar Sweet Life recently posted..Thanksgiving Menu + {Healthier Sweet Potato Casserole}My Profile

Ellie@Fit for the Soul November 12, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Hmmm I think it’s usually some kind of thick soup/stew dish! Like, beef stew or potato soup! Mmmm I’ve been loving potatoes lately, haha.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Heaven in a BoxMy Profile

Michelle@Peachy Palate November 12, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Anything pumpkin – though sweet potato is a close second! I love a good chili – a pumpkin and blackbean one ideally! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..The power of purpleMy Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm November 12, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Hot coco in my sweats … my absolute fave … as well as Syd’s. She always finds a way to sneak a sip!!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..I Don’t Do Sick.My Profile

Rachel November 13, 2012 at 10:46 am

These sound amazing.. I think I could go for any type of pasta dish lol penne pasta to be exact
Rachel recently posted..My Running Anniversary!My Profile

Kailey November 13, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Funny you should post this because I have to do a business plan for my Food Service & Meal Management class and these are totally on the menu :)
Kailey recently posted..Lose, WinMy Profile

Annette@FitnessPerks November 13, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Mmmm this looks FAB! I LOOVVVEE cinnamon anything. And sweet potatoes. YUMM.
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..5 Tips to Becoming a Morning ExerciserMy Profile

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily November 13, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Come to Michigan, we’ll hang out and drink hot cocoa and you can make these? Deal? ;)
Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily recently posted..Pity Party for 1My Profile

Brittany November 14, 2012 at 5:42 am

Sounds like a plan to me ;)