WIAW: Last Orlando Hurrah

by Brittany on June 13, 2012

And just like that, the moving process has begun!

packing

My strategy of choice is the whole “slow and steady” route. Each day I’ve been tackling separate projects— First my wall décor, then my bookshelves/desk, and today should be my bathroom toiletries. Speaking of, if the world’s toothpaste supply ever goes down, don’t worry– I’m pretty confident that I’ve got all of us covered. I stock up on tubes like it’s going out of style 8)

Okay, enough of that. Lets get this WIAW show on the road! Here is a glimpse of a day of yesterday’s eats while packing up a storm.

Breakfast (6:00 AM): This is the perfect example of what I like to call “desperate for oats in a jar”. In this particular scenario, I literally took the remnants of my half-full container of peanut butter, emptied it into Will’s jar that he left over at my place, ALL so I could pour my melty oats inside.

It’s all in the name of the game, my friends.

oats in a jar

• LOADS of blueberries
  • Topped with a bit of PB & Co. chocolate peanut butter

The top–

pb oats in a jar

and the bottom–

pb oats

Swirls of blueberries are always a good sign ;)

Lunch (10:30 AMish)- I was in the mood to work out, but not in the mood to think up a routine, so I turned to the handy dandy Summer Shape Up that the beautiful Gina threw together for the next four weeks. I did Workout #1 in my apartment gym, which took about 50 minutes in total to do.

Aaand before I knew it, I was back up in my kitchen downing a green smoothie in one of my newly bought mason jars!

green smoothie

• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 cup frozen mango
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • 3 handfuls of spinach
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • Vanilla extract
The mango in the smoothie brought out a delicious natural sweetness, and the combo of protein + PB made it a pretty hefty meal. Thank goodness I only stuck to 1/2 a scoop of powder!

Plus some green tea for a heavenly cold/hot contrast

green tea

Snack (2:00 PM): A few handfuls of Whole Foods sea salt soy crispettes, followed by a traditional Brittany-snack of roasted Brussels sprouts + ketchup

soy crispettes

brussels sprouts and ketchup

Class at it’s finest ;)

A couple days ago Will picked up some veggie chips at Whole Foods for himself, and requested a french onion chip dip to go along with them. In an attempt to prevent him from splurging on the overly processed store-bought brand, I insisted that I would look up a recipe to make him a tastier and cheaper homemade version (which come to think of it, is pretty much the same strategy he used to get me to make him the peanut butter M&M blondies…)

All it took was a quick Google search to find Jessica’s recipe for caramelized onion Greek yogurt dip, and considering the fact that I already SWEAR by her better-than-crack brownies, I knew that it was most likely a winner.

Judging by Will’s reaction, I was spot on.

will face

caramelized onion dip

veggie chip onion dip

Seriously, this stuff was AMAZING. The recipe calls for 2% Greek yogurt instead of the 0% that I’m used to, and it makes the dip much thicker and more like legitimate sour cream. Also, caramelizing the onions takes a little under an hour to do, but the lengthy process was more than worth the final result.

Dinner (6:00 PM): You guessed it, Thai!

My roommate Nicole & I are parting ways for good this weekend after four years of living together, so we decided that it would only be appropriate to celebrate with some good food. Nicole has only had Thai a handful of times, so you can only imagine how quickly I pounced on the opportunity to bring her around one of my beloved Orlando joints. Thai House, I will miss you so.

I rolled with my standard tofu-veggie soup to start,

thai soup

with my vegetables & shrimp in brown sauce + brown rice

thai veggies

thai rice

Rest in peace.

Nicole was even sweet enough to surprise me with a new addition for my Pandora bracelet—a farewell “forget me not” charm! (the one all the way to the right)

pandora

Am I a blessed lady or what? :D

Snack (9:00 PM): I’m guessing that Gina’s workout woke up the animal within my stomach because when nighttime rolled around, I was lurking in the kitchen for a bedtime snack.

Bring on the random combo bowl of cottage cheese, blueberries, PB2 & Sunbutter!

cottage cheese snack

And that concludes my last Orlando WIAW! Ah, time is-a-creepin’!

A bit to think about: What is your go-to evening snack?

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 13, 2012 at 8:55 am

Popcorn in the first photo: “WTF is going on, Mom?”
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Everything in ModerationMy Profile

Brittany June 13, 2012 at 10:00 am

HAHA! SO true! He’s been freaking out since we started moving around all of his favorite hangout furniture
Brittany recently posted..WIAW: Last Orlando HurrahMy Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 13, 2012 at 8:59 am

Jessica is pretty much my go-to lady for recipes! I just made one of her pasta dishes the other night, and it was amazing!

Love the Pandora charm!! Good luck packing, pretty lady! I prayed for your move this morning!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Ben and Jerry know what’s up.My Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It June 13, 2012 at 9:00 am

Good luck with the moving process! Slow and steady is the way to go, much less stressful. Hope the rest of the move goes smoothly too!

And OMG, that dip! I dont know if you did the Eola farmers market, but last week they got me hooked on a French Onion sour cream dip. I sent $6 on it but now I want to replicate it cheaper – this looks AMAZING with the carmelized ones! I have a hunch even the onion-hating BF will love it. Thanks for the link!

Krystina June 13, 2012 at 9:08 am

Aw, sad you’re leaving Orlando! But so happy you’re going on a fun new journey and starting your career. :) I never really liked Pandora bracelets but for some reason looking at yours made me want one!
Krystina recently posted..White Whole Wheat Pizza DoughMy Profile

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 13, 2012 at 9:15 am

I’m moving this weekend too. My strategy has been to do a little packing last weekend and pretty much wait and do everything else plus the move this weekend. I was thinking maybe it’s better to be stressed out for one weekend than two :) Hope your move goes smoothly!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #9My Profile

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life June 13, 2012 at 9:16 am

Oh yum! That caramelized onion dip sounds amazing! How delicious would that be with homemade baked potato chips? I’ve got my thinking cap on now! :-) Good luck with moving! I have moved 5 times in the last 6 years and am hoping to be done with it for a while! However, the reward of a new place is worth the struggle of packing
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..WIAW: Chicago EditionMy Profile

Kat June 13, 2012 at 9:30 am

Ummm I need that mug. STAT. So precious!!
As for moving, I typically choose the fast and speedy lol When we last moved, I just wanted it DONE. And once I start something, I usually go crazy until its finished lol
Kat recently posted..Well Worth the WaitMy Profile

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 13, 2012 at 9:41 am

Love Will’s face after tasting the dip! Lately my go-to evening snack has been greek yogurt, fruit, and granola :D.
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Opening UpMy Profile

chelcie @ chelcie's food files June 13, 2012 at 9:50 am

all of your eats look so delicious! especially the sound of that caramelized onion dip..oh my goodness..it sounds heavenly
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Pesto Crusted SalmonMy Profile

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! June 13, 2012 at 10:05 am

that Greek yogurt onion dip sounds so good!!!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Happy Birthday To You…My Profile

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries June 13, 2012 at 10:14 am

haha i love your way of thinking with the OIAJ! i’d do the same thing. :) lately my go-to evening snack has been cereal. i went way too long without that stuff! love you girl!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #38: Where Did My Appetite Go?!My Profile

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie June 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

I love popcorn in that picture! Also, your roommate is so sweet! Good luck in your new adventure :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Tuesday Night BBQMy Profile

krystal@coffeecardiogoddess June 13, 2012 at 10:39 am

I’m moving in 2 weeks so I feel you on the packing. I need to get started! Starting tomorrow! Haha I really want some oats in a jar. I’m sooo close to finishing off my jar of white chocolate wonderful. Friday morning will be my day I think. Or maybe even tomorrow:)
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..WIAW: On my OwnMy Profile

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell June 13, 2012 at 10:42 am

I love your blueberry swirl! It’s so pretty!
I made one of Jessica’s cupcake recipes for a friend’s party the other day and they’re still talking about it today, haha
Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell recently posted..WIA now that I’m home from schoolMy Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups June 13, 2012 at 10:45 am

Awww, all you farewell Orlando posts are making me sad! I need to try that onion dip. Sounds delish!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Tako CheenaMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 13, 2012 at 10:48 am

Moving is the pits! I wish you a easy move, though!

I have been loving the combination of blueberries & peanut butter lately! So good!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Health Benefits of BlueberriesMy Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles June 13, 2012 at 10:57 am

I love that you did that with your peanut butter jar—- come on, it was all for just condensing ;) you don’t want to move two jars!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..I envy you….My Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 13, 2012 at 11:15 am

Ahhh good luck with the move!!!

Danielle@ Clean Food Creative Fitness June 13, 2012 at 11:17 am

Looks like an awesome day! Good luck with the move! I love that pandora charm too, what a great friend!
Danielle@ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..What I ate WednesdayMy Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm June 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Frozen banana soft serve is my favorite!! So easy, so cold and so filling. It’s perfect :)
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..What I {Plan To Eat} Ate Wednesday & TIU Check-inMy Profile

Lindsay Loves Veggies June 13, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Yay! Mason jar love!

Amy June 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I was wondering about how many calories do you try to get in each day since working to up your calories since the fall? I know fuel needed is very individual but I’m working on re-eveluating my intake. I’m not always a great judge by photos but would say this day looks around 1600-1700, but I have no clue what calorie or nutrient content of the Thai food!

Brittany June 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hey Amy! Unfortunately these pictures aren’t really the easiest to interpret– I did partake in the chip dipping, and a spoonful of nut butter naturally goes in my mouth first before a spoonful hits my bowl. I’m trying not to get TOO focused on calories on my blog (or on a daily basis in general) but I will say that my daily intake ballparks closely to this chart here: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/estimated-calorie-requirement

I hope this helps! Best of luck to you :)
Brittany recently posted..WIAW: Last Orlando HurrahMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I love me some major blueberries!

And thank you for the French Onion dip recipe – growing up the chips and French onion dip combo was my absolute fave. I find 2% Greek yogurt harder to find in the supermarket but when I do, I stock up on it. A nutritionist explained to me that the body absorbs calcium much better when it’s accompanied by a little bit of fat, so she always recommends having lowfat dairy as opposed to nonfat (lower calcium absorption) or fullfat (too much saturated fat). So if it helps, stick with the 2%! I love the taste and thicker texture too, and the nutritionals are really not that different!

Brittany June 21, 2012 at 11:23 am

Oh wow, I’m really late in commenting on this but thank you so much for that bit of info! Really useful stuff right there!
Brittany recently posted..Blogging Policy & Protein OatsMy Profile

Annette@FitnessPerks June 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Mmmm I love cottage cheese with a nut butter and fruit. Great combo!! Good luck with the move, honey :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Houseboat Vacay DelightsMy Profile

Emily @ I'd Rather Walk June 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Apples and nutbutter (whichever kind speaks to me)

Sara @my less serious life June 13, 2012 at 1:25 pm

ok so i’m into cottage cheese right now, but haven’t yet tried it in a sweet form. like the thought though – so thanks for the inspiration!

Allison @ Running Through Red Lights June 13, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I wish I had your dedication when it comes to packing. My husband and I are huge procrastinators when it comes to big projects like that, so we put it off for as long as possible! I hope you enjoy your last few days!

My go-to evening snack is usually air-popped popcorn with a little sea salt and black pepper. I may have to make that my afternoon snack, though. It sounds so good right now!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Record-Setting 18 Teams Complete the 2012 Bellin Run 10K, Sponsored by Bellin HealthMy Profile

Cinnamon @eatpraytri June 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Ok that last bowl looks a little….interesting. ;-) I love your mug and that shrimp dish looks amaaaaazing. GOOD LUCK with the move! I’m sure it will be crazy but a fun adventure for sure.
Did you get the books already? I hope they arrive before you are outta there!!
Cinnamon @eatpraytri recently posted..{What I ate} Wednesday- snack timeMy Profile

Brittany June 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I actually gave you the address to my home in Miami, just in case I was gone by the time you mailed them :) So no worries! I will be getting them soon (and I can’t wait!)

Thank you again so much for going through the effort of sending them out to me. You are truly a blessing <3
Brittany recently posted..WIAW: Last Orlando HurrahMy Profile

Cinnamon @eatpraytri June 13, 2012 at 4:53 pm

saawweeet! I mailed them last week so they should be waiting there for ya when you get there. whew! have a GREAT move!!

Kristin June 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Noooo! I forbid you to leave :p

Brittany @ Britt's Blurbs June 13, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Yum that dip sounds delish!
My go-to evening snack is typically dates with almond butter or frozen banana slices with almond/peanut butter heated in the microwave for a bit!
Brittany @ Britt’s Blurbs recently posted..Sensible SnackingMy Profile

Maren June 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I love that you’re able to pack like that. I’m more of a all in one swoop kinda girl. I wake up at like 5am and go to town with boxes.

You away is much better and probably much more organized. :-)
Maren recently posted..WIAW: then and now editionMy Profile

Nikki June 13, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I am seriously SO excited for you and all of the great things that are coming up in your future. Obviously, you are loved and blessed by those around you — how awesome of your roommate! Awesome eats, too. And it truly must be love if Will let you take over his jar for your oatmeal pleasure :)
Nikki recently posted..WIAW–Georgian Goodness and Dessert RecipeMy Profile

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles June 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm

God luck wiht the move!!!

Talia @ Bite Size Wellness June 13, 2012 at 5:24 pm

That dip is one to pin! Thanks!
Lately I have been loving Dreyer’s Fruit Bars in the evening. But that could be because it is summer. We will see what I get all fanatic about when the humidity isn’t at 1000% (not exaggerating!).
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Get Passionate about Passion FruitMy Profile

Jessica June 13, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Mmmm…PB & Co. chocolate PB is my all-time favorite! I haven’t had it in what seems like forever! Now I am totally craving it!
Jessica recently posted..WIAW: Help! I Think I Have a Problem…My Profile

Kailey June 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

love all the Thai food you’ve been having :) SO delicious!
Good luck with packing girlie
Kailey recently posted..Wrappin’ It UpMy Profile

Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body June 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm

The swirl at the bottom of your breakfast is awesome! Usually I prefer strawberries or raspberries, but all of a sudden I really want blueberries! The new charm is beautiful :)
Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body recently posted..Things to Improve OnMy Profile

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes June 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I want to make that onion dip! My evening snack is always casein with any or all of greek yogurt, pumpkin, nut butters and cinnamon. I love it too much to ever have anything else.
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Jacked Pack ReviewMy Profile

Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 13, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Packing can certainly be a b*tch and a half, but it does seem like you are well on your way Brittany! I am loving all of this Thai food you are having, it motivates me to get my bum out there and try something new or you know, make it myself for a real challenge!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..WIAW- (A Questionable) Unproductive HabitMy Profile

Pure2raw twins June 13, 2012 at 9:15 pm

late night snack is our protein thin mints :)
good luck with the packing and moving, we know your pain as we are still going through boxes and packing. it seems to never end haha always more boxes and things to put away.
xoxo
L&M
Pure2raw twins recently posted..perfect fit proteinMy Profile

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food June 14, 2012 at 8:08 am

Ahhh I’ve been craving green smoothies like it’s nobodies business… Gotta get me some spinach! Mango is so good in smoothies too. Nice job on the workout!
Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food recently posted..gluten free dietsMy Profile

Living, Learning, Eating June 14, 2012 at 9:27 am

I love your evening snack! And the desperate oats in a jar, haha – sounds JUST like something I’d do :P And judging by his face, the dip is spot on. Need to make that ASAP!
xoxo,
LLE
Living, Learning, Eating recently posted..WIAW #42: If You Don’t Feel Like Chewing Much…My Profile

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen June 14, 2012 at 9:52 am

That smoothie is gorgeous! I’ve been on a smoothie kick lately too. Also, my new favorite go to meal is frozen bananas. I’ve been blending them in a food processor so they are like soft serve ice cream *so friggin delicious* and then I top them with a bit of homemade magic shell: coconut oil + almond butter + vanilla stevia drops. Complete heaven (and health) in a bowl!
Amber @ Slim Pickin’s Kitchen recently posted..Banana Split Breakfast BundlesMy Profile

kaceyjt June 14, 2012 at 10:05 am

unfortunately, my go-to evening snack usually involves peanut butter and ice cream:)
kaceyjt recently posted..Tomatoes, Cake-decorating and Crystal BridgesMy Profile

Brittany June 21, 2012 at 11:25 am

Why, that’s not unfortunate at all ;)
Brittany recently posted..Blogging Policy & Protein OatsMy Profile

Alysha @Shesontherun June 14, 2012 at 11:01 am

I’ve moved about 6 times in the last 5 years, so I feel your pain! I hope the move goes smoothly! And I love that bracelet!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..PB Craze Review + National Peanut Butter Cookie DayMy Profile

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Your OIAJ looks AMAZING! I’m really glad my nut butter jar is almost ready for one of those. ;)
Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner recently posted..Doctor’s Appointment + What Kat Ate #10!My Profile

Rach June 14, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Hahaha! I love how you improvised on the OIAJ! ;)

Sweet charm for your bracelet. :)
Rach recently posted..This week’s fun (plus Jamaican Chicken Stew!)My Profile

Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 14, 2012 at 8:22 pm

oh dannng girl so many delicious eats, and I toooooootally need to try that onion dippppppppp~~it’s been so long since I’ve eaten something like that. And what a lovely little mug. <3
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Eating BeautifullyMy Profile

Meg June 14, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Gina is fabulous :) I remember doing her summer shape up two years ago and then a bit last year, too! :)

Gosh I hate packing! I moved FOUR times in London so far :( I never want to move again, haha! Good luck sweetie! Thinking of you xo
Meg recently posted..[It] Doesn’t Define YouMy Profile

gina (fitnessista) June 14, 2012 at 11:32 pm

thank you for the shout out, lovely! glad you had a great workout :)

Brooke M. June 15, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I just love reading your blogs, you are such a blessing!! You have to tell me where you got your coffee mug! It’s absolutely beautiful and the verse on it is one of my favorites!! Good luck with your moving adventures :)

Brittany June 21, 2012 at 11:26 am

Thank you so much, Brooke! I got it at The Family Christian Store :)
Brittany recently posted..Blogging Policy & Protein OatsMy Profile

Lot-O-Choc June 16, 2012 at 10:07 am

Just found your blog..love it! Your oats in a jar look amazing, totally understand the emptying of it to satisfy a craving haha!