Friday Things, Second Edition

by Brittany on April 27, 2012

Okay, time to lighten up the heavy topics up in hurr.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post called “Friday Things” which ended up being a compilation of random thoughts and updates that were going on in my life. No better time but the present to bring it back!

1. Whole Foods clam chowder is where it’s at,

clam chowder

and the watered down sweet potato-quinoa soup is NOT.

sweet potato quinoa soup

2. Popcorn has discovered that he can scratch his back by rolling around like a beetle on my carpet. He now spends about 3/4ths of his day in this position.

popcorn

..Because I know that you all were dying for an update on Popcorn’s latest activities ;)

3. Thanks to the great folks over at NASM, I was offered the opportunity to further my CPT certification by studying for/adding on the credential of Fitness Nutrition Specialist.

fitness nutrition specialist

Source

The concentration is designed for anyone interested in nutrition, whether they have a personal training certification or not. It consists of an online course with a computer-based textbook, and is designed to “eliminate the sea of noise, confusion and misinformation about nutrition.” Um, talk about PERFECT TIMING for me! Not only is this a fantastic opportunity to develop my skills and knowledge in the area, but this will specifically be helpful as I strive to learn more about own my personal nutritional choices.

4. Speaking of nutritional habits, I walked into my kitchen yesterday evening to find Will creating quite the feast..

will cooking

meal

Why yes, those would be bacon wrapped chicken tenderloins, topped with muenster cheese. And yes, that would ALSO be a salad on his plate.

Ah, the sweet smell of progress ;)

5. Tahini & I are becoming best friends. Our relationship is especially flourishing when I find it thrown all over a big plate of roasted veggies.

tahini veggies

6. Thanks to my fantastic roommate, Will & I were blessed with a last-minute opportunity to go see the national tour of The Lion King on Tuesday night.

lion king

The show was AMAZING, and we were especially impressed with the 9-year-old boy who played Simba. Oh, how I miss my musical theater days..

7. Popcorn and I have been loving our walks as of late.  I used to really underestimate the value of just getting outside and trolling through the neighborhood, but lately it’s been sounding like an ongoing brilliant idea. Add in some beautiful Florida weather, my neon laces, & a few tracks of Hillsong United and I’m more than game.

popcorn walk

8. I FINALLY finished Mere Christianity and it has officially made it onto my list of all-time favorite novels.

Being a relatively new Christian (not even a year-old yet!), I’ve had MANY unanswered questions resting on my heart that would sometimes allow spiritual doubts to creep in. C.S. Lewis is such a gifted and brilliant man that his logical approach to accepting Christ truly eliminated a lot of these reservations for me.

mere christianity

Each chapter contains SUCH eye-opening material that it’s not exactly what I would call a “speed read”—I found that I got the most out of the novel by reflecting on each new topic one at a time before moving on to the next section.

9. Brown rice tortillas make great pizza crust.

chicken pizza

Especially with green peppers, goat cheese, organic shredded chicken, and dried basil

chicken tortilla pizza

…and burnt crust 8)

A bit to think about: Any great plans for the weekend?

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 27, 2012 at 8:33 am

I love CS Lewis but I’ve never heard of that book. My dog scratches her back on the under-side of our kitchen chairs, walking circles around the table underneath each one. :)

Have a fantastic weekend! <3
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Friday Five & A List of LessonsMy Profile

jana @ newly wife healthy life April 27, 2012 at 8:33 am

Bacon wrapped chicken tenders? Sounds amazing, my husband would be all about that! :-) This weekend I have a lot of home projects I am working on and plan on fully enjoying a four day weekend! I am so excited!
jana @ newly wife healthy life recently posted..Panko-Breaded Mustard Pork LoinMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It April 27, 2012 at 8:34 am

So glad you got to see Lion King! The cast is so talented – I saw it in Tampa a year or two ago and it was mindblowing.

My weekend should be pretty exciting! I’m going to Jax for a concert, a beach day and a food/beer/music festival tonight.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 27, 2012 at 8:38 am

OK, I need to read that book! Don’t let me forget … seriously. Like, ask me in a few weeks if I’ve picked it up yet haha. I really need to get some new books to read (in addition to the Bible) because I’ve been feeling a little “stagnant” in my relationship with the Lord recently. I’m LOVING our church and loving the services, but then during the rest of the week, I’m just not feeling connected … which is completely 100% my fault for letting other things come first. Not good!

This weekend … Nashville baby! ;) Can’t wait!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Nashville or Bust!My Profile

Emma April 27, 2012 at 8:42 am

I bet that nutrition certification will be very helpful both in professional and personal endeavors! Do you think you could get that certification on its own without the personal trainer cert? I’ve always been interested in learning more about nutrition/getting some kind of credentials for it!
Emma recently posted..Triple Almond BitesMy Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 8:45 am

Actually yes! You don’t need to have a PT cert to get it :)

Linz @ Itz Linz April 27, 2012 at 8:43 am

dinner plans with good friends (and their new baby!) tonight, last girls soccer game saturday, and babysitting my nephew on sunday! not too busy, but enough goin’ on! have a great weekend! :) :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Planning Your WorkoutsMy Profile

Alexandra April 27, 2012 at 8:51 am

Bahaha popcorn rolling on the floor is too cute!! :) And dang your dinner with the bacon wrapped noms looks like a restaurant dish, yall are chefs!
Oh and yay for Mere Christianity too, I read it in high school and fell in love, CS Lewis is such a fantastic author :)
Have a wonderful Friday Britt!!
Alexandra recently posted..recent realizationsMy Profile

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 27, 2012 at 9:05 am

Okay I definitely need to read that book! And I need to try brown rice tortillas, I just can’t seem to find them anywhere. I’m so excited you got to see The Lion King! I saw it on Broadway and it was absolutely amazing. Hope you have a great weekend pretty lady <3
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Food SurveyMy Profile

Lori Lynn April 27, 2012 at 9:07 am

My cat Addie will sleep in that position, on her back. I’ve never known why that’s so comfortable for her, but she’s a big cat, so maybe that’s why!
Your pizza looks really good, even with the burnt crust. Pizza is one of my favorite foods.
No weekend plans, except a trip to Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s. Always fun!
Lori Lynn recently posted..Friday MishmashMy Profile

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 27, 2012 at 9:18 am

Haha Teddy does the beetle dance a lot too :) And question – do you just throw tahini (right from the jar) on your salad? Or do you make some kind of a dressing? I never knew you could use it plain.
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Sweet Potato ChiliMy Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 8:49 am

I’ve been mixing equal parts tahini & water, then throwing in a bit of honey or agave for sweetness. I really dont know if thats normal to do, but it tastes good to me!! Especially on roasted or sauteed veggies :D

Kat April 27, 2012 at 9:19 am

what a great man you have there!! Mine isnt into cooking, at all. Unless you count top ramen as real food ;)
And c.s. lewis is the man!! A bit hard to understand at times, but such a passionate writer!
Kat recently posted..Spelt Pancakes–Two WaysMy Profile

natalie @ southern fit foodie April 27, 2012 at 9:23 am

That pizza looks delicious! I am attending a certification course for sports nutrition in June, and I am so excited about it!

I am super pumped about this weekend – Kristen and I are meeting up in Nashville!
natalie @ southern fit foodie recently posted..Randomness at its bestMy Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 8:51 am

Ooo! That sounds AWESOME!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups April 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

Parko uses the same back scratching technique…but on the bed, therefore messing up all the sheets and pillows.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Pad Thai times twoMy Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 9:00 am

HAHAHA

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 27, 2012 at 9:46 am

You have been a busy girl as of late! In a good/great way it seems. …..My weekend plans are still up in the air but hopefully some quality husband time will be in order!~Happy Friday~

Laura@keepinghealthygettingstylish April 27, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hi Brittany,

Thanks for your comment on my blog! Gosh we are in such similar places right now with this HA, it looks like you have a great plan of action to address it though, and although I wouldn’t wish this on anyone I do feel a little less alone now, obviously a few of us blogger girls have fallen foul of losing a bit too much weight for our bodies. I’ll be following your blog from now on and if you ever need to chat drop me an email any time :-)

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 9:02 am

Thanks a lot Laura! You’re right– you’re NOT alone!!

Theresa April 27, 2012 at 9:56 am

hahaha nacho does the same thing..he loves rolling around all over the place. chihuahuas are so silly, in the best kind of way :)
Theresa recently posted..My decision to join Team in Training and Kevin’s story…My Profile

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie April 27, 2012 at 10:19 am

Ok I definitely love number 2 because I DID want a popcorn update :) Seriously, my obsession with dogs is becoming unhealthy! I also love LOVE number 8. My parents have that book so I am going to steal it from them next time I see them!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Great Food, Great CompanyMy Profile

Rebecca April 27, 2012 at 10:34 am

Lewis’s style is much different, I think mostly because he’s from a different time period (and place) and they spoke a lot differently. There were even things in the Narnia books that I had to make my dad explain as he read them to me. I haven’t read Mere Christianity yet, although I think I’ve looked at it. We have most of Lewis’s books at home and I think the majority of them are sitting on my dresser because I meant to read them over breaks or something. I’m currently going through A Year With Aslan, which is kind of reflections based on passages from The Chronicles. It’s a little different than I thought it would be, but I like it.

I’m kind of jealous of your trip to see the Lion King. But I’m lovin’ the Popcorn picture. :D

My weekend plans include finishing some homework and then doing nothing. My goal for the last couple of weeks of classes (20-something school days left! ) is to get most/all of my homework done by the weekends so I’m not so stressed. Particularly since I’m gone next weekend and will probably be gone the weekend before finals (…three weeks from now?) as well.
My roommate is planning on spending this weekend writing a huge paper, so I may not see her much.
Rebecca recently posted..Awareness.My Profile

Rachel April 27, 2012 at 10:45 am

That course sounds so interesting! :) and right up ur alley! Love the post…especially when it features Tahini butter ;)))))
Rachel recently posted..Riding The Oat Boat!My Profile

Jessie April 27, 2012 at 10:48 am

Popcorn is so cute! I’m glad you liked Mere Christianity. I read it a long time ago, and I kind of want to read it again!
Jessie recently posted..Thankful ThursdayMy Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 9:27 am

Haha you should! I’m making Will read it with me now :D haha

krystal@coffeecardiogoddess April 27, 2012 at 11:20 am

Your dogs name is Popcorn!! That is awesome. That is all:) If you look at my page you will see Im pretty much obsessed with my dogs too so I love when others share about their pups. I really want to see Lion king! My husband and I went to Disney on Ice last night and it was super good. Have a great weekend!
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..Disney on Ice!My Profile

Annette@FitnessPerks April 27, 2012 at 11:29 am

I LOVE that book too! It’s such a great one :)

Weekend plans include spending as much time as possible with my husband–errands, relaxin, date night, cleaning (ugh), laundry(yuck), church, and nappin. He’s about to get realy busy, so I’m trying to soak it all up by doing everything together–it’s quite fun actually!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..8 ConfessionsMy Profile

Alison April 27, 2012 at 11:54 am

My apologies if this has already been addressed in the comments, i’m too lazy to read them all, but when you use a brown rice tortilla for a pizza crust does it get nice and crispy? How do you go about baking it? Do you put the oven on bake or broil? I have tried making these before and I found the sauce made the rice tortilla soggy instead of crisp. So I guess a detailed explanation of what you put on it and how you do it is what I’m looking for :)

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hey Alison!
I’m going to be upfront– I’m still in the works of figuring out a way for the crust to stay crispy! This pizza was just broiled for a few minutes, but the inner part of the tortilla kind of fell apart. Once I get the tactic down (which I’m determined to do!) I will absolutely post about it :)

Alison April 28, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks Britt! :)

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 27, 2012 at 11:55 am

How beautiful is it outside! I am looooving it. I am totally dying to go to Whole Foods. I think their hot bar is calling my name ;)
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..ShenanigansMy Profile

Maren April 27, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I love this post idea. I’d totally steal it if all my posts weren’t random already… That bacon wrapped chicken looks so yummy. Anything bacon wrapped is yummy though… let’s be real. Congratulations on your nutrition class!!! That is so awesome.
Maren recently posted..when you need bb guns at the gymMy Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 9:31 am

Thanks Maren!!

Stephanie @My Freckled Life April 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Haha, my dog Laney TOTALLY squirms around on her back like that all the time too! Except I can rarely get her to keep cute clothes on like Popcorn. And I LOVE Mere Christianity! I used to work in a Christian Bookstore in HS, and all of C.S. Lewis’ books are really terrific. Also, if you’re ever looking for some good Christian fiction – check out Redeeming Love. Hands down on of the best fiction books I’ve ever read, and I’ve now read it at least 4 times!
Stephanie @My Freckled Life recently posted..Martha MomentMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm

aren’t walks the best?!?! i used to underestimate them too. now i look forward to them!
mere christianity is an AWESOME book!! so glad you loved it!
and that pizza looks incredible! goat cheese makes everything better. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Protein Blackberry & Blueberry MuffinMy Profile

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola April 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm

That nutrition course sounds awesome! I’ve been thinking about that myself lately and whether I want to get my certification in something like that as well! I’d really enjoy learning more about the subject too! And I LOVE musical theater as well! How fun that you got to see the Lion King! That’s great about the book too- I’ve heard it’s a wonderful read, so I’m going to look into it!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..GGG Restaurant Review: Serendipty 3My Profile

Caitlin April 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm

That pizza looks amazing. Burnt crust is the BEST! I’ve never tried brown rice crust. Is it frozen or homemade?

I adore the fact that your dog’s name is Popcorn. That is too perfect!
Caitlin recently posted..#RBKFITBLOG and Guest Post!My Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 9:52 am

its was a brown rice tortilla!

Meg April 27, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I am so upset :( I miss so many posts because Google reader hasn’t been updating me :(

your pizza looks fab girl! I agree – tortillas are great crust makers!!!!!!! And thanks for recommending that book! I am looking forward to reading it
Meg recently posted..High Five Friday #13: Personal BestsMy Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 9:54 am

thats so strange :( Maybe try re-subscribing??

Alex @ therunwithin April 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm

That pizza looks amazing, and a what a cook!

Cinnamon @eatpraytri April 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I love that you read Mere Christianity. I have committed to read or listen to it every year b/c it has SO MUCH in it, that I need to hear it over and over again. I would also encourage you to look into getting an Apologetics Bible. I have one (b/c I love the tough questions and deep thinking aspect) and I find it invaluable. My mom has also written some great bible studies for women, if you want a couple I could let you know which ones I have (once I find them after I unpack from our move) and send them your way. ;-)
AND I love the Popcorn updates. The more the merrier!
Cinnamon @eatpraytri recently posted..The day from heck and ColdplayMy Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 9:56 am

How sweet of you! And I’ll definitely have to check out the Apologetics Bible. Yeah if its not too much trouble, I could always use a new bible study for women :)

Kelly @ No Sugar Sweet Life April 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Love the recap and all the pics :) Your dog is too cute!! Mine roll on the floor like that after baths or when they’ve gotten a special treat. So if Popcorn is doing that 75% of the time, it must mean he’s really happy A LOT :) I’m making homemade pizza tonight, and you’ve inspired me with those toppings… YUM!!!
Kelly @ No Sugar Sweet Life recently posted..{Twisted Watermelon Juice} with Grey GooseMy Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm April 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Congrats on the addition to your already certification!!

This weekend is jazz fest! I can’t wait for fun in the sun :)
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..DivergentMy Profile

Becca April 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I saw the Lion King a couple of years ago and thought it was amazing! I love walking my dog :) I like to think that he enjoys it as much as I do.
Becca recently posted..Vacation On The BrainMy Profile

Tara Burner April 27, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Too funny to Popcorn…
Chico does the same thing and goes nutso
I video’d him once…hysterical.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3maV_id3gQ
Tara Burner recently posted..Fitspo Friday Feature – Laura Williams a/k/a @girlsgonesportyMy Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 9:57 am

HAHA! That video is so sweet!

Nikki April 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm

That nutrition cert IS perfect for you! And sooooooo jealous of you seeing the Lion King!!! I saw it in Toronto when I was in elementary school which means that I don’t really remember much of it :( Oh, and how could I forget: Popcorn is adorbs.
Nikki recently posted..Drum roll please…My Profile

Sarah @ feeedingBrain and body April 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Isn’t tahini just great! I’ve been having it on almost anything for months, its so versatile! I haven’t read Mere Christianity but I will have a lot more time for reading so I will add it to my lists of books to read!
Sarah @ feeedingBrain and body recently posted..The Unsweetened TruthMy Profile

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 9:58 am

Do you have any recommendations for using tahini?! I’m rather new to it and have just been throwing it on veggies with a bit of water & honey!

Sarah @ feeding brain and body April 28, 2012 at 11:09 am

Yes, I love using it as a topping on sweet potato and greek yogurt. A bit weird, but really tasty! Its great as a dressing mixed with apple cider vinagar and drizzled on salad or popcorn (not your dog of course haha)! One time I was out of chocolate so I even mixed tahini with cocoa powder and almond milk and it made a great chocolate drizzle!
Sarah @ feeding brain and body recently posted..The Unsweetened TruthMy Profile

Baking Serendipity April 27, 2012 at 11:29 pm

That CS Lewis book is on my list of things to read! And my dog totally does the roll to scratch his back move…a million times a day!
Baking Serendipity recently posted..Brown Butter, Brown Sugar, Hazelnut Flour CookiesMy Profile

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 28, 2012 at 8:27 am

Mere Christianity is an awesome book. I’m so glad you liked it!
Where do you get your brown rice tortillas?? They look fantastic!
This weekend my husband’s parents are in town visiting! :)

Brittany April 28, 2012 at 10:01 am

I get them at Whole Foods!

Emily Butler April 28, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for posting about that nutrition credential, I would love to get some kind of certification on nutrition, for job purposes someday as well as what I’m just interested in knowing about anyways, but I’m not sure personal training is something for me, I wish I knew of a legit site where I can get a certification in just nutrition?? Anyways, that pizza looks great, I must try that!! And tahini, ek, I bought some to make hummus and it’s so nasty plain, I must figure out other ways to use it though!
Emily Butler recently posted..“Pooridge Recipe” and The Three Bears!My Profile

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen April 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Yum! That pizza looks awesome! I lurve goat cheese! Your puppy is too cute too!
Amber @ Slim Pickin’s Kitchen recently posted..Elphaba’s “Wicked” ElixirMy Profile

Kelly @leafynotbeefy April 28, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I love CS Lewis and Mere Christianity. And that pizza? whoa! :)
Kelly @leafynotbeefy recently posted..Saturday happeningsMy Profile

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 28, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I REMEMBER SEEING “THE LION KING” ON BROADWAY! I was 7 years old and leaving in England at the time. I absolutely LOVED it! :)
Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner recently posted..Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis + Fundraiser + WorkoutMy Profile

Diana April 29, 2012 at 1:38 am

Thanks for the review on Mere Christianity! I bought the book a few months ago and haven’t gotten around to reading it. Your comments on it gave me some motivation to read it soon!

Julia April 29, 2012 at 10:03 am

I LOVE Mere Christianity. Have read it three times over the years and want to read it again in addition to his other writings.
Julia recently posted..UnmotivatedMy Profile

Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 29, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I looooooooove CS Lewis!! There’s also a mere christianity play that tours round the country! You should check it out :) And yessss to Hillsong United! And yess to progress–I sure love that smell. Guess what, Greg loves oatmeal now and is alright with overnight oats. *gasp*!!! :P

Patty April 29, 2012 at 9:33 pm

What a yummy and fun time you’ve been having!

ps. your pup is so ridiculously cute!
Patty recently posted..Lately and Letting GoMy Profile

Danielle D April 29, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog today and started reading and couldn’t stop! I think it’s safe to say you’ve gained a new reader :) Your story is super motivating & inspiring like so many other healthy living blogs. Can’t wait to follow you from now on! p.s. your dog is totes adorable