Undercover Maple

by Brittany on April 23, 2012

Happy Monday!

Ever have one of those weekends that start out not-so-great and get you thinking that the whole thing will disappoint, only to find that because of that one upsetting moment you are able to embrace the greatness of the other days even more intensely? If I sound like a Looney Tune you can go ahead and skip this paragraph, but that’s exactly what happened to me. A miscommunication between Will and I was NOT how I wanted to start my Saturday, but once we got past our off-moment and talked through our thoughts, the rest of the weekend fell into the running for top 10 weekends of my life.

Okay, now I’m just being dramatic. Let’s move on before it’s too late, shall we? ;)

Scenes from this weekend:

The book I ALMOST bought Will as an early birthday present–

cat hair book

The book(s) I ACTUALLY bought Will as an early birthday present–

will cs lewis

c.s. lewis collection

Froyo & fellowship with Drew

froyo bibles

froyo

Thai House reopened!

thai house

Anddd a new maple nut butter! When skimming the selection at Publix for my beloved Sunbutter, I noticed this new variety staring me dead in the eyes–

maranatha maple nut butter

As an all-time lover of Justin’s maple almond butter (but not a lover of the price), I decided to bypass my usual Sunbutter pickup and give Maranatha a go. Into the bowl went:

• 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill GF Oats
  • Sliced banana
  • Stevia
  • Cinnamon
  • Vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp ground flax
  • Topped with an undercover spoonful of my new maple almond butter & unsweetened shredded coconut

oats coconut

It was a WIN! Seriously, I was very impressed with how similar this was to Justin’s, but I’ll have to take it for a few more spins before I make any changes to my official nut butter ranking list.

Aaand I’m just throwing this out there, but these pictures just so happened to be taken on the SECOND morning this week that I woke up late enough to eat breakfast in a naturally lit setting. Who am I?

oats coconut bowl

Sorry 4:30 AM wakeup calls, but I’m starting to see better days.

A bit to think about: Any highlights from your weekend?

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life April 23, 2012 at 9:14 am

CS Lewis is a good choice, but ‘Crafting with Cat Hair” sounds like a New York Times best seller.. ;-) Lol! I am glad you had a great weekend! A highlight of my weekend was a date night with my husband and a wedding!

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Haha! It sure does! I might be regretting my decision now that I think about it…
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Kat April 23, 2012 at 9:15 am

glad you and WIll worked through the kink!! The hubby and I have a few of those every now and then, and they suck. BUT, it makes the good times THAT much better :) I just love making memories with him, all the bad stuff fades away in NO time!
Kat recently posted..Quinoa Spiked GranolaMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It April 23, 2012 at 9:16 am

The maple hasn’t popped up in my grocery store yet, but have you seen the Caramel almond butter? Ugh – it’s almost like candy. I dont like nut butters straight from the jar usually but I was licking that off my fingers!

PS – I finally did hibachi and I finally understand your love for the white sauce! Seriously – what is in that??? It’s crack! Do I remember you making a homemade version, or am I just imagining things?

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm

WHAT! Caramel and almond butter?! No I have not! Can I buy it at Publix?

And in case you didn’t see my comment on your page– no I’ve never made it :( I wish I could say that I did!
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It April 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I found it in the Publix in Spring Hill – not sure if it’s made it up to the one over here yet.
That comment made me sad…but we will crack the code sometime!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 23, 2012 at 9:21 am

I think the highlight of the weekend for me was Friday night. I had made a simple dinner in the slow cooker, we found a good movie on HBO, and we just relaxed with a glass of wine. It was pretty nice! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Slow-Cooker Black Bean EnchiladasMy Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 23, 2012 at 9:24 am

I looove maranatha almond butter but I’ve never tried the maple! Yum :D
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Scattered SundayMy Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups April 23, 2012 at 9:26 am

Ahhh that book looks creepy! Glad you ended up having a great weekend!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..The windy cityMy Profile

chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 23, 2012 at 9:27 am

ooo I’ll have to keep a look out for that almond butter! Justin’s is my favorite also but it is quite pricey! I’m glad you ended up having a great weekend!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Grilled Pineapple GuacamoleMy Profile

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I found Justin’s Maple Almond Butter at Publix today for $7.00!!!!!!!!!
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Lori Lynn April 23, 2012 at 9:28 am

I love your oats combinations. It looks really good. I had a rather productive weekend, but nothing really too exciting. :-)
Lori Lynn recently posted..Goodbye Weekend-Hello Monday!My Profile

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition April 23, 2012 at 9:55 am

IT’s so much fun to try all the delicious flavors of nut butters than are out there
Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition recently posted..5 Things Yoga has taught me about LifeMy Profile

Alexandra April 23, 2012 at 10:01 am

What a wonderful weekend! That cat hair book is too funny haha and your froyo looks delicious!! I’m also diggin that maple nut butta, I bet it gives such a great flavor! :)
Alexandra recently posted..“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us”My Profile

Theresa April 23, 2012 at 10:09 am

OMAIGGAAA that almond butter sounds so good! i havent seen around yet but i will def snatch it up if i do! :)
Theresa recently posted..Productive weekends and Giveaway winner!My Profile

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:35 pm

HAHA! I’m totally imagining you sounding that out :D
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama April 23, 2012 at 10:21 am

Our local news station did a story about a women who makes yarn and knits with car hair… you can bring in bags of your cats sheddings and she will spin yarn and custom make something for you…. I thought only in NH would some do this but apparently not because there is a book about it!
Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama recently posted..Skinny Grilled Chicken and Potato SaladMy Profile

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Wow!!! So tell me– how many bags did you bring in? ;)
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Rebecca April 23, 2012 at 10:56 am

That CS Lewis book looks great! I’ll have to see if I can find it… Although that cat book seems like a good runner-up. :P

I thought I was going to die on my way to/from a field trip on Saturday morning… Pretty crazy driver. Saturday night we were invited to a friend’s house for dinner, which was fun. And yesterday I went to church and they fed us and we chatted about the sermon after. It was pretty good.
Rebecca recently posted..Flawless Friday: On Feeling StupidMy Profile

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

That cat book is too funny! And I think I’ve only woken up at 4:30 (or before) like once, maybe twice in my whole life – probably when I was flying to Europe or something. 7 is early for me!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Review: The Book ThiefMy Profile

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie April 23, 2012 at 11:36 am

I want that book for my parents, they love their cats :) Glad you ended up having such a great weekend and that fro yo looked awesome!

Liz @ Southern Charm April 23, 2012 at 11:59 am

Bahaha. Love the cat book!!

And that almond butter sounds amazing with the maple. I THINK I may have developed a nut allergy since my mouth goes numb every time I have had any these last two weeks, so I have to avoid until I get to the doctor. Assuming it’s some weird fluke .. I can’t wait to try that!!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..4 Month Bestie ChallengeMy Profile

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Oh no! Let me know how that goes– that must not be fun :( Does it do it even for coconut?
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm April 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Luckily, no! I have had quite a few coconut waters, and have cooked foods in coconut oil these last few weeks and have not had any issues there!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..So HardMy Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm April 24, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Just almonds and sesame seeds so far.
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..So HardMy Profile

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race April 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm

That Thai house dish looks amazing! :P
Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..Candy Land On IceMy Profile

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola April 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm

So sorry to hear that your weekend had a rough start but I’m glad you were able to turn it around and end up having a wonderful weekend! Thai food, fro yo and a new nutbutter all sound fantastic! The best part of my weekend was seeing the look on my Grandma’s face when I showed up as a surprise!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Sneak PeekMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 23, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Ooh that new nut butter sounds fabulous. I have to try that out – I just got some sachets of Justin’s flavours to try last time I was in the States, so if I like the maple one I think the Maranatha will be next on my list!
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..New Potato Portobello SaladMy Profile

Nikki April 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Awee I love that you didn’t let a little spat bring down the whole weekend!! And that cat book is hysterical!! I am going to show it to Trav :)
Nikki recently posted..Pre-pack ManiaMy Profile

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Does Geno have some extra fur lying around? ;)
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Annette@FitnessPerks April 23, 2012 at 1:38 pm

That fro yo looks AWESOME! That would’ve been my highlight of the weekend too :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..If You Put Your Mind To ItMy Profile

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Fro yo is the highlight of almost any day… maybe not my wedding day. But we didn’t get any that day, so I’ll never know! ;)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Makeshift Meals MondayMy Profile

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

HAHAHAHHAHAA! This cracked me up!!

Now that you mention it– I’m allergic to any cakes with wheat anyway! On my future wedding day, I vote that we bus everyone out to Menchies :D
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Meghan @ Making Love In the Kitchen April 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Yum, recipe looks great! I’d give Mara Nathas other butters a try- avoid the no stir ones myself though, can’t get past some of the sketchy oils in there!

Thanks for sharing- will have to test out this version in my own kitchen.

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 23, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Hahahaha seriously, there is a book like that??!! Too funny :). I’m glad that your weekend turned around and ended up being great! I loved my weekend because I didn’t have any work to do, so I could just relax and take it easy! I’m also really trying to listen to my body with working out and so I’ve done less exercise than I would like to, but I know it’s good for me.
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Random Monday MusingsMy Profile

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Again, GREAT work with that. It’s really tough stuff, and you’re an amazing woman for pulling through. I can’t wait to hear an update!
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats April 23, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Your fro yo looks so colorful! That has got to be my favorite way to eat fro-yo…load up the fruit! …Although I also love red velvet + cheesecake pieces.
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Fancy DinnerMy Profile

Paige @ Running Around Normal April 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm

We have a Thai House here too – it’s super yummy!
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Personal Trainer for a DayMy Profile

Cinnamon @eatpraytri April 23, 2012 at 6:56 pm

kinda creepy b/c right as I was reading your post, I had a little Justins maple almond butter packet in my hand!! WEIRD!!
That cat hair book is awesome. How does that get published???
Cinnamon @eatpraytri recently posted..Three things SundayMy Profile

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Awesome! Great minds think alike ;)
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Linz @ Itz Linz April 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Girls night out on Saturday night was my exciting weekend plans! I need to try that maranatha nut butter… you’re the second one who has said great things!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Dancing ShoesMy Profile

Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean April 23, 2012 at 8:31 pm

LOVE your froyo toppings girl! And coconut on oats! YUMM!!!

Errign April 23, 2012 at 8:52 pm

This reminded me how much I like pb&co mighty maple, but I also don’t like the price. I could probably make my own with my maple syrup and some peanut butter…I’ll report back :)
Errign recently posted..New Things.My Profile

Brittany April 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I’ll be waiting ;)
Brittany recently posted..Curves and AllMy Profile

Sarah @ feeedingBrain and body April 24, 2012 at 7:49 am

Froyo and fellowship sounds like the perfect combination! My weekend didn’t have very many highlights except for catching up with friends I haven’t seen in a while. Sometimes it’s the small uneventful things like catching up that I find the most enjoyable though :)
Sarah @ feeedingBrain and body recently posted..The Fear of FailureMy Profile

kaceyt April 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I hate it when something silly threatens to ruin an entire weekend! Good job talking things through:) A highlight from our weekend includes maybe finding the house we’re going to buy…we’re so nervous!
kaceyt recently posted..A Weekend ViewMy Profile