Welcome Home Hibachi

by Brittany on April 16, 2012

Hey guys! How was your weekend?

Because Will has been working a lot more consistently during the week, I always look forward to the weekends because I know that we’re in for a treat! This one was no exception—although at first we had plans to travel over to Tampa on Saturday evening, things changed and we decided to FINALLY see The Hunger Games instead. I’m pretty sure we’re two of the LAST people to see it too ;)

Regardless, we both thought the film was great for a book adaptation, and that they left out just the right amount of details to make for a solid movie. Not to mention that I loved Jennifer Lawrence! (..Sorry Kristen Stewart..)

Next stop—sushi :D

will sushi

Our best friend (the Yelp app) guided us to Sushi Lola’s, a hidden gem in the Winter Park area. I began with a refillable pot of green tea and Will rolled with his usual beer starter.

green tea beer

My inner intuitive eater ( ;) ) was sending me clues that I wasn’t AS hungry as I usually would be for dinner, so I stuck with a few of the smaller options to satisfy my belly: The miso soup,

miso soup

cucumber salad (loved how different this was!),

cucumber salad

and a California roll. Will, on the other hand, decided that he was hungry enough for two entrees so he got some type of crazy roll with almonds (which I don’t remember the name of)

sushi lolas

and a miso ramen soup.

ramen

Ohhhh yeahhhh. I tried the broth of this baby and it was great! Is it weird that I didn’t know there was such a thing as ramen outside of the prepackaged dry rectangles?

Saturday is to sushi as Sunday is to…

me froyo

FROYO!

drew will menchies

Drew is a mutual friend of ours, who also happens to be Rachel’s cousin (my first official trainee). Last year the three of us would meet up for froyo & fellowship nearly every single week, but the conflicting schedules of this semester have really prohibited us from keeping up any sort of consistency.

Needless to say, our catch-up date was long overdue!

I loaded up a vanilla, red velvet, and cookies & crème froyo bowl and topped it with berries & chocolate chips.

froyo

Afterwards we headed over to Whole Foods so I could pick up a “forbidden food” of mine (more on that later ;) ), and caught an awesome $5.99 deal on a pound of fresh wild-caught shrimpies. As simply as that, dinner was decided upon!

For any new Itty Bits readers out there, Will & I used to have a routine of making homemade hibachi at least once a week. Before we knew it, the signature dish grew to be JUST as good as the restaurant variety, if not better! Lately we’ve fallen off of the bandwagon, but last night’s shrimp steal brought potential back into our hearts.

will hibachi

homemade hibachi

homemade hibachi

And of course we had THE sauce 8)

vegetable sauce

Oh, the sauce.

the sauce

Just as perfect as I remember… :D

On another note, my Diva Cup got a lot of action in this post.

On another another note, I need to stop referring to it as a Diva Cup.

A bit to think about: Tell me about your weekend!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 16, 2012 at 8:54 am

Haha my weekend was a clone of yours! ;) Sushi AND frozen yogurt … and I even went to the same frozen yogurt shop! Too funny!! Glad you had such a great weekend!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A British Invasion.My Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It April 16, 2012 at 9:03 am

Oh yum, everything about this weekend looks awesome! Will’s almond crusted roll looks epic too. I’m jealous of all the creative sushi options for non-vegetarians.

My weekend was crazy – raced in Lakeland, may or may not have become someone’s girlfriend, danced Saturday night away and hit up the science center yesterday. PS – have you been to the science center? It’s FREAKING AWESOME! So much cooler than I ever would have imagined!

Brittany April 18, 2012 at 7:29 am

WHAT! Oh come on, the inner-girl in me (as opposed to the outer one?) needs more news on this boyfriend!!!!!!!!!

And no I haven’t! Where is it?
Brittany recently posted..WIAW: Random StyleMy Profile

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 16, 2012 at 9:08 am

Sounds and looks like an awesome and tasty weekend :D. I need to visit you so we can go to all of the restaurants that you visit. And you can make me one of your tasty looking meals ;) hehe.
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Marathon MondayMy Profile

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life April 16, 2012 at 9:44 am

Sushi Saturdays and Fro-Yo Sundays sounds like a plan my husband and I need to adopt! Looks like a fun weekend girl!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..His and Hers BrunchMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 16, 2012 at 9:53 am

lol i always laugh a little when you mention your “diva cup”. :) weekends are always better with sushi and froyo!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Easy Cheesy ManicottiMy Profile

Steph @ StephSnacks April 16, 2012 at 9:59 am

What a yummy weekend of eats! I had froyo last night, too :)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Sneak PeekMy Profile

Nescett @ bananaoats April 16, 2012 at 10:03 am

Mmmm! I love sushi SO much and now I’m craving it. At 7am. ;)
Nescett @ bananaoats recently posted..Monday Catch-UpMy Profile

Brittany April 18, 2012 at 7:30 am

No judgment :D
Brittany recently posted..WIAW: Random StyleMy Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 16, 2012 at 10:18 am

I just wanted to say that all of your pictures are soo clear and pretty!!! I am seriously craving some hibachi or sushi now. Both of those are my favorite.. oh and froyo ;D
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Recent Breakfast and Live FitMy Profile

Brittany April 18, 2012 at 7:31 am

Aw thanks, Brittany! I’ve been playing around with Lightroom lately
Brittany recently posted..WIAW: Random StyleMy Profile

Heather April 16, 2012 at 10:43 am

You aren’t the last people to see the movie. My boyfriend and I saw Hunger Games (finally!) this weekend and it was awesome!

Rebecca April 16, 2012 at 10:54 am

My weekend was boring. I should’ve done homework, but I watched movies and stuff instead. This Saturday my Spanish class is going to a restaurant (at 10am????), so that should be interesting.

I was not thrilled by the Hunger Games adaptation, but I’m probably one of the few who holds that opinion…
Rebecca recently posted..I needed this tonight.My Profile

Brittany April 18, 2012 at 7:32 am

That’s awesome! Is it so that you guys can speak in Spanish?
Brittany recently posted..WIAW: Random StyleMy Profile

Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers April 16, 2012 at 11:31 am

I wish I’d been enjoying sushi with my honey this weekend! He’s actually been traveling out of state for some school interviews. But I did get some good fam time in, and this morning I made one of my favorite breakfasts: http://lifewithcheeseburgers.com/2012/04/16/strawberry-protein-breakfast-souffle/
Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers recently posted..Strawberry Protein Breakfast SouffleMy Profile

Brittany April 18, 2012 at 7:33 am

Sounds yummy! And I’m sorry your honey is out of town– does he return soon?
Brittany recently posted..WIAW: Random StyleMy Profile

Justine @ Life With Cheeseburgers April 18, 2012 at 10:27 am

He actually got back last night. He was supposed to be back by noon and I was SO excited, but he ended up missing his flight because he didn’t get his wake up call from the hotel (they were calling the wrong room). Luckily we did find a flight later in the day, and I was able to pick him up after my night class. I’m so glad to have him back in the same state so I’m not worrying about him all the time!! :)

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! April 16, 2012 at 12:13 pm

wow that looks SO good brittany!!! such a good mix of veggies, plus shrimpies! yum!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Carabba’s, New Truck, & A Sunny AnniversaryMy Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm April 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I need some of that sauce, and NOW.
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..{Race Recap}: Crescent City Classic 2012My Profile

Brittany April 18, 2012 at 7:34 am

I need some too.
To drink ;)
Brittany recently posted..WIAW: Random StyleMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Ooh sushi always makes me so hungry haha! I had sushi this weekend too – an amazing avocado, yam and shiitake mushroom roll with a nice big bowl of miso soup. Yummy ;).
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..Apple Maple Walnut Protein MuffinsMy Profile

Nikki April 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Sounds like a great weekend to me :) I also always look forward to weekends as they are the only times that I get to see Travis as well!
Nikki recently posted..Monday Morning MotivationMy Profile

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola April 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Sounds like you had an awesome weekend full of some yummy food and great company! Glad that you liked the Hunger Games! Now that I’ve seen it and just finished reading the books, I can definitely say I’m on board! And you guys do make some awesome hibachi!! YUM!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Mounds for BreakfastMy Profile

chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 16, 2012 at 2:18 pm

mmm your homemade hibachi sounds delicious!!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Party likes it’s my birthdayMy Profile

Linz @ Itz Linz April 16, 2012 at 2:35 pm

i have not seen (or plan on seeing) hunger games! :) sushi and froyo… what a fabulous weekend!! we had lots of family time, usual weekend errands and chores, and even squeezed in some sun-time at the pool!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..NuNaturals GoodnessMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 16, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Mmm & now I want sushi!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sick as a DogMy Profile

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 16, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Weekend was great! I wish the weather was nicer, but I did get in 2 great workouts with the hubby and lots of lounge time! :)
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Defining FaithMy Profile

Carolina @ Peas in a Blog April 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I’ve been craving fro-yo so much lately, I think it’s time I give myself a little treat. Long live fro-yo! :)
Carolina @ Peas in a Blog recently posted..Prato: Winter Park, FL.My Profile

Michelle @ Blogitness April 16, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I am definitely craving hibachi now!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Bang Buster!My Profile

Rach April 16, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Oh girl, you aren’t the last… Christopher and I STILL haven’t seen The Hunger Games, haha! We are hopefully going to see it this weekend, though! I’m super pumped! :)

Also, I totally thought you were referring to a very different “diva cup” until I checked that post out, haha!
Rach recently posted..Little known fact about me…My Profile

Julia {girls with a stethoscope} April 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm

haha that whole “diva cup” still cracks me up each time you talk about it!

Sounds like an awesome weekend Brittany..any weekend that involves sushi is an awesome one in my book :) Will’s almond sushi looks so good!!
Julia {girls with a stethoscope} recently posted..Sweat Pink AmbassadorMy Profile

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Looks so yummy! I’m making a little asian stir fry tonight too. Love that polka dot plate!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Pesto Quinoa Stuffed ZucchiniMy Profile

Pure2raw twins April 16, 2012 at 8:29 pm

yum yum, now I am hungry for dinner :)
weekend went by too fast like always, it was a great weekend though, our Dad was in town so got to spend time with him.
Pure2raw twins recently posted..our weekendMy Profile

natalie @ southern fit foodie April 16, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Mmmm that all looks amazing! I had froyo this weekend as well! I just did a weekend recap post tonight! I hope you have had a blessed Monday!
natalie @ southern fit foodie recently posted..The run that DID actually happenMy Profile

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey April 16, 2012 at 11:16 pm

That sounds like a fun weekend. As for me it was Orthodox Easter so I pretty much celebrated Easter with my fam this weekend :)
Nadiya @ Milk and Honey recently posted..The Scientific MethodMy Profile

Jentry Nielsen April 17, 2012 at 2:04 am

Sounds like a great weekend!!! That shrimp dinner looks so delicious! I’m now thinking me and the boy need a home cooked hibachi dinner in the near future! :)

And no, I like the “diva cup”! There is no other name fitting! ha
Jentry Nielsen recently posted..Teach Me Thursday: Full Body WorkoutMy Profile

Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Hehe, G+I have been LOVING sushi too, lately! :D And your food looks sooooooo delicious….I’ve been wondering about Makoto’s stuff too.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Fermented Bean Stew [된장찌개]My Profile

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition April 17, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I’ve been craving sushi like crazy. I just got back from Greece and Italy where I’ve been eating the completely opposite foods!