Lost Candy Corn

by Brittany on April 11, 2012

Howdy folks!

I lucked out this week because my only remaining class on Thursday was cancelled, giving me a legitimate 5 day weekend. You’re probably hating me right now, so let’s move on to WIAW, shall we? 8)

What I Ate Wednesday is an occasion that I look forward to each week, ever since I stopped posting all of my meals on this thingamajig. It feels like I’m “checking in” with you guys in a way, and showing you that I am still alive, still eating, and still infatuated with turkey bacon.

bacon cereal

Yep, that definitely didn’t go anywhere.

Yesterday I began my day with a usual favorite—1/2 cup multigrain Puffins, 1 cup puffed millet, sliced banana, frozen mixed berries & almond milk

cereal frozen berries

with dos slices of T.B.

bacon

and Tigger filled with vanilla coffee + vanilla coconut milk creamer + Truvia.

tigger mug

Lately I’ve been heading over to campus a few hours before my classes even begin to park my booty on a bench and spend some quality time with C.S. Lewis & a nice tumbler full of green tea. I’m quick to forget how much I love milking the Florida weather, but every time I make the rediscovery—it’s so much better than I remember 8)

A bag of carrots followed me there too, but my book & tea stole the spotlight from Instagram

cs lewis

Back at my apartment for lunch, I had to throw together something quick before it was time to rush out the door again. At first I started to heat up a Select Harvest tomato basil soup in the microwave, but then took a peek at the nutritional info and saw that there was an overwhelming 30 grams of sugar in the can. Don’t get me wrong, I’m on no sugar-free diet by any means, but TOMATO soup? I would go eat froyo if I wanted those kinds of stats!

I decided to give it a shot anyway, but couldn’t get past the initial spoonful because it was much too sweet and I had thoughts of everything BUT tomatoes bouncing around in my head. With 15 minutes left, I heated up one of my more reliable vegetable soups, added some chickpeas & fresh spinach, and called it a success.

soup

Almost as good as homemade :D

soup spinach

Plus some cantaloupe on the side.

cantaloupe

Speaking of cantaloupe, where the heck have I been!? A huge fruit is something like $2.00 at the store, and I always manage to get at LEAST 3-5 servings out of it (depending on the size & how uncontrollable my appetite is)

This lunch held me over quite nicely so when I returned home from bowling class, I had plenty of time to take Popcorn for a nice long walk before starting on dinner.

hot dogs butternut squash

I threw together a plate made up of roasted brocc (450 for 10 minutes), two Applegate turkey hot dogs, and a pile of mashed cinnamon butternut squash.

mashed butternut squash

And the best part is that there’s no recipe for the squash side! I literally bought it already mashed & frozen from Publix, heated it up on the stovetop for about 10 minutes, and threw in some cinnamon & salt for flavoring.

Naturally, ketchup was involved.

ketchup

And now, for the grossest part of this post. Remember that bag of candy corn that Will & I bought in September of last year? The one that he forcibly had to hide from me in a secret location in my apartment so that I was prohibited from eating the entire bag on my own in one sitting?

Yep, I found the secret location last night.

lost candy corn

Nobody has to know ;)

Faith @ For the Health of It April 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

Ahahahah where was it???

And that squash mash looks fantastic. Was it the Publix house brand? I love making squash but it’s so time consuming when you go through all the roasting and prepping on your own!

Brittany April 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Hidden in the depths of one of the purses in my closet! A creative spot, for sure!

And yes! I bought it in a Publix brand frozen rectangle. Couldn’t be easier!
Brittany recently posted..Lost Candy CornMy Profile

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 11, 2012 at 8:53 am

The sugar in tomato soup is insane! I stood in the aisle for a good 10 minutes comparing brands last week – some of the organic brands are the WORST.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Birthday Worthy Chocolate Buttermilk CupcakesMy Profile

Brittany April 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Seriously!!! It makes me feel bad for those who don’t normally read labels and think they’re being “healthy”… :(
Brittany recently posted..Lost Candy CornMy Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 11, 2012 at 8:55 am

That is hilarious about the candy corn! I’m sure it was still fine to eat :D Tomatoes have quite a bit of sugar by themselves so it’s not surprising that they probably added a ton more! I’d definitely rather have something sweet for those stats.
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Veg PledgeMy Profile

Linz @ Itz Linz April 11, 2012 at 9:25 am

30 grams??? in soup?!??! CRAZY!!! def woulda gone for the froyo!! haha i really like your idea of adding veggies into canned soups! way to bump up that nutritional info!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Itz WIAWMy Profile

Brittany April 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Amen sista ;)
Brittany recently posted..Lost Candy CornMy Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 11, 2012 at 9:32 am

Yum, all of your eats (minus the candy corn haha!) look delicious. I like the idea of using a canned soup, but then adding extra veggies! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I love food.My Profile

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! April 11, 2012 at 9:48 am

YUM! cinnamon mashed butternut squash! That sounds delish! I dont think I’ve ever had it
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Let’s Talk Food AllergiesMy Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles April 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

It is amazing what you’ll find when you turn over a can or package- sometimes it is just crazy things you wouldn’t excpect; like sugar in tomato soup! …..I would have ditched the can and drove to get fro yo if I were you!!! :)

natalie @ southern fit foodie April 11, 2012 at 9:54 am

I’m the same way about canned soup (or any packaged food, really) – if it has crazy amounts of sugar, I always think that I would rather save my sugar for a sweet treat! That’s hilarious about the candy corn!

Don’t you love C.S. Lewis?!?!?! Inspiring and thought provoking for sure.
natalie @ southern fit foodie recently posted..The cutest lasagna ever!My Profile

Brittany April 11, 2012 at 5:54 pm

YES. He is such a genius and continues to blow my mind!!!
Brittany recently posted..Lost Candy CornMy Profile

chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 11, 2012 at 10:37 am

haha I always find hidden things in my pantry that are SO old its embarassing..that butternut squash mash sounds so yummy!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Day in the LifeMy Profile

Alexandra April 11, 2012 at 10:46 am

Mmmmm I love your mashed squash idea! And yay for cantaloupe!! I absolutely cannot wait for all the summer fruits to start making more cameos at the grocery ;)
Alexandra recently posted..Flushtastic WIAWMy Profile

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance April 11, 2012 at 10:49 am

I feel like I’ve only recently really been looking at the labels of what I’m eating – so much tomato stuff has tons of sugar, it’s crazy! And likely if there isn’t much sugar in something, there’s high fructose corn syrup. Oh and I recently made the same discovery with pineapple – I bought one for $2 and you get so much out of it (I just have to make my boyfriend cut it for me!).
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Kale Pesto PizzaMy Profile

Brittany April 11, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I know! It’s horrible what they pump into food nowadays– And some people don’t even know what to look for and might think they’re being “healthy” :(
Brittany recently posted..Lost Candy CornMy Profile

Rebecca April 11, 2012 at 11:10 am

Lewis is my favorite. :D
I was looking through school’s course catalogue last night and realized that there’s one about the theology of Tolkein and was like “WHY IS IT NOT OFFERED THIS FALL??” I would’ve been all over that class. Even better if it had been about Lewis! :)
I keep meaning to buy A Year With Aslan, which is like Narnia-inspired devotions or something, but I’ve been forgetting. Oops. Maybe I’ll do that soon. :)

Where did you find your candy corn?? That’s a long time for it to be hiding!!
Rebecca recently posted..YES.My Profile

Brittany April 12, 2012 at 9:23 am

HAHA it was deeeeeep inside a purse in my closet!
Brittany recently posted..Girls Chili NightMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I hate tomato soups that are overly sweetened – all that means to me is they used some very acidic tomatoes (ie not the nice ripe ones) and need to make up for it now. Yuck! Although at least some of those grams should have been natural sugars from the toms.

I love CS Lewis! Good reading material my friend! :) And yes, cantaloupe is the fruit that keeps on giving :)
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..WIAW: Veg Pledge Challenge!My Profile

Nikki April 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Bahahahahah that’s too funny that you didn’t find the candy corn until now. That’s totally something I would do!
Nikki recently posted..WIAW–Spring Edition!My Profile

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles April 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Awww, I LOVE your Tiger mug! So cute!

Liz @ Southern Charm April 11, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Haha, well, hiding the bag served it’s purpose at least ;)
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..What I {Plan To Eat} Ate WednesdayMy Profile

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Hahahah where did you find it?? That mashed butternut squash sounds amazing :) . And I’m so jealous of your 5-day break. Are you liking that C.S. Lewis book? Is it something that’s easy to read or is the wording more challenging?
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..BullyingMy Profile

Brittany April 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

It was inside an old purse in my closet. A pretty good spot, if I do say so myself ;)

And I LOVE the book! It definitely isn’t an “easy read”, but is SO thought provoking and inspiring. Seriously, I would go as far as to say that it redefined my faith in a whole new way. The wording isn’t too challenging, but the topics are VERY mind-prodding. I highly recommend it!
Brittany recently posted..Girls Chili NightMy Profile

Marianne April 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm

A 5 day break and reading outdoors in gorgeous weather? Yeah, just a tiny bit jealous over here!

Brittany April 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

Haha, I’m sorry!!!
Brittany recently posted..Girls Chili NightMy Profile

Sarah April 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Definitely checking my soup can now! 30 grams is insane!
Sarah recently posted..Arizona Day 2My Profile

Sara @my less serious life April 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm

haha you and your candy corn. how’s the intuitive eating going? dying for an update. my ‘slow eating’ is only going ok… :(
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..what i ate wednesday: issue 29My Profile

Brittany April 12, 2012 at 9:22 am

Oh no, just okay? :(

It’s been VERY progressive to get used to, but overall, I feel like I’m doing much better than before! I’m planning an update soon.

By the way– just started reading this book and it’s AMAZING. I highly recommend it! http://www.amazon.com/Intuitive-Eating-Revolutionary-Program-Works/dp/0312321236
Brittany recently posted..Girls Chili NightMy Profile

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life April 11, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I noticed that a while back regarding sugar in tomato soup, and in some marinara sauces. I agree, fro-yo would definitely be a better choice than eating an entree with a sugar equivalent of a dessert :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Roses are Red, or Coral?My Profile

Emily Butler April 11, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I was just thinking yesterday how I wish I lived somewhere where avocados and mangos (and other fruits of sorts) we’re cheaper!! My freaking avocado cost me $2 alone!! I Would love to buy a bunch of fresh mangos but nooo they are $2 EACH as well. So insane! Sigh. Rant over. That mashed squash does look good :) I love cinnamon on everything!
Emily Butler recently posted..My homemade greek yogurt!My Profile

Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Too funny!

I would say I’m a bit jealous of the 5 day weekend, then I think about I’ve already graduated college and feel much better! Ha Don’t worry, it’s not too much better on this side of things ;)
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Oh Weights How I’ve Missed You SoMy Profile

Brittany April 12, 2012 at 9:28 am

Hahaha! I’m almost at that point! Maybe I shouldn’t be too excited… :D
Brittany recently posted..Girls Chili NightMy Profile

Nicole April 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

that squash looks amazing! i like using squash with brown sugar and putting it in the oven! delish!
Nicole recently posted..Interview Series: Clare from Fitting It All InMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm

LOL too funny! The mashed butternut squash sounds great!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Chicken Enchilada CasseroleMy Profile

Michelle @ Blogitness April 11, 2012 at 5:05 pm

LOL I just found an unopened bag of candy corn at my house!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Hot and SweatyMy Profile

Jentry Nielsen April 11, 2012 at 5:08 pm

haha that is so funny! I love that! I tell my boyfriend to do the same thing with peanut butter, but I know I wouldn’t survive long! haha
Those mashed squash looks so delicious though! I’m going to have to try that!!!
ketchup and turkey bacon, reminds me of you every time! hahaha
Jentry Nielsen recently posted..Motivational Monday-Getting Back Into Fitness After Easter!My Profile

Dee April 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I found your blog through Pinterest today. What really caught my eye was — you mentioned Florida weather, then I saw the bench with the book. That looks like the bench outside the UCF Student Union. LOL Did I get it right?

Candy Corn would be my pick of poisons, but I can do that same thing to a box of Peeps.

Enjoy the weather. Looks like there will be some beautiful outside reading weather this week.
Dee recently posted..1/2My Profile

Brittany April 12, 2012 at 9:29 am

WHAT! Yes!! That is the bench I was sitting on haha! Are you a UCF student?
Brittany recently posted..Girls Chili NightMy Profile

Jessica April 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Oh my goodness, your butternut squash mash sounds delicious…what a great idea!
Jessica recently posted..Like Father, Like DaughterMy Profile

Meredith G. April 15, 2012 at 8:23 am

That breakfast looks to die for (except for the strawberries, which I’m allergic to, and might have a more literal implication of the phrase)