Chiropractor Please?

by Brittany on February 29, 2012

Mornin’ ;)

Look who’s back home, safe & sound!

popcorn sleep

Little Popcorn has had quite the adventurous week—from noshing on my computer charger and earning himself a time-out, to eating a chocolate bar & having to get his stomach pumped. Poor little guy is pooped out!

I tell Will on a daily basis that I’m counting down until the day that the Corn Pops hits the  “two-year-old” mark, which I’ve heard is usually the age that puppies begin to calm their nerves. Even though he’s only been home for a day, I’m already noticing that he’s been slightly more lovey & cuddly, and less playful and rowdy (…I said “slightly”…)

Maybe that two-year calm will be here sooner than I thought? 8)

Breakfast this morning was in the style of Ener-G toast, nut butter & a sliced banana, but with a new spin–

toast turkey bacon

Cashew butter! Instead of my usual Sunbutter spread, I made the choice to break into my Artisana stash and test out the cashew butter for the first time.

toast cashew butter banana

I will admit, initially I was a bit hesitant because the butter seemed difficult to spread (gotta love natural oil separation!) but after plopping a spoonful in a bowl and a quick zap in the microwave, it was more than ready to go.

Paired with the banana slices the cashew butter was pretty good, although I’m still partial to my beloved coconut butter.

And naturally, the whole shebang was plated with a side of turkey bacon ;)

Chiropractor Visit

Today I have my first appointment with a chiropractor to get my back & spine checked out after a few weeks of feeling not-so dandy. I’ve always been one to carry stress in my upper and lower back, but lately I’ve been having pretty bad pains whenever I’m forced to sit down for an extended period of time.

I’ve heard a lot of mixed opinions about chiropractors—some really good & some really bad. But then again, isn’t that usually the case with anything?

Here’s to hoping that they’re able to offer me some solutions to give my poor little back a break. My foam roller & yoga mat have run out of ideas..

A bit to think about: Ever been to a chiropractor?

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 29, 2012 at 8:03 am

Aww poor popcorn! My mom goes to the Chiro all the time and she’s obsessed. Once you start going you probably won’t be able to stop!

Alexandra February 29, 2012 at 8:09 am

DUDE isn’t that cashew butter rockin?!?! I’m obsessed :)
Best of luck at the chiropractor! I’ve never been to one before, so I’m looking forward to seeing how you like it!
Alexandra recently posted..Did Someone Say…Nut Butter?!My Profile

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance February 29, 2012 at 8:22 am

I’m waiting for the two year old mark too :) my dog is a little over one and still nuts :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Scrumptious Spinach SmoothieMy Profile

Sarah February 29, 2012 at 8:25 am

I’ve never been to a chiropractor but I’ve heard once you start going you have to keep going for life? Who knows! Hope your visit goes well!!
Sarah recently posted..EnsaladaMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 29, 2012 at 8:27 am

I’ve never been to a chripractor before, but my husband has & swears by it. He actually just went last week for the first time in a while & said he felt SO much better!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..February Goals RevisitedMy Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles February 29, 2012 at 8:38 am

I have been to the chiropractor and I’m still on the fence about them- I think if I did all the exercises after, it would work but I stink at keeping with them! I know that they work well for some people! Hopefully you’re one of them!

Karlee @ BringingBackBalance February 29, 2012 at 8:39 am

I have never been to a chiropractor, but I am a huge fan of complimentary and alternative medicine. Chiro’s are great because they can figure out the root cause of your back pain, and not just mask it with meds or ice packs. That being said there are lots of good and bad ones. Hopefully yours is a good one :P
Karlee @ BringingBackBalance recently posted..Back to RoutineMy Profile

Lindsay@LivingLindsay February 29, 2012 at 8:44 am

I’ve actually been talking to my hubby a lot lately about going to a chiropractor and I think I’m going to make an appointment soon. My friend goes every six weeks for lower back pain/neck stiffness issues and she says it helps her tremendously. I’ve also been looking into it for Carter because there is a lot of research that shows how chiropractic care for children is extremely beneficial in boosting the immune system. Parents with children who get chronic ear infections and choose chiropractic care report amazing results and fewer to no instances of ear infections. Somehow,the alignment allows fluid to properly drain from the ears, removing the chance for infection. Interesting isn’t it? So I’m definitely interested.
Lindsay@LivingLindsay recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday (Bad Blogger Edition)My Profile

natalie @ southern fit foodie February 29, 2012 at 8:52 am

I’ve never been to the chiropractor, but I’ve wanted to go for a while now. Let me know how it goes!

Clyde (our beagle puppy) definitely chilled a bit when he hit the two year mark. Yes, he is still a mess, but much calmer. He can actually be trusted to be alone for more then 20 seconds now. :)
natalie @ southern fit foodie recently posted..m-swagMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It February 29, 2012 at 9:03 am

One day in college I woke up out of the blue unable to move my neck more than an inch in either direction…needless to say I skipped class and hauled booty to the chiro. He worked WONDERS! There was an electric acupuncture bit that I was REALLY not fond of, but the rest of it was great. If you’re hurting, I’m sure he’ll be able to get you straightened out in no time!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health February 29, 2012 at 9:17 am

Good luck at the chiropractor! I hope they are able to help you out. I’ve never been to one, but I know that some people have great results :).
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..CleanseMy Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 29, 2012 at 9:33 am

Good luck with the chiropractor! I’ve never had to go, but I’ll be curious your thoughts. Hugs! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW and I love Publix.My Profile

Kat February 29, 2012 at 9:35 am

poor popcorn!! glad to hear he’s alright though :)
My mom is a BIG believer in chiropractors and I have been going since I was about 2 years old. I never personally thought he did anything to help me, until I woke up one morning after a soccer game unable to turn my head..AT ALL. I was in so much pain, just holding my head up hurt. The chiro did his magic voodoo, and I felt totally fine the next day. While I wouldnt go to one on a regular basis, I DO think they can help out at times!
Kat recently posted..WIAWMy Profile

Sonja February 29, 2012 at 9:43 am

I go to a chiropractor once and week and have been for years. As long as you get the right one they’re fantastic. Your body is all about healing itself – pills and things don’t really work, just mask, in my humble opinion – and the chiropractor opens up those areas that need to heal and it brings fresh blood in! A lot like yoga, only some of it’s hard to do yourself. Just make sure you get one that will really pay attention to you and explain what he or she is doing! Good luck and I hope you feel better :)
Sonja recently posted..Insta-Foods Take FourMy Profile

Theresa February 29, 2012 at 9:49 am

is popcorn a purebred chihuahua too?

maybe it depends on the personality..nacho was always a hyper chi and even at his older age (he’s 8) he’s still pretty active and playful…my sisters chi on the other hand is really chill and sleepy and she’s only 1.5 years old, lol! now my cats…it takes cats around 5 years to chill out and i’ve been ready for them to chill out since i’ve gotten them..they are almost 2 so 3 more years to go..omaiga, lol!

i’ve never been to a chiropractor but i’ve always wanted to!
Theresa recently posted..It’s jellybean time!!My Profile

Theresa February 29, 2012 at 9:50 am

i meant nacho is eight..i’m amused that face showed up instead of the number though, LOL
Theresa recently posted..It’s jellybean time!!My Profile

Heather Montgomery February 29, 2012 at 10:01 am

I love the chiropractor. I have rotated hips and scoliosis so it really helps me!

Brittany February 29, 2012 at 10:26 am

Good to know! I hope he can help me too!

Michelle @ Our Dream, Made Out of Real Things February 29, 2012 at 10:12 am

I’m like you and have heard mixed reactions about chiropracters, but if someone can provide relief (even if it may only be temporary) I say bring it on! You will have to share your experience; I’ve been playing around with the idea of going for a while now.
Michelle @ Our Dream, Made Out of Real Things recently posted..New Smoothie FlavorMy Profile

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 29, 2012 at 10:17 am

I have been going to a chiro for years – they can make a HUGE difference if you find the right one! My hips are constantly out of line, so they help me with that and have helped with some ankle issues.

Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body February 29, 2012 at 10:19 am

I’ve never been to a chiropractor. I hope it goes well! :)
Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body recently posted..I Spy With my Little EyeMy Profile

Rebecca February 29, 2012 at 10:25 am

I went to the chiropractor a couple of times a year or two ago because I was having a knee issue. My mom spent a lot of time in their office trying to figure out what was up with her hands and stuff, and my sister had a couple of appointments for her legs as well. The guy we went to was really nice, and for a while my sister wanted to become a chiropractor, haha. :)
Rebecca recently posted..Beauty: Laughter.My Profile

Molly February 29, 2012 at 10:26 am

i once had a chiropractor tell me that the reason he became a chiropractor is because he couldn’t get into med school… needless to say… I didn’t book any appointments with him. haha

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 29, 2012 at 10:36 am

I’ve been thinking about a chiro too for my knee pain. I will try almost anything at this point!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..More Matters (Fruits & Veggies WIAW)My Profile

Lindsay February 29, 2012 at 10:43 am

I am a firm believer in chiropractors. I, like you, hold my stress in my upper and lower back. I went to one in high school but quit going once I got to college. A couple of years back, I was training for a half marathon and was having sharp pains in my lower back and hip (the foam roller wasn’t helping much) so I decided to go back to the chiropractor. I am so glad I did… the pain went away. Now I do not skip my appointments.

Good luck and I hope the chiropractor helps you feel better!

Brittany February 29, 2012 at 10:59 am

Thanks a lot Lindsay! Hearing success stories like yours give me hope haha
Brittany recently posted..Chiropractor Please?My Profile

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense February 29, 2012 at 10:48 am

I love alternative medicine although I haven’t had much luck w/ chiropractors.

I always end up w/ a headache after the neck twist move. It may just be the chiropractor I had though!!
Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Protein Rich Cocoa Greek YogurtMy Profile

Stephanie @My Freckled Life February 29, 2012 at 11:04 am

I’m still waiting for my puppy to hit that mark too! She seems to always be bouncing off the walls, no matter how many walks we go on per day! Although yesterday I took her to doggie day care for the first time, where she spent 8 hours running and playing with other dogs on their 7 acres, and she literally was so exhausted she fell asleep about 2 seconds after we got in the car to drive home! Definitely worth the $$ every once and awhile!
Stephanie @My Freckled Life recently posted..Dreaded MondaysMy Profile

Brittany March 1, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Haha! My friend had a similar success with doggie daycare! It’s amazing what I good run will do to those crazy pooches
Brittany recently posted..“Nom” ExplainedMy Profile

Brandi February 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I don’t have the best alignment, and sometimes I will feel so out of wack! I have been a few times and it always seems to help. I would love to just go get a massage! I to carry my stress in the upper and lower parts of my back.

Glad Popcorn is much better!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 29, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I went to the chiro a lot when I was in university. I always felt much better afterwards, but I stopped going when I read freaky stories about getting your neck adjusted. However, I would go again now – but I would probably request no neck adjustments… just because I’m a paranoid android. I know so many people who have been regularly or who are chiros who think I’m just ridiculous, so it’s probably just me! Like you said, you hear bad and good about everything!
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..WIAW: Leap Day EditionMy Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm February 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Technically I’ve never been to an offical chriopractor, but my friend’s fiance just got licensed. While he was in school he would give us all adjustments. It was heavenly! I always felt so open after, because I feel as if I’m always slouching. He focused on different areas for me because of that.

Best of luck!!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..What I {Plan To Eat} Ate WednesdayMy Profile

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I love cashew butter!!

I hope your chiro has some answers for you–back pain is the worst! I do teach Pilates, so I know the power of a strong core and how that helps lower back pain….as well as making sure squats and lunges are done correctly (without pulling on the hip flexors, which could then cause imbalances in lower back and later pain). Hope you get feeling better!
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Whey + Guest Post : SPINNING LoveMy Profile

Brittany March 1, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I love that I actually know what all of that means ;)

Maybe I should check out pilates!
Brittany recently posted..“Nom” ExplainedMy Profile

Beth February 29, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I am a super wuss when it comes to chiropractors! I hate when people pop their fingers even-gives me the chills! BUT…when I was pregnant my angelic child kept popping my ribs out and the chiropractor was such sweet relief.

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola February 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Oh man, Popcorn has had quite the week! Poor little guy! I hope he is feeling better now and is still extra cuddly! And I have mixed feelings about chiropractors too but I do have some pretty big back/neck issues so maybe it would be a good idea? Can’t wait to hear how your appointment goes!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..GGG Restaurant Review: BetelnutMy Profile

Alexis February 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm

YES I LOVE my chiropractor. I’m all for them. I had a bulging L4/L5 and after 6 months of seeing her on a regular basis I am back pain free. I am a full supporter of the chiro… Not to mention she also fixed my plantar fasciitis by readjusting the bones in my feet. She is pretty amazing.
Alexis recently posted..Love your bodyMy Profile

Ellie@Fit for the Soul February 29, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Ohhh I hope you feel better Britt, in Jesus’ name, for reals!!! And poor popcorn~hopefully popcorn feels better soon too. And I have to say, your breakfast looks delicious right about now!
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..My Bridal Shower and Fitness RoutineMy Profile

Corrie Anne February 29, 2012 at 3:47 pm

The chiro scares me!! All that cracking! I’m afraid of cracking fingers!! Lol. Some people like it, but I don’t think it’s for me. Good luck! I hope you find it helpful.
Corrie Anne recently posted..Married: Month 8My Profile

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 29, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Ahhhh poor little corn pops ;) Hudson has had chocolate before and raisins…..thankfully he was ok!! UGH, dogs!!

I can not live without my chiro!! What a life changing experience, huh??

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Chili Black Bean Veggie Burgers {Grain Free}My Profile

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness February 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I think cashew butter is the only nut butter that was too much for me. I tried to like it, but I just can’t.
My mom’s puppy Murphy will be one in April and he has chewed pretty much everything in her house, crazy little puppies!!!
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Progress not PerfectionMy Profile

Leashieloo February 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I’ve never been to the chiropractor, I would like to as I have a ton of kinks in my bank…but the whole neck cracking thing makes me nervous!
Leashieloo recently posted..CelebrationsMy Profile

Katie @ Katie Without Restrictions February 29, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Awe, poor Popcorn ~ he looks just worn out in that picture!
Katie @ Katie Without Restrictions recently posted..Study, Study!My Profile

Tara Burner February 29, 2012 at 6:09 pm

poor Popcorn!

and I’ve been to chiropractor..twice…once like 7 yrs ago when the dude told me I ‘had” to have surgery…which I said NOT HAPPENING to
and then again around Christmas this past year and he screwed it up more than he did good….I wont be going back to any…i’ll stick to yoga, massager and prayer!
Tara Burner recently posted..Whatever it takes to be strongMy Profile

Brittany March 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Haha I need a live-in masseuse!
Brittany recently posted..“Nom” ExplainedMy Profile

Pure2raw twins February 29, 2012 at 9:35 pm

poor popcorn!

and yes years ago when we still lived in FL we went to a chiropractor. our mom and older sister loved it, so we would go from time to time.
Pure2raw twins recently posted..brownie french toast for breakfastMy Profile

Ellie March 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Going to a Chiropractor is one of the best things you can do for your health and general wellness, so long as it’s the right Chiropractor! I knew nothing of Chiropractic 4 months ago and then I started working in a Chiro office and seeing how the two doctors I work for affect people’s lives. It’s more than just adjustments it’s a new way of thinking about your body and your all around wellness. I definitely recommend a visit to the Chiropractor if you want to learn more about how to get on and stay on the right track to wellness.

Brittany March 2, 2012 at 5:46 am

Thanks for your input, Ellie! I can definitely see what you mean based on my first visit alone. I actually go back today– and I’m excited to see what progress is to come!
Brittany recently posted..“Nom” ExplainedMy Profile

Kathleen @ Love and Sapphire March 2, 2012 at 9:34 am

He will hit two before you know it and then you will miss him being a little rambunctious! (Ok, only ONCE in a blue moon do I actually miss my dog being rowdy). But seriously they grow up so fast, it seems like yesterday Buddy was only a few months only, and this summer he will be FIVE!
Kathleen @ Love and Sapphire recently posted..Friday FavoritesMy Profile