Pink Quinoa & A Disturbing Beef Issue

by Brittany on February 8, 2012

Morning guys!

The weirdest thing just happened to me– I woke up, made breakfast, ate it while catching up on my morning blog reading, decided that I was still a little bit tired, laid down & closed my eyes for 5 minutes, then got up completely rejuvenated and refreshed. I’m taking that as my body’s version of a “power nap” 8)

Then again, maybe I was just overwhelmed by the tastiness of the big pink bowl of quinoa flakes I had for breakfast–

pink quinoa

Instead of just throwing all of the strawberries on top at the end, I made it a point to mash a few into the mixture as it cooked on the stovetop. The result was some very pink quinoa, which looked great when complimented by the pink strawberries on top.

Okay okay, so strawberries are red, but pink sounded better ;)

quinoa and strawberries

Into the mix went:

• 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (no reaction again!!! :D)
  • Vanilla extract
  • Cinnamon
  • Mashed strawberries
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds via my trusted chia seed method
  • Topped with: More strawberries, Sunbutter & PB & Co. chocolate peanut butter

breakfast strawberry bowl

Ammonia + Beef

**If you have a soft spot for fast food burgers, beware that I’m about to get really close & personal about ‘em**

Yesterday, Kat posted about something called “pink slime” that I had actually never heard of before. I’ve always just accepted that fast food burgers & other low quality beef products were bad simply because of the high animal fat content and grease that they’re cooked in. However, Kat’s post truly opened my eyes to what goes into the actual meat product, and not just the method that is used for preparation.

Apparently, when the different portions of a cow are being divided up for consumption, there is a large part of the cow that isn’t digestible by humans (the part that they use for dog food and other animal products). In order to get the most $$ out of the animal that they can, companies will combine this leftover inedible beef with AMMONIA and create something called a “pink slime” that is used as a filler in 70% of the meat in America. And yes, it’s the same ammonia that goes into household cleaning products.

clorox

Source

I usually don’t get into these meat processes on my bloggie because I firmly believe that there are “different strokes for different folks”, but in a way I felt like it was my responsibility to fill you guys in on what REALLY goes down. Additionally, this goes hand in hand with the idea that consuming foreign ingredients can have a negative impact on your metabolism and digestion, inevitably leading to internal destruction & weight gain (Thank you Jillian Michaels & Master Your Metabolism ;) )

To read more about this issue, I encourage you to check out these articles:

Or if you’re really feeling brave, check out this awesome stunt that Jamie Oliver pulled to bring awareness to the beef quality:

Just like Kat immediately thought of her hubby when she read this info, I instantly thought of Will and my family with all of the low-quality beef that they still consume. Knowing this kind of stuff goes on behind closed doors and that the USDA actually approves of it, how can I be expected to just sit back and watch the ones I love eat this crapola?

Anyway, I hope at least a couple of you get something out of this, as I did. The first step to living a healthier life is through education and awareness!

A bit to think about: What is your stance on the “pink slime”? Were you aware of this situation?

Bex February 8, 2012 at 8:15 am

Great info… thanks for spreading the word on beef! xo
Bex recently posted..Work It Out Wednesday: Best of BexLife Mashup Mania!My Profile

Ellie February 8, 2012 at 8:35 am

One of the many, many reasons I’m a vegan :)

Nada (One Arab Vegan) February 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Amen to that.

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health February 8, 2012 at 8:46 am

Ewww that is so disgusting! I like my meat, but if I eat it then I either buy it myself or get it from a decent restaurant! Glad you got in a quick power nap…sometimes those few minutes are so necessary!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Quotes I’m LikingMy Profile

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 8, 2012 at 9:04 am

1. Breakfast looks amazing! 2. The slime issue is disgusting! I’ve never even heard of this before!!
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Notes from the Stomach-Guest WIAWMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It February 8, 2012 at 9:23 am

Ugh, I’ve vaguely heard of the controversy but never really paid much attention to it since I don’t eat meat…but reading what’s really going on with the situation makes my stomach churn! I do occasionally grab a fast food fries or breakfast sandwich…really makes ya wonder what goes into those if their burgers are so bad!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Sometimes the Hardest Thing and the Right Thing are the SameMy Profile

Kat February 8, 2012 at 9:24 am

thanks for the shout out, and so glad that I was able to introduce you to this fact! I mean it is seriously SO upsetting to me. I ill never understand the USDA and the things they choose to let slip by. It truly is disgusting

Tina @ Best Body Fitness February 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

This makes me SO thankful that I buy local, organic, grass-fed. I do eat meat (you know) but I just make sure I pick quality!

Theresa February 8, 2012 at 10:05 am

i’ve seen this topic floating around on facebook and ugh…i RARELY eat fast food, mostly because it makes me feel like garbage, but also because if I feel like eating a burger or a chicken sandwich or whatever..i’d MUCH rather have a good quality one then a poor quality one…this stuff just verifies that i’m right. Kevin doesnt eat tons of fast food but he does like his mcdonalds..I get grossed out :/
Theresa recently posted..Signs that you are a running geek and a new stir-fryMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 8, 2012 at 10:08 am

uhhh yeah, that IS quite disturbing! good thing i am not a fan of fast food and rarely eat it… i’m glad you filled us in on this alarming fact!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #20: In Honor Of “LOVE Your VEGGIES Month”My Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm February 8, 2012 at 10:17 am

I had an idea it was bad, which is why I try avoid fast food/
I didn’t realize it was that bad though. Ick! I read an article the day after my last McDonald’s hamburger and it had a warning disclosure .. something along the lines of “it may cause cancer”. Ever since I have successfully avoided McDonald’s. I may turn this into a blanket avoidance.
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..NAKED PizzaMy Profile

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! February 8, 2012 at 10:46 am

yuck! I read something about this in the news. Luckily I have never been much of a fast food eater, and especially not a fast food burger eater. Scary nonethless though!
There was another video I watched recently where they compared a McD’s happy meal that was 4 years old to show all the preservatives, etc and it didnt even look that different!! ew!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..No Brakes, Dinner of Champs, & A Shoe ReviewMy Profile

Brittany February 8, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I saw that video too! I think it was in the movie Supersize Me
Brittany recently posted..Pink Quinoa & A Disturbing Beef IssueMy Profile

Michelle @ Our Dream, Made Out of Real Things February 8, 2012 at 10:52 am

EW; thank goodness I read this after eating my breakfast! I wasn’t aware of it but thankfully hubby and I don’t eat fast food (unless you count Subway sandwiches), but I’ll be sure to inform all my friends and family so they don’t consume this crap either.
Michelle @ Our Dream, Made Out of Real Things recently posted..YouTube TuesdayMy Profile

Heather February 8, 2012 at 10:56 am

I’ve kept up with all the beef news for a while and I’ve been a vegetarian for 7 years now. There are a lot of things that are truly disturbing, but Tina has it right-if you have to eat meat, buy local, organic, & grass-fed!

I think you’d really enjoy the movie “Food Inc.” if you haven’t seen it already. It really opens your eyes to what America is consuming.

Mallory @ Have Your Cake February 8, 2012 at 11:20 am

eeew. i dont eat fast food, and i rarely eat meat, but this just reaffirms those decisions not to. not going to lie- KFC has the best biscuits and i will always be down to indulge in those babies (i am hoping there is no slime, pink or otherwise, in em)
Mallory @ Have Your Cake recently posted..Why I love the Treadmill + Some WorkoutsMy Profile

Sarah February 8, 2012 at 11:24 am

I knew it was a sketchy business but I had no idea they were using ammonia! I don’t eat fast food or processed meat so I have no problem steering clear of that whole industry. Gross.
Sarah recently posted..WIAWL2EMy Profile

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola February 8, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Sometimes a little nap is all it takes to feel refreshed! I’m that way too! And your quinoa bowl looks especially delicious this morning! I need to buy quinoa flakes! OMG I hadn’t heard of this pink slime business but my stomach is literally churning at the thought of it. I rarely eat beef- and if I do it’s high quality, grass-fed from a trusted restaurant, but this is so unbelievably gross. It’s hard to believe that they can get away with these kind of practices and makes me truly ashamed our government isn’t doing more about it.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I don’t like the meat industry in America. at.all. I hardly eat meat (some chicken and turkey) and avoid all fast-food places. It’s all totally disgusting (learned about it in school too). GROSS.

In other news-your b-fast looks tasty!
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..How To Run A 5KMy Profile

Paige @ Running Around Normal February 8, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I love adding berries to my oats! Blueberry (aka purple oats) are the best!! :)
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Proud of MyselfMy Profile

Rebecca February 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I saw the headline somewhere a while ago but never looked into it. I haven’t read the articles yet, but wouldn’t the ammonia and crap have side effects over time if someone ate it frequently? I don’t eat fast food burgers much, but sometimes. You would think that even a little bit every once in a while would add up and show some sort of effect someday.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Yikes, that’s definitely one of the reasons I don’t eat meat anymore. Too nervous about what goes into it nowadays.

I still have yet to cook with quinoa flakes! I cook with regular quinoa, eat quinoa cereal, use quinoa flour, eat quinoa pasta, but quinoa flakes are still on my to-do list!

Lauren February 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I just stumbled acrossed your blog and I LOVE it so far! Great post about the beef. So gross.

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I don’t eat red meat as often as chicken and stuff. But omg EW. So scary!

natalie @ southern fit foodie February 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Totally disgusting. I was teaching a fitness seminar at a women’s conference a while back, and I stayed after my class to listen to the nutritionist that was speaking. She had McDonald’s cheeseburger in a lunchbox that was FOUR years old – and it still looked exactly the same as it did the day she bought it. How gross is that?!?!?! Just imagine how it won’t break down in your body if it doesn’t break down naturally!! Ew ew ew.

Those pretty pink quinoa flakes are perfect for v-day!

Tara Burner February 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I dont eat meat for a multitude of reasons :)

and your strawberry quinoa looks yummmmy
Tara Burner recently posted..100 Calorie or Less Healthy SnacksMy Profile

Madeline (Food, Fitness, and Family) February 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Thank you for the information! Just another reason to do some research about what you are putting in your body! I will have to find you the article the hubs read about chicken nuggets … he won’t eat fast food anymore because of it. Maybe you could share it with Will ;) Haha.
Madeline (Food, Fitness, and Family) recently posted..WIAW {Acorn Squash Recipe}My Profile

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner February 8, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Oh my gosh, I remember watching Jamie Oliver’s Revolution video where he showed how they make it hamburger. It is so AWFUL!!!

On a lighter note, your breakfast looks beautiful. :)

Meredith @ DareYouTo February 8, 2012 at 11:52 pm

ugh, YES. This is the sad truth. This is why I stopped eating meat. THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!! More people need to know the cold, hard facts.

Nikki February 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

Blah that is seriously disgusting. I had heard recently that McDonald’s is doing away with pink sludge of their chicken nuggets. I don’t eat fast food, and that is still revolting to me!
Nikki recently posted..Mid week randomnessMy Profile