Burnt Buttah

by Brittany on January 31, 2012

First off, I want to thank you all so much for the kind birthday wishes, tweets, and comments! It really was a very special day, and I couldn’t help but to feel lots of love coming from all directions :)

Now that my birthday weekend is officially over, it’s time to get back into the swing of things. But wait!—I can’t forget how many other special occasions I have coming up in these next few beginning weeks of February. Not only does this weekend mark Will and my one year anniversary, the weekend after that we are traveling to a 3-day conference, and a few days later its Valentine’s Day!

Talk about a busy chain of events, and Will’s wallet is taking the hardest blow of all. We joke about how he should have waited a few more weeks to ask me out, and not have done it directly in-between V- Day and my birthday. You don’t snooze, you lose ;)

Breakfast:

Coconut butter burns!?

burnt coconut butter

Obviously I had to learn the hard way :(

If you’re not familiar with coconut butter, it’s a rare breed of an ingredient because of the fact that it solidifies at room temperature. Before use, the jar needs to be warmed up—which can be done either with a few seconds of zapping in the microwave or running the jar under warm water.

After whipping up a big bowl of quinoa flakes this morning, I put the jar into the microwave for 30 seconds (as directed) to soften up the buttah. When I saw that it hadn’t melted as much as I would’ve liked, I tossed the jar back in for an additional 45 seconds, started to smell a burning odor, then pulled out my beloved jar to see brown streaks mixed in with the off-white creamy goodness.

burnt coconut butter jar

Booooo.

Luckily I was able to scrape out a good majority of the brown, but it was still saddening to see spoonfuls of my newfound favorite topping tossed into the trash :(

coffee quinoa

In the bowl went: (a long list!)

• 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1/4 cup leftover coffee (a newbie!)
  • 1 tbsp hemp protein powder
  • 1 sliced banana
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • Vanilla extract
  • Stevia vanilla drops
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg
  • Dash of salt
  • Mixed frozen berries
  • Topped with: burnt coconut butter & more frozen berries

coffee quinoa and berries

The addition of coffee was okay, but I don’t think it’s something I’d do again. In a way it coffeed-out my morning, and I’m not the biggest fan of how coffee tastes once it sits in the pot for a while. Am I the only one who thinks leftover coffee tastes different and sort of stale?

Today I have two classes to sit through and tonight Rachel is coming over for week 3 of training. It looks like it’ll be a busy one, but I’ve got a special giveaway coming up for you guys this afternoon. Stay tuned! ;)

A bit to think about: What’s the last thing that you burned in the kitchen?

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 31, 2012 at 7:12 am

I burned my toast this morning! Hahah :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..What I’ve been UP to – WIAWMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 31, 2012 at 7:16 am

I hear ya on the special occasion thing! My bday is 2/5 & of course Valentine’s Day is right around the corner! We always keep Valentine’s Day sort of low-key so my husband doesn’t get stuck shelling out all kinds of money! I always wish my bday weren’t so close to Christmas, too! It’s like everything happens at once. I need to start celebrating my half-bday! ;-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Max Brenner PhillyMy Profile

Brittany January 31, 2012 at 8:49 am

Aw! Your birthday is on our dating anniversary! And I’m with you on the half birthdays ;)
Brittany recently posted..Burnt ButtahMy Profile

Shannon from Healthiful Balance January 31, 2012 at 7:33 am

Aw, sorry that it burnt! Haha that has happened to me before too. I the last thing I burnt was couscous..
Shannon from Healthiful Balance recently posted..Favorite Whole GrainsMy Profile

Josie @ happycorredora.com January 31, 2012 at 7:38 am

My birthday is coming up too! (2/11).

I burnt a pancake on the weekend, but they say the first one never turns out right. :)
Josie @ happycorredora.com recently posted..Why I RunMy Profile

Brittany January 31, 2012 at 8:50 am

Happy early birthday! :D
Brittany recently posted..Burnt ButtahMy Profile

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 31, 2012 at 7:42 am

I love all the ingredients in your oats! lol My husband made fun of me this morning for having 2 kinds of cereal, granola, flax seeds, walnuts, skim milk, & almond milk for breakfast! Gotta get all those good nutrients in! ;-)

Pure2raw twins January 31, 2012 at 7:43 am

oh we have burned coconut butter before too!
Pure2raw twins recently posted..best way to get sore absMy Profile

Sarah @ feeedingBrain and body January 31, 2012 at 7:45 am

Oh no, that is too bad it burnt! I leave my coconut butter on the top of the fridge and it stays in liquid form, I guess it’s just warm enough up there since heat rises? I burnt my Brussels sprouts this weekend, they were black balls of nothingness by the times got to them!!!
Sarah @ feeedingBrain and body recently posted..Crumpets > ToastMy Profile

chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 31, 2012 at 8:13 am

thats a bummer about the coconut butter! I have yet to try coconut butter but I’m very intrigued by it! ..that last thing I burnt in my kitchen was probably tofu that I was baking..I still ate it anyways though lol
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Jazzed Up Annie’s Mac and CheeseMy Profile

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health January 31, 2012 at 8:31 am

Yay for your 1-year anniversary coming up! That’s awesome! And yes, his poor wallet hehe- but hey, that means good things for you right ;)?. Um, and seriously, I’ve never had coconut butter before. I think I need to change that! Hope you have an awesome day!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Funny Pinterest PicsMy Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 31, 2012 at 8:57 am

What exciting things you have coming up! I’m so excited for your and Will’s one-year anniversary. I know he’ll do such a great job since he does for each of your month anniversaries!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Return to White WolfMy Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm January 31, 2012 at 10:38 am

I burned garlic when I was making red beans and rice recently. SO GROSS. It ruined it and I had to start over :(

Lesson learned, right?? ;)
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..KombuchaMy Profile

Brittany January 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Gah, burnt garlic is no bueno :(
Brittany recently posted..Burnt ButtahMy Profile

Leashieloo January 31, 2012 at 11:00 am

Man, you have some bad luck with those jars! I didn’t know coconut butter burns though, good to know!
Leashieloo recently posted..Nostalgic Weekend CapersMy Profile

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 31, 2012 at 11:26 am

I think it’s more likely that glass got past a certain temp and caused the burning rather than the actual coconut butter..either way your breakfast ended up looking pretty great!
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..How Goats Can Save The US EconomyMy Profile

Brittany January 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hmmm maybe that IS what happened. I have a horrible track record with jars.
Brittany recently posted..Burnt ButtahMy Profile

Nikki January 31, 2012 at 11:56 am

That’s very similar to how Travis and I are!! First it’s Christmas, and then we started dating January 27th. And his birthday is February 9th, mine is February 13th, and Valentine’s Day is the next day! We started combining birthdays and Valentine’s day a few years ago to save up on some money! It can be a huge pocket drainer…but worth every penny in my opinion :)
Nikki recently posted..Capitol CoutureMy Profile

Brittany January 31, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Wowza, your schedule is even MORE intense! I think combining gifts will be a strategy we’ll have to adopt too haha
Brittany recently posted..Burnt ButtahMy Profile

Theresa January 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm

awww, haha! i burnt a batch of my cookies two weeks ago..i cant ever make those kind of cookies without burning them, terrible!
Theresa recently posted..A deceitful mealMy Profile

Sarah (everydaysapicnic) January 31, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Burning your coconut butter is a bit annoying – that stuff definitely doesn’t come cheap!
I have a knack of burning toast – I’m not sure how I manage to do it every time … maybe I need a new toaster!
Sarah (everydaysapicnic) recently posted..Dim Sum and a FarceMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life January 31, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Aw that sucks about your coconut butter! Coconut butter is probably the one coconut ingredient I haven’t yet tried, so I can’t say it’s ever burned on me, but I’m notorious for burning things like almonds if I’m trying to toast them under the grill. They look completely undone so I leave them for all of 2 minutes and then they’re fried and black and ruined. So frustrating but I never learn, I always leave them for too long!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race January 31, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Burnt coconut butter! Big time BOOOO! :P
Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..So CloseMy Profile

Michelle @ Our Dream, Made Out of Real Things January 31, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I think the last thing I burnt was some veggies in the oven. I will take burnt veggies WAY over the plastic cutting board that my sister-in-law accidentally had stuck underneath her pizza stone and started a fire in the kitchen. Ruined her ENTIRE oven!
Michelle @ Our Dream, Made Out of Real Things recently posted..YouTube TuesdayMy Profile

Emily January 31, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I had no idea that coconut butter would burn! Your bowl of oats seriously looks amaaazing. I may or may not have started drooling…
It sounds like you’re going to have such a fun month! Take advantage of every opportunity to be spoiled. (:
Emily recently posted..Kale-Lover’s AnonymousMy Profile

Emma @ Microcosm of Life January 31, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Almost your one-year anniversary! So exciting. I can’t wait to see how you guys celebrate. You crazy kids.
Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..Baking Sundays (Banana Muffin Recipe)My Profile

Paige January 31, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Happy belated birthday, Brittany!! :)

Alexis January 31, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Hi! I love your blog but don’t comment much :) but happy belated birthday!
ha! I’ve burnt so many things in the kitchen including peanut butter! Apparently “this” type of pb I was using was not meant to be put in the microwave. oops! I’ve also burned tons of popcorn… I cannot manage to time popcorn properly!
Alexis recently posted..5 stages of “grief”My Profile

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli January 31, 2012 at 3:30 pm

the last thing I burnt in my kitchen was my tea towel oops lol. Food related, it would be my granola, I learned the hard way that it doesn’t firm up until you take it OUT of the oven!
ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli recently posted..Sunday Profile: KaleMy Profile

natalie @ southern fit foodie January 31, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I burned popcorn (not your dog hehe). It was only a couple of pieces out of the whole batch, but I just hate that smell!!! I also completely burned two corn tortillas last week as I was making them into tortilla bowls. I blame the oven. It has a mind of its own. ;)
natalie @ southern fit foodie recently posted..Marvelous MondayMy Profile

Julia {girls with a stethoscope} January 31, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Awe well at least you were able to still save SOME! haha

So excited for you and your upcoming month of events. First year anniversaries are so fun :)
Julia {girls with a stethoscope} recently posted..Foodie PenpalsMy Profile

Sarah January 31, 2012 at 4:57 pm

A white wine sauce! That stuff cooks up fast! I’ve never had coconut butter but I have heard so much about it I’ve been meaning to try it out!

Olivia January 31, 2012 at 5:00 pm

No way! The whole world hates stale coffee – that’s why good coffee places brew fresh batches often!
Olivia recently posted..BooMy Profile

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt January 31, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I burned kale chips tonight. It was a small batch but I was still so bummed
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Finding Time and Using ItMy Profile