Spice (And Everything Nice)

by Brittany on January 30, 2012

After Will got out of class this morning, he popped in to wish me a happy birthday with flowers and a traditional folded heart note (A tradition that began last year when he gave me one during our “talking” period. A few days later, we were dating :D)

flowers

And from there, we were on our way to downtown Orlando!

For my birthday lunch, I requested that we eat at an outdoor restaurant along the perimeter of the beautiful Lake Eola. Not only was the temperature ideal, but the timing was perfect too—parking was easy peasy and the park was still bustling with runners, businessmen on their lunch breaks, and dog walkers alike.

orlando

oh, and swans :D

lake eola

lake eola swan

Heart necks!

downtown

lake eola orlando

We didn’t really have a particular location in mind, but once we set out on foot and roamed the area, we decided that Spice Steakhouse sounded right up our alley. There was an indoor and outdoor seating option, so naturally we milked the gorgeous weather and took a seat on the outside porch.

Spice Steakhouse

lake eola orlando

I’ve gotta say—I was really impressed with our dining experience and I’m glad we chose to try this place over a nearby trusted Panera. We started with an order of the edamame, sprinkled with sea salt.

edamame

I had a hard time deciding on my entrée because there were so many different options! To mix it up with a few different cuisines, I rolled with the Greek salad which came with feta, kalamata olives, banana peppers, grape tomatoes, purple onions, and a delicious lemon vinaigrette dressing.

greek salad

And a veggie roll, WHICH CAME WITH PICKLES! (I think?) What a pleasant discovery :D

veggie rolls

Will went with the Philadelphia and Soft Shell Crab rolls for his meal. I traded one of mine for a bite of the Philadelphia and it was pretty tasty, but I was already too distracted by the fabulousness of the pickles in mine that I didn’t notice ;)

salmon roll

A great meal & experience indeed!

mewill lake eola

But wait! There’s more 8)

One of the waiters overheard Will mention that it was my birthday in passing, and she told another waiter, who went ahead and told another. By the end of our meal, I pretty much had the entire restaurant wishing me a happy birthday and had a complimentary slice of warm brownie covered with ice cream placed right in front of my nose.

dessert brownie

I took the ice cream and Will took the brownie. Let’s just say that “demolished” is an understatement ;)

demolished dessert

The perfect birthday lunch to end a perfect birthday weekend :)

Tonight I have a night class (booo), so unfortunately my celebration will be cut short. However, I did manage to convince Will to come over and watch a late movie with me if we’re feelin’ up to it, so luckily the night isn’t completely shot.

A bit to do: Be sure to wish my birthday twin Courtney a happy birthday too!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life January 30, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Awww, thanks for the shout out!
Your birthday lunch looked awesome. I’m a HUGE fan of pickles myself (<– TWSS, LOL). Hope you continue to have a great day!! :)
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..In Need Of SuggestionsMy Profile

Brittany January 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Sadly, I had to Google TWSS, but I’m so glad that I did ;) HAHA
Brittany recently posted..Spice (And Everything Nice)My Profile

Allie Q January 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Happy birthday!
Btw, I’m also Peruvian like Will. He must know what’s up with the ceviche then! 8-)
Allie Q recently posted..Channel Your Inner Sarah ConnorMy Profile

Brittany January 30, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Will: “YESSSS”

;) He also says he likes Lomo saltado?
Brittany recently posted..Spice (And Everything Nice)My Profile

Allie Q January 30, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Oh yes. That is Spanish for “amazing and mouthwatering.” It’s essentially meat and potatoes made with Peruvian magic :P
Allie Q recently posted..Channel Your Inner Sarah ConnorMy Profile

Emma @ Microcosm of Life January 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I had never heard the term “talking” before I was at Miami–is that a Florida saying, or was I just out of the loop until college? Haha! PS- I am currently rocking my UM jersey for our school’s Jersey Day, woohoo! In SC, though, orange=Clemson so I’m sure I got a lot of dirty looks from USC fans, even though I am a USC grad.

RAMBLING IS NOW OVER.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..From Cinnamon Rolls to Spring RollsMy Profile

Brittany January 31, 2012 at 10:09 am

What!? It’s a Florida term!?? I’ve used it my entire life and thought everyone else did too! Haha

Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart January 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Happy Birthday! Boo to your night class, but what a special treat for lunch! Hopefully both of you can muster up the energy to watch a movie tonight! I love snuggling up with my sweetie watching a movie :)
Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart recently posted..My Pregnancy: Week 21My Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I’m *so* glad that you are having such a happy birthday! What a sweet surprise to get a browine and ice cream! Yummmm! You are worth celebrating!!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Chrome Users: Try the WordPress.com ExtensionMy Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Happy birthday girl! It was such a BEAUTIFUL day out today. Lake Eola was the perfect idea for a birthday lunch! Sounds super yummy. Glad you are enjoying your day :D

chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 30, 2012 at 4:30 pm

sounds like an awesome lunch! That’s cool that the restaurant has a mix of greek and asian cuisine!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Baked Parmesan Chicken-healthy chicken fingersMy Profile

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog January 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Happy birthday brittany! I’m glad you had great birthday celebration! Dining outside on a nice day is such a treat and so is that brownie and ice cream! Have a great day! :)
Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog recently posted..What Every Girl NeedsMy Profile

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm

What a lovely meal. :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Inspired EatsMy Profile

Julia {girls with a stethoscope} January 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Awe happy birthday brittany! Your day sounded absolutely perfect!! :) I am sure Will had a lot to do with that of course :)
Julia {girls with a stethoscope} recently posted..10 things I wish I could tell myself @ age 16My Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Today was perfect “lunch outside” weather! I’ve actually never eaten at Spice. Glad you enjoyed it!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..You’re so vainMy Profile

Karlee @ BringingBackBalance January 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm

That looks like the perfect way to spend your birthday :) I can’t believe you got to eat lunch outside at the end of January! I live in Toronto and it is freeezing during winter. Well except for this winter – for some reason it is extra mild this year. Still not patio lunches outside!
Karlee @ BringingBackBalance recently posted..True FighterMy Profile

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun January 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Sounds like a wonderful day! Happy Birthday :)
Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun recently posted..Healthy Baking SubstitutionsMy Profile

Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry January 30, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Happy Birthday!
I love free birthday brownies from restaurants. And I love your one year tradition of the heart note, haha. You guys are so cute.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Do You Like Scary Movies?My Profile

Brittany January 31, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love free brownies period ;)

Emily @LivingLongfellow January 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Can’t imagine sitting outside right now! That sushi looks amazing. I can’t believe I’ve never seen swans make that heart before. Nature is amazing sometimes.
Emily @LivingLongfellow recently posted..Monday FreedomMy Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 30, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Happy Birthday, Brittany!!! Oh, to be 22 again. ;) Just teasing … I’m loving life, even if I am pushing 30 haha!

I loved Lake Eola back in the day. When I was in college in Gainesville, I dated a guy who lived in Orlando … so I made lots of trips there. I loved walked around the lake, and I even did the swan paddle boats once! But I think once was enough for me!! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..One last “Hurrah.”My Profile

jana @ newly wife healthy life January 30, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Amazing day! Gorgeous flowers! Yummy lunch! Looks like you had a fabulous birthday! :-)
jana @ newly wife healthy life recently posted..South of the BorderMy Profile

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats January 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Happy birthday! I’m glad you had a fabulous day. It looks gorgeous there right now so I’m sure sitting outside to eat must have been perfect. :-)
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Multilayer PastaMy Profile

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner January 30, 2012 at 9:47 pm

What a great way to spend your birthday with your man! :)
Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner recently posted..Buttermilk Oatmeal Pancakes!My Profile

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 30, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Happy Birthday!! Hope it was as great as it looked!!
Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans recently posted..Making Choices EasyMy Profile

Sarah January 31, 2012 at 8:21 am

What a great day; Happy late birthday!
Sarah recently posted..Winner Winner Chicken DinnerMy Profile

natalie @ southern fit foodie January 31, 2012 at 9:28 am

Awww how perfect! I’m so glad you got to fully enjoy your birthday and birthday weekend!
natalie @ southern fit foodie recently posted..Marvelous MondayMy Profile

Carolina @ Peas in a Blog January 31, 2012 at 9:41 am

I love Lake Eola, so pretty. Looks like you had a great birthday!
Carolina @ Peas in a Blog recently posted..Healthy Falafels.My Profile