Walking = No Joke

by Brittany on January 25, 2012

Boy oh boy, do I have a treat for you guys ;)– But first, let’s talk about this morning’s workout.

I got up (per usual), looked at my workout log (per usual), and thought about what kind of activity I wanted to do today (per usual). Honestly, I wasn’t really feeling anything at all, but because yesterday was a rest day, I decided to overpower the lazy voice in my head that wanted to read blogs all day and hit the pavement for a run.

Things started out great and I maintained a pretty steady pace for a little over a mile, but then my legs started getting tired so I made the decision to slow down and finish my workout with a speed walk. I kept up the walking pattern for another mile and a half, then was back at my apartment in no time.

My workout this morning brought a new revelation to mind—walking is really no joke! I’ve heard a lot of people in the midst of their own weight loss journeys talk down about the seemingly mindless act and say that its not “real exercise”, but the elevated heart rate that I was able to maintain throughout my walk certainly says otherwise!

The appetite that I returned home with said otherwise too…

chia seed pudding

Oh yeah. I went there.

Chocolate Protein Chia Seed Pudding

chocolate chia seed pudding

Serves: 1

Prep Time: 30 minutes or overnight

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup chia seeds (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp protein powder of choice (I used hemp)
  • 1 tbsp dark chocolate cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tbsp Stevia (or other sweetener)

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir together. Let sit for about 10 minutes, then mix again with a fork. Continue to let mixture sit until pudding forms and stir well before serving.

**For overnight option– just stir once after 10 minutes and let pudding form in refrigerator overnight.

protein chia seed pudding

I’ve gotta say, the texture of this baby did take a liiittle getting used to, but the addition of the dark chocolate made me want to keep eating! I also added a strawberry on top to contrast the chocolate pudding with a bit of fruity sweetness.

After pudding hour, my “to-do” list, my keys, & I were out the door and on our way to run the errands that were conveniently laid out for us :D

todoAnd I FINALLY picked up my not-so-stolen books! No postman theft activity afterall :D

books

I also made a pit stop by Publix to pick up kale, eggs, and a few other odds & ends for the rest of the week. As an egg-intolerant individual, you know that there HAS to be a recipe behind that addition to my list ;)

A bit to think about: Do you ever include walking in your exercise routine?

A bit to read:

fitpeanut January 25, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I think walks are great ! It’s part of my workout routine (and right now, I can’t really run, and walking is good too)
fitpeanut recently posted..Spa, scallops and shrimpsMy Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 25, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Oh, walking is one important part to any program because there are days when I swear walking is all I can do- and it’s important to not just sit on the couch. Walking is super! Especially power walking!!!!
Mmmmm- chia pudding! LOVE IT!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I definitely find that walking can be just what I need, especially at a brisk pace on the treadmill at an incline. It can work out some leg muscles I didn’t even know I had!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Green ThumbMy Profile

Julia {girls with a stethoscope} January 25, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Nothing wrong with power walks..sometimes they are just as efficient as runs :)

I had truvia on my to-buy list too!
Julia {girls with a stethoscope} recently posted..shop till I dropMy Profile

Brittany January 26, 2012 at 9:38 am

Its my all-time favorite sweetener! Just a tad bit expensive :(
Brittany recently posted..Evolution of BirthdaysMy Profile

Emily Butler January 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Just found your blog a few days ago, I love it! As far as walking I’ve been doing it for a few years (switched from running to walking after I had my first baby) and at first I too was skeptical but I have had great results with losing weight and maintaining with just walking at a speedy pace ( and sometimes not so speedy at the end of my second and third pregnancies ). So walking is my choice of cardio and it does work :) That protein pudding looks good, I I’ll have to give it a try!

Brittany January 26, 2012 at 9:38 am

Hey Emily! Thanks for popping in :)

That’s awesome that you had such great results with walking. Speed walking is some serious business!
Brittany recently posted..Evolution of BirthdaysMy Profile

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Walking is absolutely no joke. It works your muscles totally differently and can make you sore even if you are used to running that same trail. When I was in treatment and doing NO exercise at all for months I walked a pretty big street everyday and was amazed at how sore my butt and calves were! Never underestimate the power of low impact.
PS- I’m glad your mail was not stolen!
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..One Two Three FourMy Profile

Olivia January 25, 2012 at 5:06 pm

For several months since on vacation where I really only did treadmill, I absolutely love incline walking. It tones the bum!
Olivia recently posted..Fave Breakfast Fave ShowMy Profile

Mindy @ Clueless Nut January 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm

How do you like the hemp protein powder? What brand and flavor do you use?
Mindy @ Clueless Nut recently posted..WIAWMy Profile

Brittany January 26, 2012 at 9:41 am

It tastes kind of “green” if that makes any sense, but I love to mix it in things because it’s a plant based protein. I use Bob’s Red Mill :)
Brittany recently posted..Evolution of BirthdaysMy Profile

Ellen January 25, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Yes…..walking is REAL excercise, i genereally will walk around my work bldg during, i rather walk then eat lunch…and I have lost 4 lbs thanks to the walking and biking that I do…got to prep myself on the walking for the 60 miles I am doing in Oct, one of my Drs was happy to see that I have have added “weight bearing excerise”, and have lost…but she said not to lose more, i am at good weight for my height and “age”.. LOL..

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 25, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Walking is absolutely no joke ! Especially on the treadmill on a super high incline. It’s almost harder than running on a flat surface. Yay for picking up your books!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..What I’ve Been HavingMy Profile

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) January 25, 2012 at 7:00 pm

This is so true! I’ve heard that walking can actually be better for you overall than running. It doesn’t damage your joints, and you are able to maintain a steady, elevated heart rate.
Allison (Allison’s Delicious Life) recently posted..Loving the Little Things: # 1My Profile

Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I used to be one of those people that though walking was no big deal… wrong! It really is tough, but great too :)
I still haven’t tried the chia seed pudding! The texture might bother me a bit but I still want to give it a go
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..WIAW- The (Constant) Hunger Cues EditionMy Profile

Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 25, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I have been thinking about trying chia pudding for a while now – I bet it is absolutely delicious with some crushed raspberries. I walk on the treadmill on days I don’t want to exercise – I increase the incline and do some intervals and get a good workout in after all :)
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..WIAW – Glasses BashingMy Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 25, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Oh yeah, I love walking. I love walking outside with a friend or my husband, and I love walking on the treadmill and varying the speed and incline!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Zucchini Bread and more on Atlanta.My Profile

Emma @ Microcosm of Life January 25, 2012 at 8:36 pm

You are correct about the walking thing– add hills in there, and whoooo boy.

I am excited to see your “protein cookies”!
Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..My BakeryMy Profile

Mallory @ Have Your Cake January 25, 2012 at 9:43 pm

so true about walking – i love my running but when i want to linger at the gym my go-to activity is always walking @ 4.0 with an incline – it definitely gets your heart pumping, for sure!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake recently posted..Easy Weeknight MealMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It January 25, 2012 at 9:48 pm

My walks usually come about the same way as yours did – when things just feel “meh” during a run. Hiking is awesome too, but that’s a whole different story – and one that doesn’t happen too much here in FL!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Comment on Cheater, Cheater, Tofu Eater by Cheryl @ eatplayluvblogMy Profile

Brittany January 26, 2012 at 9:43 am

I wish we had mountains :(
Brittany recently posted..Evolution of BirthdaysMy Profile

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 25, 2012 at 10:18 pm

love walking workouts! So making this pudding! YUM
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..What I’ve been UP to – WIAWMy Profile

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 25, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love to walk! :) There is always this stigma that walking isn’t a good workout, but I really love doing it.
I have never tried Chia seed pudding…what’s the texture like?
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..A Gluten Free Cookie!!My Profile

Brittany January 26, 2012 at 9:44 am

Think tapioca pudding. I liked it, but a lot of people cant handle the texture
Brittany recently posted..Evolution of BirthdaysMy Profile

Rebecca January 26, 2012 at 12:51 am

I feel like that pudding would remind me too much of tapioca in texture. Tried it once and couldn’t take much of it. But chocolate is good. :D

Pretty much all I do is walk, actually. :P Occasionally I’ll find myself wanting to jog part of the way to or from school, which is random but kind of fun. And if I’m late, I’ll run part of the way down the hill. But mostly I walk, at least 10 minutes every day. Or maybe a little over. I’ll sometimes take the shuttle in the mornings (especially now that it’s actually winter), but most days after class I’ll walk back. And then you’ve got walking some on-campus during breaks and stuff. And walking for pretty much three hours at work the two nights I work every week. So some days have more walking than others… But I do get at least a little bit of walking in every day. Except Saturdays, I guess…
Rebecca recently posted..“I need a drink.”My Profile

Brittany January 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

You’re showing me up with all of your walking! :P
Brittany recently posted..Evolution of BirthdaysMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 26, 2012 at 7:56 am

I love to incorporate walking into my workouts! When I do cardio on my own, I usually stick to the elliptical but I do mix in some incline power walking every now & then.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..I’ve Come a Long WayMy Profile

Julie February 3, 2012 at 5:06 pm

OMG I made this, but I used regular milk, regular sugar and chai tea mix and it was AWESOME. Thanks so much for the idea!
Julie recently posted..Friday Food : Make Your Own Pasta!My Profile

Theresa December 10, 2012 at 11:49 am

If you have a Vitamix or Blendtec you can make the pudding smooth. I just threw everything all in and ground the chia seeds while it mixed everything. More of a texture my kids are used to.