The Season of Girl Scout Cookies

by Brittany on January 23, 2012

Good morning! Is is just me, or did this weekend fly by much faster than it should have? If you’re just catching up, here’s what you missed:

The church that Will & I have been going to on Sunday nights provides a free and delicious dinner to anyone who attends. Unfortunately, because of my random food allergies, I have to make it a point to fill my belly up with something beforehand just in case they don’t have anything that I can handle. Although so far they’ve had a good variety of meal items each time (like cilantro rice, chicken, and salads) it still makes me weary that I can’t predict what will be served.

No biggie, that just calls for a quick dinner fix before we split at 5:30 PM. Good thing I start to get hungry around 4:30 now ;) (My body clock is nuts.)

Last night I had lentil chili on my brain. Don’t ask—just go with it..

lentil chili

Surprisingly, the end result turned out pretty spectacular for a makeshift meal. So good, that I’m even thinking of creating a recipe post for it.

The chili was made up of onions, peppers, lentils, tomato sauce, and a few random spices, and I piled it on top of a bed of wilted spinach. I also prepped some homemade brown rice tortilla chips for dipping and topped the plate with a pile of Greek yogurt (wannabe sour cream).

chips greek yogurt

Wellllll, it’s a good thing I trusted my instincts because last night was pasta night at church. My wheat intolerance would not have been very happy!

Breakfast:

Is it weird that I can’t stop looking at the pictures of my strawberry yogurt bowl from the other morning? I mean seriously, I even included a picture of the stuff in the survey that I posted on Saturday!

There’s only one thing to do about food thoughts..

Encourage them 8)

strawberry bowl

I started by chopping up a few strawberries & mashing them in with the Greek yogurt, cinnamon & stevia mixture.

strawberries chop

Then 1/2 cup of puffed millet and 1/2 cup of multigrain Puffins were thrown in, along with a few more strawberry chunks. Top the whole thing with coconut butter & presto!

strawberry yogurt bowl

Could it be!? Did I pick coconut butter over Sunbutter again?… :D

Girl Scout Cookies:

AOL News notified me this morning that Girl Scout Cookie season has returned! January is the month when the cookie sales begin so we should start to notice the Girl Scouts outside of major shopping centers very soon, if not already.

girl scout cookies

Source

I’ve always been a thin mint lover myself. Something about freezing a minty cookie and nibbling on a layer of frozen chocolate always made me swoon.

However, this is my first year going into Girl Scout cookie season with knowledge of my wheat allergy, and unfortunately the cookie chefs have yet to come up with any wheat-free or gluten-free alternatives. I guess that means I’ll just have to get creative in the kitchen to solve that little roadblock… ;)

A bit to think about: Favorite Girl Scout cookie?

A bit to read:

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 23, 2012 at 9:11 am

I always loved the thin mints :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Pancake kind of day!My Profile

Mindy Lord @ clueless nut January 23, 2012 at 9:26 am

I love Girl Scouts cookies!!!
Mindy Lord @ clueless nut recently posted..Remove tagged photosMy Profile

Kristin January 23, 2012 at 9:26 am

Oh my gosh I forgot all about girl scout cookies! I think this will be my first year without :( caramel delights are definitely my favorite ones!
Kristin recently posted..Easy DIY Home DecorMy Profile

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 23, 2012 at 9:28 am

OO thin mints and the shortbread ones are my favorite :) Though I havent actually had any in a long time!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Childhood Snack Memory LaneMy Profile

Leashieloo January 23, 2012 at 9:39 am

I have a weakness for samoas, omg I could eat them all in one sitting. I saw the samoa ice cream at the grocery store yesterday and almost shrieked in euphoria.
Leashieloo recently posted..One Fish, Two FishMy Profile

Brittany January 23, 2012 at 2:03 pm

somoa ICE CREAM?! Oh my!!
Brittany recently posted..The Season of Girl Scout CookiesMy Profile

Sonja January 23, 2012 at 9:40 am

I totally feel you on those thin mints…they were always my whole family’s favorites and there’d be a big struggle to stretch our boxes over four appetites! Haha. But like you, I’m also gluten-free for the first time this year…however I am positive gluten-free kitchen alternatives can be made! Good luck :)
Sonja recently posted..Insta-Foods Take TwoMy Profile

Brittany January 23, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Did you ever freeze the thin mints? Maybe I’ll make a GF version for us both ;)
Brittany recently posted..The Season of Girl Scout CookiesMy Profile

Sonja January 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Yep! In fact I think I spotted a long-forgotten box in my stuffed freezer last trip home…like a terrible temptation machine haha. If you do I’ll definitely give it a go!
Sonja recently posted..Insta-Foods Take TwoMy Profile

Molly January 23, 2012 at 9:49 am

we used to always freeze our thin mint cookies also! I liked to eat them with peanut butter. :D
Molly recently posted..Sunday SurveyMy Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 23, 2012 at 9:49 am

I love how thick that chili is! Just how I like it!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..January BBQMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It January 23, 2012 at 9:50 am

Love your new sidebar picture, and the turkey bacon connoisseur bit :) As far as my girl scout cravings, im a thin mint girl all the way!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Comment on Is “Fitspiration” Healthy? by Lindsay @ The Reluctant RunnerMy Profile

Brittany January 23, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Thanks Faith :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 23, 2012 at 9:59 am

We still have tagalongs in our freezer from last year!! lol, but still, we ordered more. I can’t say no when I’m asked to buy!
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Break it UpMy Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

Your strawberry bowl looks delicious! What brand of coconut butter do you use? I’ve only tried the chocolate one. I used to LOVE girl scout cookies. Thin mints were my favorite but then I got into samoas.

Brittany January 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Artisana :D I didn’t even know that they had chocolate coconut butter!
Brittany recently posted..The Season of Girl Scout CookiesMy Profile

natalie @ southern fit foodie January 23, 2012 at 10:23 am

I love frozen thin mints crumbled over ice cream, but the samoas are my all time favorite. Daniel and I both like the tagalongs too (cookie with pb then dipped in chocolate). My adorable niece is selling girl scout cookies, so we bough 2 boxes of tagalongs. I couldn’t buy the samoas or I would eat them all! I’m hoping D will take all the tagalongs to work (except maybe 2 ha).

When I was reading about your strawberry cereal bowl, I read “top the whole thing with coconut butter and PESTO” hahhaa. Now THAT would be a strange combination!
natalie @ southern fit foodie recently posted..One week down…My Profile

chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 23, 2012 at 10:24 am

Your yogurt bowl looks AMAZING..the photography is beautiful:)..I have honestly never been a fan of girl scout cookies (the HORROR I know!)..I’m also surprised they have yet to come out with a gluten free version!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..A New Phone?My Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

How awesome that your church provides a meal! A tad bit of a bummer that you have to be so cautious but better safe than sorry- for sure!
Thin mints make me swoon too. Luckily there are no girl scouts in our area so I’m safe from temptation!

Alexandra January 23, 2012 at 10:50 am

Ahh girl scouts look out! I love me some samoas :)
Alexandra recently posted..Life Updates!My Profile

Jennie (the gf-gf) January 23, 2012 at 10:50 am

I was always a Samoa fan, myself, and surprisingly I barely miss them since I stopped eating gluten two years ago. But I did find this GF recipe for thin mints – I haven’t made them before, but this might just be the year I give it a try!
Jennie (the gf-gf) recently posted..Surprising Things My Boyfriend SaidMy Profile

Brittany January 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Jennie!!
Brittany recently posted..The Season of Girl Scout CookiesMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 23, 2012 at 11:04 am

Yum! I looove Girl Scout cookies, but I haven’t seen them anywhere — yet! I love the peanut butter ones — tagalongs? Delicious! I could pound an entire box.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Getting Back on TrackMy Profile

Krystie January 23, 2012 at 11:26 am

I use to be a girl scout, I love seeing them around it reminds me of way back when haha. My favorite cookies were the apple cinnamon ones that they discontinued ( I was probably the only person that liked them) nobody even remembers the cookie! So I dont buy them anymore :(

Life's a Bowl January 23, 2012 at 11:42 am

Mish-mash meals sometimes turn out to be some of my fave meals [that are then recreated] :D BTW, your photos make both dishes look absolutely delic!

I used to be a big samoa fan but haven’t had a GS cookie in yearsss!
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Successes Sunday: Week 3My Profile

Brittany January 23, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Thank you! :)
Brittany recently posted..The Season of Girl Scout CookiesMy Profile

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food January 23, 2012 at 11:42 am

Mmmm. I’m definitely a Thin Mint lover! I am also obsessed with Samoas, even though I hate coconut. I think the chocolate, caramel, and cookie parts outweight the fact that there is coconut hidden in there!
Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food recently posted..Rainy Mondays are ToughMy Profile

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 23, 2012 at 11:59 am

I had a similar craving for lentil sloppy joes last week! You just gotta go with it sometimes. :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Restaurant Review: HabitatMy Profile

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health January 23, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Um, your dinner and breakfast both look super tasty!! I love girl scout cookies but never actually buy them for myself haha…probably because I would just eat them way too quickly ;). I love the thin mints and shortbread ones!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Handful Sports Bra (GIVEAWAY)My Profile

Michelle @ Blogitness January 23, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Thin mints are the best. The girl scouts were just at my door the other day!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Only Cool People Go to the Zoo in the Snow!My Profile

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 23, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I am a huge girl scout cookie fan! Have a purchased any in the last few years. No. :) I can’t put the temptation in front of me. But thin mints are super yummy!
Love the breakfast Brittany!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life January 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm

That chilli looks seriously good! I know what you mean – I go to church Sunday mornings but afterwards is always coffee/tea hour with a variety of baked goods out there and my intolerance (sugar) is always challenged! But I just exercise the deepest discipline I have and try to avoid it haha.

I never thought about Girl Scout cookies having a season but I guess they do! Can you tell I’ve never lived in the US haha? Would love to see a Girl Scout cookie recipe from you!
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..Dreaming of Cheesy LasagnaMy Profile

Karlee @ BringingBackBalance January 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I used to loooove girl guide cookies. I just got the food allergy panel test and am waiting on my results, but I doubt that I will be able to eat them!

That chilli sounds amazing! I will def be waiting for the recipe :P I made some split pea soup in the crock pot last night and decided that I need to make chilli soon… it is soo stinkin easy to make dishes in the crock pot!
Karlee @ BringingBackBalance recently posted..Kick the IckMy Profile

Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I’ve only tried the samoas, but I’d love to try a tiny lil bite of everything on here! Mmmmm. And that lentil chili sounds really good actually! Nothing weird about it. C’mon, we’re “weird” already remember? :P
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Overnight BlissMy Profile

Tara burner January 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I got attacked by girl scouts yesterday outside of store, walked away empty handed..yea me!
Tara burner recently posted..Motivation Monday: First Day of the Rest of Your LifeMy Profile

Melissa @TryingtoHeal January 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I’m a huge fan of the pb cookies: Tagalongs and Do Si Does (that’s their names on the west coast). I get them every year and saver them for 12 months…soooo good.
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on 20 Things by KaraMy Profile

Michelle @ Our Dream, Made Out of Real Things January 23, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Hands down the Samoa’s are my favorite. Anything that has coconut in it actually is OK in my book. I feel bad though because I hate getting accosted at the grocery store for anything, but especially when it is something that could result in me sitting on the couch, consuming an entire box of sugar, and resulting in sweat pants wearing for a good month…
Michelle @ Our Dream, Made Out of Real Things recently posted..Feeling Like A New WomanMy Profile

Julia {girls with a stethoscope} January 23, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I am a total Samoa girl..hands down! haha

Its gotto be so tough with a wheat allergy because I feel like EVERYTHING contains wheat so kudos to you for being able to stick to it (although you probably dont have much of a choice haha).
Julia {girls with a stethoscope} recently posted..food award: snacks galore!My Profile

Nikki January 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Tagalongs!! YUMMMM. I didn’t order myself any, though, because they are the LAST thing that I need!
Nikki recently posted..I am alive.My Profile

Josie @ happycorredora.com January 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Yum! I love girl scout cookies! I heard about them when I was a kid watching the Brady Bunch but only tried them when I got to the US. My faves are the samoa cookie ones. You know Edy’s makes icecream with them as well? Dangerously good!! :)
Josie @ happycorredora.com recently posted..Energetic Monday!My Profile

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) January 23, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Can’t wait to see if you come up with a gf girlscout cookie! I’d love that.
Allison (Allison’s Delicious Life) recently posted..Loving the Little Things: # 1My Profile

Mallory @ Have Your Cake January 23, 2012 at 9:10 pm

samoas are my absolute favorites!!! ahh so good. i’m sorry you cant have them, but im sure youll come up with an amazing recipe as usual!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake recently posted..Saturday Night in the CityMy Profile

Pure2raw Twins January 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm

love girl scout cookies, though we can not eat them anymore, but that is ok we have figured out how to make amazing tasty sweet treats to satisfy us haha
thin mints were our favs!
Pure2raw Twins recently posted..baked cheezy quinoa casseroleMy Profile