December Favorites

by Brittany on January 4, 2012

Good morning, guys!

A old/new little visitor came to see me for breakfast this morning—my beloved quinoa in a Sunbutter jar :D

quinoa in a jar

Today’s Mix:

• 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • Sliced banana
  • Nutmeg
  • Cinnamon
  • Stevia
  • Coconut extract
  • Topped with: PB & Co. chocolate peanut butter

hot cereal in jar

If you haven’t been reading Itty Bits for a while (which is a good majority of you), you probably missed the early post about my melted buckwheat in a jar experience. Let’s just say that “experience” is an understatement…

To summarize the juicy scoop, I pretty much prepared my hot cereal in the pot as usual, but didn’t wait long enough to put the final product into my PLASTIC jar. Before my eyes, the jar’s plastic began to cave in, melting and collapsing upon the meeting with the heat. The grossest and most disturbing part of the story is that I ate them anyway, melted plastic and all. I’m going to blame this on the fact that it was a jar of Justin’s maple almond butter, and you know how that goes ;)

Anyway, since that day—I have been extra careful with always letting the final product cool before pouring it into the jar. Sometimes I even go as far as holding the pot in the open freezer, just to be certain that I’m not going to have another nightmarish ordeal goin’ on.

And now for my December favorites! A few days late, but it’s the thought that counts, right?

Favorite Memory: The Eve Proposal

proposal

Favorite Recipe: Salted Chocolate Pretzel Bars

salted chocolate pretzel bars

Favorite Popcorn Post: Little Lion Man

Favorite Heart-to-Heart: Kicked Out of Comfort

tree scene

Favorite Product Discovery: Quinoa flakes!

quinoa flakes

Favorite Life Post: 2011 Recap

bench press person

Favorite Picture: Popcorn in his lion suit

dog lion suit

A bit to think about: Any great moments in December? (Feel free to link up in the comment section!)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 4, 2012 at 7:17 am

Going home in December to watch the niece get dedicated into the church!
…You’ve had a pretty busy month girlie! Full of good things- Popcorn’s lion suit for example! ;)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Fajita Roasted Chickpeas –Bet you can’t eat just 48–My Profile

Samantha @ Health Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 4, 2012 at 7:30 am

December was a great month for me because there is a lot to celebrate. Not on is there Christmas and New Years but the BF celebrates his bday and so does his mom so there is lots of fun time with the family all month.

I’m glad you posted these so I can get caught up! :)
Samantha @ Health Happiness & Skinny Jeans recently posted..Work Out Wednesday: Quad and Butt Buster RoutineMy Profile

Alexandra January 4, 2012 at 7:59 am

Mmm what a tasty way to start the day!
December sure was a great month for you! I loved finishing finals and spending time with family in the last month of 2011 :)
Alexandra recently posted..WIAW–Ode to Whole FoodsMy Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 4, 2012 at 8:15 am

You’ve definitely inspired me to try sunflower butter after my nut butter supply is depleted!

Lindsay @ biking before bed January 4, 2012 at 8:16 am

December was a great month because I got to spend time with family and friends that I hadn’t seen in months. I also got to go rock climbing with my brother again which is always fun even though I am awful. And I totally would have eaten the plastic too. I broke a peanut butter glass jar a few months ago and salvaged the peanut butter (+ glass shards) of the floor:)
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..WIAW: Soup, Salad (and chocolate)My Profile

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 4, 2012 at 8:29 am

Any days off work (and I had 4 in December) are full of great moments :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..What I Ate (and What Santa Brought) WednesdayMy Profile

Paula January 4, 2012 at 8:50 am

Those chocolate pretzel bars look delicious! yum!

Pure2raw twins January 4, 2012 at 9:04 am

haha love the lion suit! popcorn is too cute
Pure2raw twins recently posted..on the road to DisneyMy Profile

Brittany January 5, 2012 at 8:33 am

He loves the attention 8)
Brittany recently posted..Chili HugsMy Profile

Shannon from Healthiful Balance January 4, 2012 at 9:13 am

I love how your QIAJ is pretty much about to overflow with goodness! :) Great recap!

Thanks for your comment on my blog! The low carb, high protein noodles are from a store here in Germany. They arent sold in the US but you could try Carba Nada noodles. They are high protein, high fiber and low carb. :)
Shannon from Healthiful Balance recently posted..Jell-O Arms & LegsMy Profile

Brittany January 5, 2012 at 8:33 am

I’ve heard of those, but I think they have wheat (which I’m allergic to) :(
Brittany recently posted..Chili HugsMy Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 4, 2012 at 9:34 am

I have never had that happen to me!! Definitely something to be aware of though :D

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health January 4, 2012 at 9:39 am

Aw, I love that I see all of the posts you linked to and I’ve read pretty much all of them :). And I’m glad that your breakfast was successful! It sounds super yummy!! I hope you have a great day Brittany!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..New Strength Workout for the Whole BodyMy Profile

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) January 4, 2012 at 9:52 am

I remember that post with the toxic oats!! Good times, good times ;) (Well not really considering the toxic part, but a good memory to look back on! My friends and I always look back on the “worst” memories like that as the best ;) )

I love this recap! I don’t remember the popcorn lion suit post, but that picture of him is beyond adorable!! :D
Alexandra (Veggin’ Out in the Kitchen) recently posted..Jillian Michael’s Yoga Meltdown: ReviewMy Profile

Brittany January 5, 2012 at 8:35 am

I love that you were around for the toxic oats :D
Brittany recently posted..Chili HugsMy Profile

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

I remember the toxic oats too!! haha
Have a fabulous day!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Bundle Up!My Profile

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 4, 2012 at 9:57 am

I love to remember special moments, especially if they are surrounded by Christmas! :) I got to spend this Christmas with my best friend, when I thought that I wouldn’t get to. We had such a blast!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..First run in a month…My Profile

Michelle @ Blogitness January 4, 2012 at 9:59 am

Popcorn in his lion suit is too cute!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

Madeline (Food, Fitness, and Family) January 4, 2012 at 10:14 am

Where do you find quinoa flakes?? December was such a fun month for you!
Madeline (Food, Fitness, and Family) recently posted..New Toys :) My Profile

Brittany January 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

I found them at Publix but they also have em at Whole Foods
Brittany recently posted..Chili HugsMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It January 4, 2012 at 10:35 am

The highlight of my December was my office’s rooftop Christmas party. It was a pretty low-key month though…but lots of excitement coming up for January!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Comment on The Ground Didn’t Catch Me by Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-UpsMy Profile

Liz @ Southern Charm January 4, 2012 at 11:07 am

Having one of the best, worry-free, no drama Christmas & New Years in quite some time!

Oh, and that time Sydney wrote a love note to Popcorn after she saw him in his lion suit :)
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..WIAW & NY ResolutionsMy Profile

Brittany January 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

Haha! They’re having quite the long distance relationship ;)
Brittany recently posted..Chili HugsMy Profile

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense January 4, 2012 at 11:14 am

Such an exciting December!!
Now I’ve got to try quinoa flakes… seen them around but never tried them before!!
Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Goals For 2012My Profile

Nikki January 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Bahahaha I was just reminded of your toxic oats experience ;)
Nikki recently posted..A New MeMy Profile

Maren January 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I really want to try this quinoa recipe. So intriguing.
Maren recently posted..SunflowerMy Profile

Anna @ The Guiltless Life January 4, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Some great memories there Brittany! It’s so funny, I remember that story about your jar melting so now every time I have something hot in a jar I am very very careful before pouring it in and I always think of you! Thankfully most of my nut butter jars are glass, but the few that are plastic I really watch first because mixing up all that toxic goodness haha.
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..January Goals and December Goal ReviewMy Profile

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog January 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Popcorn in the lion suit is the cutest thing ever!! Haha! :D
Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog recently posted..Burger ShackMy Profile

Sam January 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm

love the little recap!! and i can’t believe the jar started melting – freaky.

so happy to have found your blog as well – thanks for the sweet comments on mine!

happy new year :)
Sam recently posted..beautiful key necklace giveawayMy Profile

Julia {girls with a stethoscope} January 4, 2012 at 5:08 pm

December was great but went by way way way too fast :( I cannot believe the holidays are all officially over :(
Julia {girls with a stethoscope} recently posted..kickin’ off 2012My Profile