What better way the celebrate the new year than with a salted chocolate and pretzel combo?
The recipe of the dessert that made my 2011 complete is finally public, and I apologize because it is in no way, shape, or form considered “healthy.” Wait, if peanuts are one of the ingredients, does that mean that it qualifies as a healthy fat?
Salted Chocolate Pretzel Bars
- 2- 11.5 oz bags of milk chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli, which I swear by)
- 3 cups smashed salted pretzels
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 tbsp sea salt
1. Pour chocolate chips into a double broiler, or use the makeshift version (see picture below) by simply putting a bowl over a pot of boiling water. If you use this method, be sure that the water line is lower than the bottom of the bowl, and gently stir the chips together as they melt.
2. When chips are completely melted, combine pretzels and peanuts into the bowl. Stir all ingredients together.
3. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and spoon the chocolate mixture out on it. Spread mixture out until flattened.
4. Sprinkle sea salt over top of chocolate. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. Carefully slice the bars with a sharp knife and serve.
Makeshift double boiler:
A bit to think about: Favorite sweet of 2011?