Poinsettia Nails

by Brittany on December 7, 2011

One fantastic thing about being home and having no set schedule? Having more free time & flexibility to work out as I please :D

I’m normally a short-workout junkie. In fact, if you check out my daily workout log you’ll see that most of my sweat sessions typically last around 15-20 minutes on average. Now that I’m home and have access to a full gym that’s literally down the street from my parents’ house, I’m able to take full advantage!

Today I did my first hour-long workout in who knows how long. It went a little somethin’ like this–

Not only was it an out-of-norm workout because of the length, but the elliptical RARELY ever makes it into my routine anymore. Lately I’ve been known to stick to the track, treadmill, or jump rope. Who am I?

Lunch was green & leafy–

IMG_8102

Sauteed garlicky kale with pinto beans + a slice of Ener-G brown rice toast.

IMG_8105

I didn’t really know what to put on the toast so I plated it naked-style. By the end of the meal, I caught myself piling the greens on the toast and biting into it like a topless sandwich.

Am I foreseeing a legitimate garlic kale + pinto bean sandwich in my future? (Probably not, but it sounds pretty beastly.)

My mom has a terrible cold so I had to make a trip to CVS to pick up some antibiotics and Nyquil for her. The line at the prescription pick-up desk was really long, so I appeased my wait by browsing the nail polish section. I walked out with this holiday beauty–

IMG_8110

IMG_8113

The color is perfect for ze holidays. I feel like I have Christmas poinsettias on my toes :D

I’m making the executive decision to not post a picture of my painted toesies, and instead am going to wait until I get the chance to paint my fingernails too. Feet + food in the same post = no bueno. You can thank me later.

Dinner was the bomb dot com!

IMG_8125

I threw together one of my simple chickpea burgers, except without the chopped carrot that the original recipe calls for.

IMG_8120-1

Frozen bag of cooked butternut squash in the fridge = goldmine!

I zapped it for about 8 minutes in the microwave, mashed it all up, and added a bit of cinnamon and salt. Perfecto :D

IMG_8118

Plus a bunch of broiled brocc

IMG_8121

Popcorn & I have a phone date to make with Will a little later tonight, but I have a 5 page paper to finish first. Almost free!

Have a great night 8)

A bit to think about: Do you usually have your nails painted?

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 7, 2011 at 7:06 pm

awesome job with your workout! i’m sure it was nice to have that extra time!

i LOVE that color nail polish!! essie is my favorite nail polish brand too. i usually always have my toes painted, but only sometimes paint my fingernails. i hate chipped nail polish, and it seems like my fingernails always chip within just a couple days if i paint them. it’s usually just not worth it to me. i like to do it for special occasions or if i’m bored sometimes! ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Healthy Habits Start NOWMy Profile

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes December 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm

My nails are ALWAYS painted. It’s the one “beauty” thing I do, lol. My nails are kind of flaky so it helps keep them intact.
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..And On The 6th Day, God Created The NinjaMy Profile

Michelle @ Oats n Bows December 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Awesome workout! My legs hurt just reading it. I love having painted nails… but for some reason my nails reject polish. It always chips so much faster than everyone elses. Even a shellac manicure comes off in like 7 days. Sadness.
Michelle @ Oats n Bows recently posted..What I ate Wednesday: Baked ChickpeasMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 7, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I always have my nails painted… thanks to my beloved Shellac!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Holiday Gift Guide: For the FellaMy Profile

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog December 7, 2011 at 9:05 pm

That nail color is so pretty! I usually don’t paint my nails because I had lab and I wasn’t allowed to paint my nails. Love your dinner as well. It looks so good and nutritious!
Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog recently posted..Take What You NeedMy Profile

Mallory @Have Your Cake and Eat It Too December 7, 2011 at 9:19 pm

my nailbeds are very tiny so i usually dont have the patience to paint em! and im way too poor(and practical) to get weekly manicures…plus they make fun of me for having such small hands!
Mallory @Have Your Cake and Eat It Too recently posted..The BoyntonMy Profile

Emily December 7, 2011 at 9:22 pm

That workout sounds awesome! Sometimes getting a good, solid sweat-sesh in just feels sooo good.
And your lunch? Amazing. Kale is my addiction. Mmm… :)
Emily recently posted..WIAW #9: The Working Girl EditionMy Profile

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 7, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Pretty nail color!!! I love painted toes–I feel naked without ‘em!
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Treadmill HIIT Workout #1My Profile

Rebecca December 7, 2011 at 9:40 pm

“Bomb dot com” is something that my roommates just heard in a commercial, like, last weekend. It was funny. They were like, “What the heck???” I had to explain that it was basically “the bomb” but with a rhyme. It was funny. :)

Don’t paint my nails much. The last time I did was I think last spring (my toenails), and it stayed on for several months. But I haven’t painted my nails since then.

No set schedule = amazing. I am so ready for next Thursday, when I (hopefully) get to go home. No homework for like three weeks? Best feeling ever.
Rebecca recently posted..Thanks: Day 7My Profile

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats December 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I like that color a lot!! I always have my toes painted for the season. Bright pinks and corals for summer and richer colors for fall/winter.
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Snow DaysMy Profile

Nikki December 7, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I used to hate painting my nails or toenails back in my swimming days because it worn off as soon as practice began… I guess I never really picked back up on doing so! I do like the look of painted toenails, though!
Nikki recently posted..WIAW Compilation EditionMy Profile

Kathryn @ Flopoodle December 7, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Good luck with your paper!

I used to paint my nails all the time but I always forget these days! I can’t even remember the last time I had a manicure.
Kathryn @ Flopoodle recently posted..Vacation RecoveryMy Profile

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco December 8, 2011 at 12:15 am

I just found you blog and I LOVE it. Your pics are beautiful.

I know I’m new and I’m sorry if you already said this, but did you make that ener-g bread yourself? It looks awesome!
Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco recently posted..Peanut Butter Granola… RevengeMy Profile

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab December 8, 2011 at 3:11 am

I love the idea of painted nails but whenever I put it on it looks terrible on my nails and remove it immediately :D
Giulia @ Tutupa’s Lab recently posted..VacationMy Profile

Nada (One Arab Vegan) December 8, 2011 at 6:46 am

Thanks for linking up your chickpea burger recipe! So simple, I’m inspired! I go through phases with my nails, during the summer and the first part of the semester I was adamant about always having them painted. These days they’re less of a priority but I am SO looking forward to a good mani-pedi once I get home.
Nada (One Arab Vegan) recently posted..WIAW #11: A QuickieMy Profile

Carolina @ Peas in a Blog December 8, 2011 at 9:05 am

I always chip my nails within hours of painting them, it’s obnoxious! My toes last forever but my nails never last long. I typically have my toes painting & a clear coat on my fingernails.
Carolina @ Peas in a Blog recently posted..Hotel des Mille Collines, Rwanda.My Profile

Christelle @ The Running Lunch Box December 8, 2011 at 10:54 am

I ALWAYS have my finger and toe nails painted, even in the dead of winter! I’m obsessed with nail polish, I buy at least one every week. My collection is ridiculous really, when I get home, I need to give some away to my mom or sister or something. I’m now craving roasted broccoli ;)
Christelle @ The Running Lunch Box recently posted..The Start of a New Journey!My Profile

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race December 8, 2011 at 10:58 am

I love nail polish! My toes are alway painted! I try to paint my nails sometimes but it chips so easily (I wear gloves and wash my hands a lot at work). Love that color!!
Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..ARGH!!!My Profile

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola December 8, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Ohh that chickpea burger looks so good!! I need to make those!! And I love that nail polish color! Too pretty! I go through times where I never paint my nails and others when I always do! I think that when I’m painting them, I remember how much I love having manicured nails! But nail polish rarely sticks to my nails for more than a few days, so I constantly need to repaint!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..And I’m OffMy Profile