Glorious Turkey Day

by Brittany on November 25, 2011

And what a turkey day it was!

Every year, the annual Thanksgiving dinner is hosted at my parents’ house and we have family from all over join us for the feasting. The guest list usually ranges anywhere from 15 to 20 people, but this year was our biggest celebration yet with 21 people!

Big guest list = big turkey :D

IMG_7673

My mom roasted one 30-pound turkey, while my brother was responsible for smoking another 10-pounder in his smoker. Gobble gobble is right.

The table before the big meal:

IMG_7680

(Don’t mind my life-size senior portrait hanging on the wall.)

The table during the big meal:

IMG_7722

Originally, we planned to have dinner on the table by 5:00, maybe 6:00 at the latest. Unfortunately, because of a few mishaps in the kitchen (huge turkey to cook, only one oven to cook it in), my mom was running behind and we didn’t end up sitting down until 9:00 PM.

Hey—I’m not complaining. I still got my feast :D

IMG_7720

I went back for seconds of turkey, sweet potatoes, and green beans because I couldn’t resist. Oh, and you cant forget my vegan, wheat-free, sugar free pumpkin pie!

IMG_7671

This recipe experiment came out fantastic for a first timer, and I felt completely guilt-less digging into it after my two plates of Thanksgiving dinner. The only thing I can say is that it was a little difficult to slice and came out more like a mish mosh than an actual piece of pie, but hey—it tasted EXACTLY like the real thing! I can only hope for so much, right?

I’ll have the recipe up sometime in the next few days :)

And I can’t possibly forget the spectacular pumpkin trifle my aunt made for the occasion–

IMG_7683

Needless to say, a food baby ensued ;)

Although the food was spectacular and worth every bite, nothing could even compare to the family & friends that I was fortunate enough to spend my evening with.

IMG_7713

IMG_7675

(Popcorn wore his best tuxedo, courtesy of my mom.)

IMG_7678

IMG_7685

IMG_7695

IMG_7697

IMG_7702

(Anti-social Max)

IMG_7707

IMG_7717

IMG_7718

IMG_7726

IMG_7724

I’m pretty confident that blessed is an understatement for all of the great friends and family that I was able to enjoy the company of last night. A spectacular Thanksgiving, indeed :)

This morning, I surprisingly woke up with an appetite (which I couldn’t believe) and decided to embrace it with MORE turkey!

IMG_7733

IMG_7728

1-1/2 cup of puffed rice cereal, a sliced banana, ground flax, and almond milk

IMG_7727

with two slices of Applegate turkey bacon.

With all of the glorious food I ate yesterday, I have a feeling that today will be filled with copious amounts of veggies and a definite workout of some sort. Time to get back in the game!

A bit to think about: If you celebrated, how did you spend your Thanksgiving?

If you didn’t celebrate, are you tired of reading about everyone else’s Thanksgiving? ;)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 25, 2011 at 8:51 am

Fun! We had a great, laid back Thanksgiving at my mom’s house. My mom and I made all the food, and Brandon did a lot of football watching. ;) We wouldn’t let him in the kitchen haha.

Sadly, I’ve had a horrible cough for the last several days and haven’t been sleeping properly. So that puts a little damper on the weekend b/c I feel like a zombie. But I’m a happy zombie! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Giving ThanksMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance November 26, 2011 at 8:36 am

Aw! I’m sorry you’re not feeling well! :(
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Leftovers GaloreMy Profile

Shannon (Healthiful Balance) November 25, 2011 at 8:57 am

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving! :) All the food looks soo yummy! :)
Shannon (Healthiful Balance) recently posted..Win a $25 iHerb Shopping Spree!My Profile

Katie November 25, 2011 at 9:01 am

Your Thanksgiving looked wonderful!!!!

Popcorn looks SO cute!!!!! <3
Katie recently posted..Thanksgiving { Style }My Profile

Alexandra November 25, 2011 at 9:02 am

Food babies for the win! Looks like you had a wonderful thanksgiving feast!
and popcorn looks quite dapper in his tux heehee ;)
Alexandra recently posted..BEYOND HAPPY!!!My Profile

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 25, 2011 at 9:25 am

Popcorns tux.. I’m in love!!! Glad you had a wonderful holiday :D

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 25, 2011 at 10:05 am

Looks like a nice Thanksgiving with lots of yummy eats and good times with family. :) The husband and I celebrated our Thanksgiving THREE times! It was very nice to be with family all day.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving!My Profile

Christelle November 25, 2011 at 10:14 am

Looks like you had an awesome Thanksgiving! I’m a little jealous of all this delicious food that all you Americans ate…mine was over a month ago! I kinda like it that way, cause it gives me 2 months to prepare for another awesome feast at Christmas!

Itty Bits of Balance November 26, 2011 at 8:37 am

Haha very true! Christmas comes so soon, my poor poor belly haha
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Leftovers GaloreMy Profile

Emma @ Microcosm of Life November 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

I feel like I always end up eating more on the day after Thanksgiving because there are so many leftovers, and I just pick pick pick away at them. Haha.

You guys had a serious crowd! Wowza! It looks like you had a wonderful time with your family. That’s just the best, eh?
Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..The FeastMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

Glad to see you had a nice Thanksgiving! :-)

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats November 25, 2011 at 11:44 am

I’m glad you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 25, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Wow that is a feast! But I can see there were lots of people to enjoy it – that’s lovely to spend the holidays with so many family and friends! x
Anna @ The Guiltless Life recently posted..Three Ways to Sparkle This Holiday Season!My Profile

nicole November 25, 2011 at 12:37 pm

love love love love love popcorn’s tuxedo!
my thanksgiving was filled with anxiety, but i’m back to normal now, viewing bridget jones, writing, and snuggling with my puggle.
x
nicole recently posted..a knotted stomach and a wine rack of plentyMy Profile

Michelle @ Oats n Bows November 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Your thanksgiving looks great miss :) Oh and your Aunt is officially invited over to my next thanksgiving if she’s going to make that pumpkin trifle O_O
Michelle @ Oats n Bows recently posted..Thanksgiving RecapMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance November 26, 2011 at 8:38 am

I will let her know! :D haha
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Leftovers GaloreMy Profile

Julia {girls with a stethoscope} November 25, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Awe what a sweet family you have!! Love all those family pictures – made me smile :) Love your grey shirt..super cute!

30 lb turkey must take FOREVER to cook! My mom always does like a 15 lb one and that takes forever! haha

And that trifle?? Holy wowness! haha
Julia {girls with a stethoscope} recently posted..it’s time to be THANKFULMy Profile

Mallory @ It's Only Life November 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm

loved this post! i was shocked when i woke up with an appetite too– i think it is cause my stomach stretched out so much haha! i went to bed with a huge food baby!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..ThanksgivingMy Profile

Maria@La_Piattini November 25, 2011 at 6:18 pm

MMm everything looks so good- esp that trifle. And I love your shirt- where did you get it? So cute.
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..An Italian ThanksgivingMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance November 26, 2011 at 8:38 am

I think Forever 21! I’m not really sure…

Thank you!
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Leftovers GaloreMy Profile

Kiah November 25, 2011 at 10:13 pm

That pumpkin trifle is INSANE! Wow. Just…wow.
Kiah recently posted..giving thanksMy Profile

Emily November 26, 2011 at 12:15 am

It looks like your Thanksgiving was amazing!
I can’t wait for your pie recipe. Seriously. It sounds perfect! And having a go-to “guiltless” treat recipe during the holidays is a must.
I woke up with an appetite this morning too. (I blame all of the Black Friday running around I did!) Embracing it was definitely the way to go. :)
Emily recently posted..Thanksgiving 2011- Let’s Party!My Profile

Pure2raw twins November 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm

beautiful pic of your family! and glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving
Pure2raw twins recently posted..recap of giving thanksMy Profile

Kathleen November 27, 2011 at 10:17 am

Awwweee, Popcorn is such a cutie. :) Wow, you had a big Thanksgiving! We had like 6 people — that’s it!
Kathleen recently posted..There’s A Face In My Pumpkin Pie!!!My Profile