Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting

by Brittany on November 12, 2011

Kristen’s blog has become one of my favorites to read, so I was overjoyed when she agreed to guest post for me today! She is one of the kindest and most compassionate bloggers that I’ve met, and she never fails to crack me up with her hilarious adventures as a newlywed. The best news is that she brought along a great pumpkin recipe to share!

————————————————————————————————–

Hi, everyone! My name is Kristen, and I blog over at “Confessions of a (Not-So) Domesticated Newlywed.” I’m so honored that Brittany asked me to do a guest post for her.  She and I have become “blog buddies,” and I absolutely adore both her and her blog!

If you read my blog, you know that I’m recently married.

wedding10

But I’m still working on my wifey-role.  One of my favorite things to do is play around in the kitchen.  I love to cook and bake, but I’ve been known to make a mistake … or two. Angel

blondie broken bowl

Oops.

Today I want to share with you a recipe that I think I have finally perfected!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

(Adapted from this recipe)

018

• 1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips

Frosting Ingredients:

• 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
  • ¾ cup confectioners sugar
  • ¼ tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In one large bowl, combine the following: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  • In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, vegetable oil, honey, and water.
  • With a spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, until just combined.

004005

• Fold in the chocolate chips.

006

• Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.

008

• Bake for 17-20 minutes (mine baked for about 17 minutes).
  • In the meantime, beat cream cheese, confectioners sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy (I beat mine on medium speed for several minutes).

014015

• When the cupcakes come out of the oven, transfer them to a wire cooling rack.

009010

• Frost and enjoy!

020

These turned out just right.  Soft and light with the perfect amount of sweetness.

Just a couple of notes:

• The chocolate chips are optional.  But if you don’t use the chocolate chips, you have to use the frosting.  They need that additional sweetness!
  • If you do use chocolate chips, the frosting is just an added bonus.  They were delicious even before I added the frosting!

011012

Warning: Viewers be advised.  Baking these cupcakes could result in overeating.  This blogger couldn’t stop at just one … she may have eaten two three the first night she made them.

022

But they were worth it. Winking smile

025

A bit to think about: Are you a pumpkin fan?

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

These look delish! Would be perfect to add to my list of potential Thanksgiving desserts!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Thanksgiving Desserts: Brought to you by PinterestMy Profile

Brittany @ RunWithBritt November 12, 2011 at 9:51 am

I’m such a sucker for pumpkin! And since I’m carbo loading for my marathon tomorrow, I think some baking might be in order today. :) Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!
Brittany @ RunWithBritt recently posted..I’m Running A Marathon Tomorrow!My Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Let me know if you make them!! I hope you love them as much as I do!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The day before the big day.My Profile

Pure2raw twins November 12, 2011 at 10:18 am

yes we are huge pumpkin fans!!! want those muffins now!! YUMMMMMM
Pure2raw twins recently posted..squash muf-cakes with a persimmon tahini frostingMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 12, 2011 at 10:19 am

Great guest post!! I need to check out Kristen’s blog, as I love reading about other newlywed’s adventures! DELICIOUS looking recipe too!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Much Needed “Me Time”My Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Sounds like i need to check out your blog, too! :)

Pamela November 12, 2011 at 10:26 am

I love pumpkin, and these muffins look delicious! I will definitely check out your blog, Kristen! :)
Pamela recently posted..So Long PumpkinMy Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Thank you so much, Pamela! Glad you like the recipe! :)

nicole November 12, 2011 at 12:59 pm

OH MY GOODNESS.
1. i love your wedding dress and bouquet!
2. i wonder if tofutti vegan cream cheese and carob vegan chips can be used as acceptable substitute because if so, i’m in love with this recipe!!!
i’m glad that you perfected this portion of your wifey duty. haha! :) x
nicole recently posted..when a dog smilesMy Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Thank you so much, Nicole!! Your are so sweet! I loved my bouquet, too. I was really sad when I eventually had to stop carrying it around! ;)

And unfortunately, I know NOTHING about vegan cooking, but I bet Brittany would be able to give us some advice when she gets back!

Itty Bits of Balance November 14, 2011 at 10:40 am

I’ve never personally tried Tofutti vegan cream cheese, but could totally see the carob chips working. If you give it a try, let us know, Nicole :)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Bahamas Cruisin’ RecapMy Profile

Rebecca November 12, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I might have to make these over Thanksgiving break!!!
Also definitely checking out your blog!
Rebecca recently posted..Boring day.My Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Let me know if you make them! I promise you won’t regret it! ;)

Errign November 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Mmm pumpkin and cream cheese frosting? Sign me up!
Errign recently posted..Random Ramble.My Profile

Jordan November 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm

oh my gosh the name of this post just made me pee my pants in excitement!!!! i love kristen :)
Jordan recently posted..New FriendsMy Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 12, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Right back at ya, Jordan! ;)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Aww Brittany you are so stinking sweet. Thank you so much for your kind words! You’re the best! Hope you’re having a great time on your trip!! :)

Itty Bits of Balance November 14, 2011 at 10:40 am

Thank you, Kristen! Loved the guest post and the added bonus of looking at the batch of these my roommate made every time I open my fridge ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Bahamas Cruisin’ RecapMy Profile

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter November 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Those look absolutley amazing!! :D
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..body benders, strongest man on the planet…with a side of designMy Profile

Danae November 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm

These look delicious! I’m doing Weight Watchers and so I plugged them in to my receipe builder see how many points they would be and it came out to 6 points (without the frosting). I think I might make these, but make them smaller so they will be fewer points. Can’t wait to try them!
Danae recently posted..Days 10 & 11 of Thanks & TurboFireMy Profile