Smoothie In a Bowl & September Favorites

by Brittany on October 1, 2011

This afternoon I finally broke into the Vega Chocolate smoothie mix that Amanda at Running With Spoons graciously sent me last week.

I had heard so much about this stuff before I even created the bloggie, but never could get myself to make the purchase at Whole Foods Paycheck. Two servings of veggies? 100 calories? 10 grams of protein? CHOCOLATE? I was down. ;)

Chocolate vega powder

Not only did I try the Vega mix for the first time, but I also had my first smoothie-in-a-bowl! I really don’t have an explanation for this one— Forgive me?

Smoothie in a bowl

Into the mix:

• Vega packet
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
  • Vanilla extract
  • Stevia
  • Ice
  • Topped with: Gluten Free Rice Krispies

IMG_4808

IMG_4798

If the smoothie overflows, does that make it even more delicious? ;)

IMG_4800

I vote yes.

I wanted to start something new on the bloggie—a list of “monthly favorites”. At the end of each month, I’m going to do a compilation post to include my favorite moments and memories of the month. This will be a great way for me to remind myself of some awesome things that happened, and let you guys catch up on any posts you might have missed.

Let us begin!

September 2011 Favorites

Favorite Memory: Buying Popcorn on a whim

IMG_3684

Favorite Recipe: Chocolate chip Protein Cookies

fer 011

Favorite Heart-to-Heat: My Faith Disclaimer

Baptism 440

Favorite New Product Discovery: Sunbutter 8)

IMG_3897

Favorite Popcorn Post: The Walk From Hell

image

Favorite Photo:

image

A bit to think about: What was your favorite moment of September?

Lindsay@LivingLindsay October 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Vega is really yummy! I’m a sun warrior junkie, but do love Vega and like to switch it up from time to time. :)
Popcorn is so adorable – I say it every time, but I just can’t STAND how cute he is!!
My fave September memory – our beach trip over Labor Day weekend. It was so fun and the weather was perfect. :)
Lindsay@LivingLindsay recently posted..Stalk o’ SproutsMy Profile

Kiah October 1, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Aww, look at little baby Popcorn! I’d have to say my biggest September accomplishment was hitting my weekly mileage for my first 1/2 marathon. In the past something has always come up and interrupted my training, but I’m determined to follow this one through!
Kiah recently posted..how it came to be, part twoMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance October 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Wow that’s awesome, Kiah :)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Smoothie In a Bowl & September FavoritesMy Profile

Maren October 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I haven’t done a smoothie in a bowl yet… Intimidation continues to win that battle. Popcorn is just too cute! I can’t get enough of him.
Maren recently posted..There is 1 thing I always know is true!My Profile

Brittany October 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm

This is such a cute idea!! I am in love with smoothies in a bowl. Quick question: Are you gluten free? I’ve seen multiple stuff on your blog that was but I wasn’t sure if you are completely free?

Itty Bits of Balance October 1, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I’m wheat free– I have a very mild intolerance to it (I get bloated and have a bad tummy ache), so I try my best to avoid it in large amounts :)

Natasha October 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm

My fav part of september – College football games and honeycrisp apples!
Natasha recently posted..Some insight…My Profile

Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin' October 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Smoothies in a bowl are the only way to go! ;) Or a tervis tumbler! Your little popcorn is soo adorable! I wish John and I could get a dog, but it’s just not the right time and we aren’t living in the right place! Hopefully in about 2 or 3 years! :)
Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin’ recently posted..A Wild FridayMy Profile

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 1, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I love that bowl – so pretty! That delicious looking smoothie in it makes it look even better. :) I love to add Rice Krispies to my yogurt sometimes to give it a little extra crunch…now I need to try it in my smoothies too!

I love Sunbutter too…I just have such a hard time spending so much money on it. I wish it were cheaper, because it’s so yummy! :(
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..My Favorite MonthMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance October 1, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Go to Target!! It’s like 5.50!

Lindsay October 1, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Awww this is too cute. I love all your September faves. That smoothie bowl looks really good. I def need to make myself a large one sometime soon. Usually mine turn into complete disasters.

My fave thing about September was probably rocking all my exams with As. Seriously? That has like never happened to me when I had 4 exams in one week.
Lindsay recently posted..Celebrating the New YearMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Love all the Popcorn pics!

I’ve never made a smoothie in a bowl, but that sure does look tasty!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..My FavoritesMy Profile

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog October 1, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I really like this new idea! My favorite thing about September was when I went to the farmer’s market for the first time with my boyfriend. :)
Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog recently posted..October is in the airMy Profile

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats October 1, 2011 at 4:57 pm

The last pic is too freaking adorable! Love Popcorn’s tiny shirt!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Last Weekend Run Before THE RunMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance October 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Haha he HATES it :)

Lauren October 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm

That picture of those two sleeping is so cute! My favorite September moment was apple picking in 80 degree weather. It never gets that warm in late September, but I think fall is actually here today (42 out + rain).
Lauren recently posted..A New French ToastMy Profile

Lizzie October 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm

that is the cutest photo ever! :)
i really like the whole idea of doing a little review of september!!
and smoothies in a bowl are always really good. i actually had one for lunch today!
Lizzie recently posted..awesome TUNES (:My Profile

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter October 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I LOVE huge smoothie bowls! When they’re overflowing it makes it 100x more delicious :D I love what you’re going to do at the end of each month- it’s a great idea!
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..don’t cryMy Profile

Paige @ Running Around Normal October 1, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Hey Brittany! Popcorn is such a little cutie. I think he would get along very well with Niko ;)
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Dirty ThirtiesMy Profile

Steph @ A Hungry Bookworm October 1, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I honestly can’t believe it has only been within the last month that you got Popcorn, it seems like he’s always been around!
Steph @ A Hungry Bookworm recently posted..Spoon BreadMy Profile

Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com October 1, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Great post!!! I love the “Favorites” concept. And I love your September favorites. Especially Popcorn. :)
Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com recently posted..Friday ForecastMy Profile