Pup Responsibility

by Brittany on September 30, 2011

Good morning & happy Friday!

I’m lovin’ that there are so many other candy corn fans out there :D Will & I sat on the couch with the bag between us for about 10 minutes last night before he made the decision to hide it somewhere in the depths of my apartment. Is he a smart cookie or what?

This morning I was supposed to head over to my old office to help out with a Halloween party that they’re planning, but some things developed and Will wasn’t able to stop by and let Popcorn out during the day like we had planned. Knowing that my 12-week old pup would be cooped up in his tiny crate all day and that the job I would be doing at the office could easily be done by somebody else, I made the decision that it was best for me not to go in.

IMG_4705

Call me crazy, but I feel like I’m responsible for a little bitty baby– I can’t even imagine leaving him all alone in his crate for 8 hours straight. Let alone the fact that he will poop and pee all over himself after a quarter of the time.

I’m very fortunate that my current schedule is ultra- flexible so it’s fairly easy for me to make frequent stops by the apartment to check on the pup. I realize that life happens and I can’t always be around for him, but I think there’s a difference between being clingy to a puppy and being careless with my responsibilities.

Major kudos to those of you who work full-time with new puppies at home! You guys are rock stars ;)

Breakfast:

Berries are going out of season and I’ve had some strawberries in my fridge for a few days now that just started to get the memo. Usually, I can make berries last an entire week or two, but these babies are already withering up on me.

Of course, they were sliced up into my ultra-red bowl of cereal this morning.

IMG_4746

1/2 cup Whole-O’s, 1/2 cup gluten-free Rice Krispies, strawberries, blueberries, 1/2 banana (under there somewhere) and unsweetened almond milk.

IMG_4743-1

Why is it that my cereal always screams patriotism?

This turkey bacon queen also enjoyed some Wellshire Farms turkey bacon on the side ;)

IMG_4749

A bit to think about: How do you make decisions when they involve conflicting responsibilities?

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 30, 2011 at 8:45 am

It’s so nice to find responsible furry-child parents. I hated seeing so many students in school who would not take adequate care of their pets. How can you not? They’re your lil’ buddy. Actually, they’re your lil’ very dependent buddy.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..EAS GoodiesMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 30, 2011 at 8:45 am

Aw I know exactly what you mean! I adopted my dog when he was about 2 years old & already crate-trained/housebroken, but I still feel terrible if he’s in the crate longer than usual. All he does is SLEEP whether he’s in the crate or not, but still, he likes to be around his mommy! ;-) I will definitely leave work as soon as I can if I know he’s been cooped up for a while, or coordinate things with my husband to make sure he’s well taken care of!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Indian SummerMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 30, 2011 at 9:32 am

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one :) It’s tough to understand what it’s like until you actually have one of your own to care for
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Pup ResponsibilityMy Profile

Laural @ Being Healthier September 30, 2011 at 8:53 am

you are totally a turkey bacon queen!!!! I was thinking that before I read it! The pup looks so in love with you!!!what a cutie pie
Laural @ Being Healthier recently posted..Vezer Family VineyardsMy Profile

Sweet and Savvy September 30, 2011 at 8:59 am

Since popcorn is important to you…. that’s what you should take care Of!:)

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health September 30, 2011 at 9:15 am

I think you are totally doing the right thing! If there are conflicting responsibilities, I usually try to see what means more to me and do that- unless of course I can’t get out of the other thing haha. An animal really does become part of your family so I think it’s so important to take good care of them! And you’re not being clingy at all.
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Sometimes You Just Need Some CandyMy Profile

Kat September 30, 2011 at 9:15 am

I was lucky enough to have a boss who let me bring my puppy to work :) It was great having her with me all day!! I agree though that you def shouldnt leave him in a crate all day. He would probably be miserable!
Kat recently posted..Peach Cobbler BarsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 30, 2011 at 9:31 am

WHAT!? That is beyond amazing!
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Pup ResponsibilityMy Profile

Emma September 30, 2011 at 9:20 am

I could not even imagine taking care of my own dog, especially a puppy! Don’t even talk to me about having babies.

Your breakfasts just scream “AMEYRICUH!”
Emma recently posted..Crispy Tofu and Red Velvet CookiesMy Profile

Mer @mersworld September 30, 2011 at 9:25 am

I am awful with conflicting responsibilities! I always try and do too much! It generally comes down to which event is first, which requires the most time and what I can actually accomplish!
Mer @mersworld recently posted..Fit Friday FaveMy Profile

Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry September 30, 2011 at 9:52 am

Popcorn is RIDICULOUS. So so ridiculously cute. I would take one look at that face and let him chew on everything I own.
I think you made the right decision in not going…taking care of a dog is like a kid in training! Definitely a priority.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Last Day of Boot Camp (+ Healthy Milkshakes)My Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 30, 2011 at 10:08 am

Aw! Isn’t it so cray how an animal can be sooooo extremely close to having a kid. The husband and I have two cats and I swear that they are just like having kids! Okay, maybe not JUST ;) But I sure do love ‘em!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset September 30, 2011 at 10:43 am

I am soo jealous that you have Popcorn…. I want him, he is so darn cute :) They sure are a ton of responsibility though, but their adorableness helps to cope with that hehe
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Judge Not Lest Ye Be JudgedMy Profile

Lindsay Loves Veggies September 30, 2011 at 11:10 am

Mmmmmmm your berries look good!! I’m so sad that summer/berry season is over!
Lindsay Loves Veggies recently posted..Zucchini Rice CasseroleMy Profile

Sarah (everydaysapicnic) September 30, 2011 at 11:33 am

I’d love a dog, but working full time I know it just wouldn’t be fair. They sure are a lot of responsibility, but very rewarding too.
Sarah (everydaysapicnic) recently posted..Caution: Extreme Chocolate!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm

That’s great that you’re able to recognize that you cant get a pup right now! A lot of people would have a hard time saying no
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Phone PoliceMy Profile

Errign September 30, 2011 at 11:39 am

I’m obsessed with getting everything done, so I usually concoct some hare-brained strategy to do everything and end up stressing myself out. It’s an awesome habit, trust me. :/

I always really want turkey bacon when I visit your blog. If only I could buy less than 1 pound packages, then maybe I’d indulge in some!
Errign recently posted..The Grocery Shopping Post.My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Aw, don’ worry Errign. We ALL stress ourselves out sometimes :(

I’ll send you a slice ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Phone PoliceMy Profile

Brittany September 30, 2011 at 11:42 am

It’s so nice to see that you know how to take care of popcorn! I hate when college kids like us get a pet and practically neglect it and don’t have their priorities in line. If I need to make a decision I think about what is most important to me, what needs to be done right away, and what can wait. If it come to my pup, he’s always first :)
Brittany recently posted..Friday FavoritesMy Profile

katie @KatieDid September 30, 2011 at 11:51 am

I wish my roommate could take a lesson from you! She unfortunately leaves her dog in the crate for most of the day and we’ve been having a lot of issues with it all :/ But it’s a big lesson in responsibility I suppose!

Itty Bits of Balance September 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Really!? That’s so sad. She doesn’t feel bad about it at all? What kind of dog is it?
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Phone PoliceMy Profile

katie @KatieDid September 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

She does feel bad, but she just didn’t think through getting a large dog in such a small apartment at such a young age! I think small dogs are much more realistic and manageable for students living in apartments, but he is a rotty/shepherd/lab mix (we think) and does NOT do well in his crate. He’s not in it allll day, but for the hours that he is, he throws himself around and has a lot of anxiety about it. The whole situation is just sad/ unfortunate :(

Itty Bits of Balance September 30, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Aw I’m sorry to hear that :( I hope the situation gets better!

Yeah, Popcorn is so tiny, he gets most of his exercise just darting around my living room haha
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Phone PoliceMy Profile

Katie September 30, 2011 at 11:58 am

That is hard to have a puppy cooped up all day, I know that my friend had a puppy and worked full time, she would pay someone to come over and walk the puppy, that way her pup would get out a little!

Happy Friday love!
Katie recently posted..Pasta { boys } Salad { girl }My Profile

Cait @ Cait hates Cake September 30, 2011 at 11:58 am

I’m lucky that I work from home, so Maddux doesn’t have to be crated during the workday. When we are going to be gone for a while, we get a dog walker. He also goes to doggy daycare once a week. It’s nice you have a flexible schedule because puppies sure require a lot of work!! For me, the biggest change when getting a puppy was not being able to just make plans and leave on a whim – everything revolves around his schedule! ;)
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..I Put That Sh*t On Everything!My Profile

Julia {girls with a stethoscope} September 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Dogs are definitely like children – I think a great pet-owner thinks of their pets as his/her own children. I am going to adopt a puppy soon and I cannot wait. Nothing like coming home and having the little guy/girl be so excited to see you :) Your puppy is absolutely ADORABLE! How big is Popcorn going to get?
Julia {girls with a stethoscope} recently posted..hard work DOES pay off!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Aw that’s awesome, Julia! It wasn’t until I got Popcorn that I realized there truly isn’t anything like a dog.

The vet says he’s going to be 6 pounds at the most :)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Phone PoliceMy Profile

Amy @ Livin N Learning October 1, 2011 at 12:38 am

New reader here thanks to seeing a comment you left on a post by Tessa @ Amazing Asset.

I definitely know how you feel about conflicting responsibilities. My family just got a puppy in July and it is definitely tough to say goodbye when you have work or other activities to attend where the puppers can’t go. I struggle with the days I have time to be at home especially because I want to hang with the pups but I also need to be working on school and sometimes the two just don’t go together. :(
Amy @ Livin N Learning recently posted..This Ain’t No Thinkin’ ThingMy Profile