The Walk from Hell

by Brittany on September 25, 2011

As I mentioned this morning, the main reason that I came to visit Miami this weekend is because I wanted Popcorn to be exposed to my “home” environment before he hit his 12-week birthday. As Popcorn sees it, location made no difference to him– the highlight of his trip has been our family-dog, Max.

IMG_4399

Max is the least-dog-like canine of all the dogs I’ve ever met in my 21 years of life. We never socialized him as a puppy and he rarely steps paw outside of this house, so he doesn’t exactly understand what real dogs act like in dog world (Or rather, off of the living-room recliner.)

Which explains his retreat into the corner,

IMG_4394

and his scaredy-cat chase away from itty bitty Popcorn.

IMG_4396

(Note: the pee stain actually ON the puppy pad. SCORE 8) )

However, nothing beat out Max’s reaction to Popcorn during their first walk together around the neighborhood. Although Max doesn’t act like a dog in any other sense of the word, he does happen to love his walks. When I announced that I was going to take the two pups out, Max instantly started to prance around in excitement and bolt towards the front door.

Popcorn tried to share in his excitement too

IMG_4416

but Max was not havin’ it..

IMG_4424

IMG_4425

IMG_4423

10 minutes into Max’s Walk from Hell, Popcorn gave up on trying to bond with his new friend. Could you blame him? Max clearly needs to work on his housewarming skills.

IMG_4422

Back to Reality:

Sadly, my vacation ends today and Will & I are heading back to Orlando :(

Snackage for the road:

IMG_4472

Carrots, a leftover 1/2 of an apple, and a smushed mini White Chocolate Macadamia Luna bar.

Adios!

A bit to think about: Do you like to think that you’re you a better host than Max? ;)

Alexandra September 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Aww poor popcorn, maybe next visit max will warm up to him ;) Have a safe trip back to Orlando!
Alexandra recently posted..Procrastinating in the midst of DOMSMy Profile

fittingbackin September 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm

What a great pupper shirt! hehe glad potty training is going so well!
fittingbackin recently posted..Meal Plan "Monday"; Fun Football SaturdayMy Profile

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Aw that is so sad for Popcorn…although I don’t know who to feel more sad for b/c Max looks so scared! Poor things!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Playing Catch-UpMy Profile

Lindsay September 25, 2011 at 2:45 pm

This is hilarious. Max looks soo terrified. Pets can be so weird when you bring around another pet. My cat freaks out when any other animal will come into our house.
Lindsay recently posted..Life as a Busy Bee (GF eggplant parm recipe)My Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Awwww poor Popcorn!! Tell him that he can come and stay with me ANYTIME!! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whatcha Reading WeekendMy Profile

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Haha my LUNA bars get smooshed all the time :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..First of the Fall Desserts- Spiced Apple Cake Friday.My Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Aw, Max just likes to do his own thing! ;-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Long OverdueMy Profile

Kiah September 25, 2011 at 4:59 pm

This post made me crack up! My dog Salsa is currently afraid of my neighbor’s pumpkin–she scurries past it every time, like it’s going to come after her. There’s no telling what’s going on in their puppy brains :-)
Kiah recently posted..how it came to be, part oneMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 25, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Your dogs name is Salsa!? How ADORABLE!

Will: “Popcorn and Salsa would get along”
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity JigMy Profile

Kiah September 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm

They would be bffs, for sure! They might be, you know, gf/bf material…
Kiah recently posted..how it came to be, part oneMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 26, 2011 at 5:40 am

I see a potential love connection waiting to happen!

Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body September 25, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I loved these hearing about popcorn and max hehe! Dogs can do the darnest things sometimes! Yay for popcorn using the potty pad! :)
Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body recently posted..WANTED: AdviceMy Profile

Sweet and Savvy September 25, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Haha.. awl.. poor Popcorn! :( He was just trying to be friendly..
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Marshmallow PieMy Profile

Alaina Johnson September 25, 2011 at 6:31 pm

this cracked me up! poor popcorn! I would walk with him and I am sure both my dogs would welcome him with open paws.

when we brought my lab puppy home when I was 13, my faithful golden retriever wanted nothing to do with her. She would leave the room if the puppy tried to lay down next to her. it was super sad how much Liberty loved her and Belle was like “meh, you kinda have puppy breath”.
Alaina Johnson recently posted..Four Years LaterMy Profile

Brittany September 25, 2011 at 6:31 pm

haha the last picture made me laugh!! tooo cute!

Lindsay@LivingLindsay September 25, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Who wouldn’t love Popcorn? He’s adorable!! Max just has his routine and likes to stick with it. He’s like my parents. When we go and visit, they’re happy to see us, but their routine won’t change for anything. :)
Lindsay@LivingLindsay recently posted..Pumpkin Pie PancakesMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 25, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Haha I guess some people (and dogs) are set in their ways ;)

Lindsay Loves Veggies September 25, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I heart Mr. Popcorn! I wish I’d known Arlo in his puppy years. We got him at 6 months. It’s funny though, he’s a very social dog, and we take him everywhere with us that we can, but he is the WORST host ever! He will freak out on any dog that comes in our house, whether he knows them on the outside or not! Despite his size, I’ve even seen him try to attack our friend’s rottweiler!

My boyfriend’s mom has 2 big dogs that Arlo actually loves to play with. They’re really careful with him, and act like he’s their pesky little brother whenever he goes over there. <3
Lindsay Loves Veggies recently posted..Natural Beauty: Dr. Bronner’s Magic SoapMy Profile

Lindsay Loves Veggies September 25, 2011 at 7:15 pm

By the way, is it as hard for you to get good pics of Popcorn as it is for me with Arlo?? He refuses to look at the camera, and he moves around so fast that I can’t keep him in the frame long enough to get a shot!

Itty Bits of Balance September 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Haha aww! Maybe Arlo would like Popcorn!? They could easily be brothers ;)

And actually Popcorn isn’t too bad to catch on camera. When I say his name he usually looks :D

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas September 25, 2011 at 7:45 pm

HAHAH Max could literally be my dog! We call my dog a peacock because he thinks he rules the street! :)
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Run Jess, Run!My Profile

Qi Ting @ Misadventures of Fat free Baking September 25, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Oh my! They’re so cute! Popcorn is so friendly… Max… why won’t you make friends with him??
Qi Ting @ Misadventures of Fat free Baking recently posted..An Experiment: Low Fat (Almost Vegan) 3-Layer Cookie Dough BarsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I asked the SAME question :(

Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com September 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Popcorn is so ridiculously cute!!! I love him! My parents’ dogs are just like Max – sort of used to their own secluded environment – so when I first brought my puppy Roosevelt home they were a little awkward at first. But they’ve warmed up to him over the past two years.
Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com recently posted..Randolph Street Market ExtravaganzaMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Hmm hopefully Max does too!

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter September 25, 2011 at 8:27 pm

My dog is a big ol baby, like Max. :P It’s pretty funny.
Have a good and safe trip back to Orlando!
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..justin timberlake, john cusak, and fake peanut butterMy Profile

Pure2raw twins September 25, 2011 at 9:38 pm

oh no, sorry the doggies did not get along at first, but I am sure over time they will be playing :) they are both so cute
Pure2raw twins recently posted..HEAB and SummerMy Profile

JennKnee September 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm

This post honestly made my day. I could not stop smiling! And the very first picture of popcorn gazing up at Max…*hearmelt*
This makes me miss Willy (my dog…who stays in Alberta when I’m living in B.C..sad)
JennKnee recently posted..The Wheel of LifeMy Profile

Sam September 26, 2011 at 7:37 am

Hahaha omg this is sooo cute. Popcorn is killing me right now.
Sam recently posted..Yes, Honey?My Profile

Andrea @ Andrea out loud! September 26, 2011 at 12:07 pm

haha popcorn is so full of life! I just love it!!
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..Keeping A Positive OutlookMy Profile

Allie {a teaspoon of LIFE} September 26, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Oh my gosh hilarious! Max is a dick. Straight up.
Poor little popcorn. I love you photograph narrations. It looks like it’s exactly what popcorn was thinking.
Allie {a teaspoon of LIFE} recently posted..HIIT RunningMy Profile