Puppy-somnia

by Brittany on September 18, 2011

There’s just something about Sunday mornings that gets me smiling :)

If you didn’t catch my post on blog spam, make sure that you check it out! And here I thought that I was the only one getting comments from “Hot shot bald cop”. I guess he’s not a one woman kind of guy…

Last night, I woke up twice to the cries of my lonely little boy. Will & I are trying to train Popcorn to be content with sleeping on the floor, but he always seems to get scared in the middle of the night and starts to whimper.

IMG_3735-1

He has it made with both a crate and a doggie bed to sleep in, but prefers to bundle up with Will’s clothes inside his bag underneath my bed. Last night we made sure to close the bag, and even though it had only been 2 nights of bag-sleeping, Popcorn was having withdrawals.

Oh you human mommies, I do not know how you do it!

Breakfast:

This morning, I was more than excited to wake up to an empty jar of Sunbutter. As I confessed in this week’s Things I’m Loving post, this nut butter has been absolutely owning my palate. Needless to say, it was time to end this little jar with a bang.

Because of one scary toxic oats-in-a-jar experience over the summer, I was very careful about letting the hot cereal cool for a solid 5 minutes before transferring them to the container. Crisis part 2 averted 8)

Sunbutter oats

Into the Mix:

• 1/2 cup spelt flakes
  • 1 Tbsp chia seeds (using chia seed method)
  • 1 Tbsp Hemp protein powder
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1 sliced banana
  • Blueberries
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg
  • Vanilla Extract
  • Stevia
  • Topped with a blob of PB & Co. chocolate peanut butter

spelt in a jar

Oats Spelt in a Jar, you will never get old.

The spelt flakes didn’t seem to thicken in the jar the same way that my usual oats do. It might have something to do with the fact that the dry spelt flakes are noticeably tougher than oat flakes. But hey, whether the jar was overflowing or not, it was still foodgasm worthy in my book ;)

Today, Will & I are heading out to try a new church for the first time! We still haven’t found a perfect fit up here yet, but I have a feeling that it’s right under our noses Fingers crossed

A bit to think about: If you have pets, do you ever let them sleep in bed with you?

Any thoughts about spelt vs. oats?

Sweet and Savvy September 18, 2011 at 7:51 am

I am DROOLING over Your breakfast over here! It looks soooo good:)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 18, 2011 at 7:54 am

Yum! I have yet to try sunbutter….I need to! I have never had spelt flaked before either :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Summery Still Dessert FridayMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 18, 2011 at 8:19 am

Our pug always sleeps with us! I think I made him sleep in his crate the first few weeks I had him, but he hasn’t done that for years now!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Summertime SmoothieMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 8:40 am

I’ve heard of a lot of owners that do that! Does he bother you at night at all?

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 18, 2011 at 12:36 pm

No, not at all! Usually he lays by our feet!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Summertime SmoothieMy Profile

Lori Lynn September 18, 2011 at 9:12 am

I have two cats, and have tried to let them sleep with me, but they keep waking me up, so I said “no more!” Now they, paw and meow at my door in the mornings, wanting to be fed! I moved over a year and a half ago to a new area, and am still trying to find a church. I left a really wonderful church before, so it’s been hard trying to find a new one!
Lori Lynn recently posted..Straight Hair and Tomato SoupMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

It’s tough to find a replacement, but Will and I loved the one we went to today! Best of luck to you finding yours!
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Rainbow ProneMy Profile

fittingbackin September 18, 2011 at 9:16 am

This post came at such a great time for me! We’ve been talking about migrating Reuben and Remy from sleeping in our bed to sleeping on the floor and I’m nervous about it! I worry i’ll be back and forth, they’ll keep us up all night, etc. Keep us posted on how it goes! That pupper pic is so cute btw!
fittingbackin recently posted..Meal Plan "Monday", Relaxing WeekendMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Oh please keep me posted on that too! I need all the help I can get. Popcorn is not liking being alone on the floor in the least
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Rainbow ProneMy Profile

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 18, 2011 at 9:19 am

Toxic oats in a jar?! I’ll have to check out that post!

I had a kitty when I was younger who slept on my bed, especially as she got older. I don’t think my boyfriend would be too impressed now!
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Barley SaladMy Profile

Laura @ Special Treats September 18, 2011 at 9:21 am

Both of our dogs sleep with us. Sometimes we’re ok with it, sometimes we get grossed out by the fact that 2 dogs sleep in our bed. haha. We are thinking of breaking this habit, but it’ll be hard for the dogs. We both can do it though! I do have to say that it is nice in the winter when we all are snuggled up together…summer…not so much. :)
Laura @ Special Treats recently posted..Lazy SaturdayMy Profile

Jody September 18, 2011 at 10:05 am

It may be the smell of Will/you Popcorn finds comforting when he crawls into Will’s bag. Try putting a old just worn tee shirt in Popcorn’s bed at night!

Laurie September 18, 2011 at 11:04 am

I have to admit that I’m a sucker to let my dog sleep with me (of course my husband don’t like it!). I can’t help it, I just couldn’t stand to hear him cry when he was a puppy! Now he is 5 years old and still sleeping with us! :). (its a hard habit to break). I think Popcorn just wants to get close to you and get that comfort feel when he was with the mommy dog.

Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle September 18, 2011 at 11:41 am

Popcorn is so freaking cute!! That picture is so adorable. When I first had my dog we had a pretty big box for her, but she would not sleep in it at all. She tried to get in bed with me and when she did she proceeded to land a number on my arm..so disgusting. We decided then she needed to be an outside dog.
Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle recently posted..An Afternoon Well SpentMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm

oh my GOSH that is gross haha
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Rainbow ProneMy Profile

Alexandra September 18, 2011 at 11:52 am

That breakfast sounds insanely good!! Daaannnnggg gurl! :) And popcorn is just overwhelmingly adorable in that outfit heehee
Alexandra recently posted..Easy Dinners and an ADD Cardio RoutineMy Profile

Julia {girls with a stethoscope} September 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Your bfast looks (and probably) tastes waaay better than mine :( haha. I’ve never tried spelt but maybe I should..I am kind of over the whole oatmeal kick

Your puppy is adorable!
Julia {girls with a stethoscope} recently posted..TTMMS – 4th EditionMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Thanks, Julia :)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Rainbow ProneMy Profile

Liz @ Something To Chew On September 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’m buying spelt for the first time today! I’m intrigued over which one I’ll like better…
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..What I’m Lovin’ WednesdayMy Profile

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter September 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm

SunButter is amazing..I actually haven’t had regular PB in a few months because I buy SunButter every week instead! Your oats look fantastic…I’m swimming in drool :P
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..seven things sunday- 3rd editionMy Profile

Lindsay@LivingLindsay September 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Sunbutter is SOOOOO good!!! I still haven’t tried spelt so I’m not much help with that :)
But I do have two fur-babies. We have two labs. One is perfectly content sleeping on his bed or on the floor. I think he is too lazy to jump up on the couch or our bed. BUT the other lab is just not content unless she is laying next to you or on top of you – literally. She is SUCH a snuggler and we just gave up because she is so persistent!! So now we just let her up on the couch. She’s so sweet :)
Lindsay@LivingLindsay recently posted..Panic and PancakesMy Profile

Pure2raw Twins September 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm

love the puppy picture. and that is one question Gary and I discuss when we ever get a dog – if it is allowed in bed. He says no and I am up in the air about it, sometimes I am like yes and other times I am no, I want my space haha
Pure2raw Twins recently posted..good timesMy Profile

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) September 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

ohhh my goodness!!! cutest doggie ever!
Allison (Allison’s Delicious Life) recently posted..‘Twas the night before the GRE…My Profile

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 18, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Your breakfast looks awesome! And poor Popcorn…CJ cried for several nights, and I didn’t know cats could cry that loud haha. As for animals sleeping in the bed- I like them to if they are little, as long as they don’t pee/poop anywhere in the middle of the night haha
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Wine and Dine – Grad School StyleMy Profile

Lindsay Loves Veggies September 18, 2011 at 6:46 pm

We originally tried to get Arlo to sleep in a crate, but gave it up after a couple days. Having a tiny puppy cuddling in your bed is so fun and cozy!
Lindsay Loves Veggies recently posted..Vegan Creamy Zucchini SoupMy Profile

Molly September 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm

my puppy named Scout is a poodle and (when I have him) he sleeps with me every night! :) he doesn’t shed and bathes often so I don’t mind :)
Molly recently posted..#WINNING! {winner winner faux chicken dinner}My Profile

Nikki September 19, 2011 at 10:35 am

When we trained Geno to sleep alone, he cried for a week or two but eventually he got over it!! He is perfectly content on being alone at nights now!
Nikki recently posted..Cycle for LifeMy Profile