Sleepy Weepy

by Brittany on September 17, 2011

Good morning & happy weekend Hot smile

Did you catch Popcorn’s first walk yesterday? I’m so glad you guys are enjoying his little adventures as he learns how to live in a doggie-world. It’s only been a week since I brought him home, but the little guy has already nudged himself right up against my heart.

Breakfast:

Good news, I actually woke up past 7:00 AM this morning! It was actually at 7:04 but hey, I’ll take it.

The best part about waking up after the sun? Natural lighting :D

toast and bacon

2 slices Ener-G toast slathered in Sunbutter and a sliced banana with turkey bacon.

breakfast food

Sleep Talk:

If you’re a regular around here at Itty Bits, you’ve probably picked up on the fact that I tend to wake up at insane hours. I’m talking the occasional 4:30 AM, MAYBE even 4:15.

The funny part is that I haven’t always had such a dysfunctional body clock. My freshman year of college I remember having a semi-normal “college student” schedule– heading to sleep around 2:00- 3:00 AM, and waking up around 11:00 AM or noon.

As soon as I moved off campus and into an apartment, my sleeping habits immediately reversed. Now if I want to stay up past 11:00 PM, I need to make a conscious effort to ensure that I’m well-rested and ready to keep myself awake. With early bed times, came the earlier wake up calls. A vicious cycle, eh? Waking up early does give me the extra morning time to get things done though, and I usually am more awake towards the earlier part of my day, so that’s a good thing :)

A bit to think about: Your turn– What time do you usually wake up? Do you have a dysfunctional sleep schedule sometimes like I do?

Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice September 17, 2011 at 9:36 am

Brittany, we are so much alike on this one! I had poor sleeping habits in uni, but now I’m an early bird (and I love it!)

Remember when you drank the coffee when you were planning to go see the movie (but actually ended up getting Popcorn)? Well, I do the same thing when I need to stay up past 11!
Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice recently posted..Canada Army Run & My First GiveawayMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 9:44 am

Haha I’m SO glad I’m not the only one, Jayme :D

Seriously, Will cracks up at me every time I go “okay we’re going out late? Let me make some coffee.”

Sweet and Savvy September 17, 2011 at 9:36 am

I have a dysfunctional sleep schedule too! I go to sleep semi early, Then almost always wake up around 2 Or 3, can’t sleep for a while, then Really wake up between 7 or 8.

Brittany @ RunWithBritt September 17, 2011 at 10:26 am

I’m such a grandma as well! I find myself ready for bed by 10 and waking up around 6. My roommate woke up at 9 yesterday and asked how long I slept in. My answer: until 6:45 without an alarm! I was so excited haha.
Brittany @ RunWithBritt recently posted..Holy Cannoli, 17 Miles!My Profile

Kat September 17, 2011 at 10:29 am

I have horrid sleep apnea, so my sleep schedule is pretty bad. I usually hit the hay around 930, simply because it takes me an hour or two to just fall asleep. I tend to wake up at least once to go to the bathroom, and then REGARDLESS of what time I went to bed or what I have to do in the morning, I am ALWAYS up before 7. I cant even tell you the last time I stayed in bed past then.
Kat recently posted..Husband-less weekendMy Profile

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 17, 2011 at 10:34 am

I usually get up at 6.30 during the week and around 9 at the weekend. I’m totally with you on getting sleepy early – I really can’t go past 11pm or so without getting very snoozy!
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Barley SaladMy Profile

Kris | iheartwellness.com September 17, 2011 at 11:01 am

I usually wake up at 7 or 7:30 everyday….I cold totally sleep longer, but choose to wake my butt up so I can get stuff done!! LOL!

I love popcorn ;)

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Get Ready for Fall – Pumpkin Pie OatmealMy Profile

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking September 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

You are not alone waking up at the crack o’ dawn! I love to get up early too. Ok not 4:30am early, but if I’ve had enough rest, my day is so much better if I feel like I didn’t sleep the day away. Currently, I get up around 7 or 8am. I know, that’s really not early. But, since I’ve been staying up ’til 11pm or so, my workouts suffer if I don’t get atleast 7 hours of sleep.
Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking recently posted..Barnes and Noble and Five Fun FactsMy Profile

Julia {girls with a stethoscope} September 17, 2011 at 11:24 am

Hi Brittany – I am so glad I found your blog! It’s super cute and love all the food pictures – can’t wait to read more!

I cant believe someone wakes up as early as I do! All my friends think I am CRAZY bc I wake up at like 5 am! I feel like if I wake up any later, I am wasting my day haha
Julia {girls with a stethoscope} recently posted..TTMMS – 4th EditionMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 11:57 am

Hey Julia! Thanks for stopping by– I love new readers :)

And no, you are DEFINITELY not alone haha
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Sleepy WeepyMy Profile

Alexandra September 17, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I too wake up at ungodly hours on occasion haha but most of the time I wake up around 5:30 or 6 everyday. I can’t even remember the last time I slept past 7! ;)
Alexandra recently posted..Easy Dinners and an ADD Cardio RoutineMy Profile

Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze September 17, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I wake up at around 7:30 every day (but next week I’m going to be forced to wake up at 6:30 every day)! I can’t imagine getting up at 4:30.. my mom does that and she’s really productive… i think I would just be cranky. This morning I slept till 9:30 (haven’t done that in forever!) but I was up until 2:30. yikes. unlike me.
Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze recently posted..Playlist + Workout Of The WeekMy Profile

Steph @ A Hungry Bookworm September 17, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I feel better knowing I’m not the only one who wakes up way earlier than the sun. I am always up by at least 5;30, usually earlier, and there is no way I can stay up past 10:30 without major caffeine assistance.
Steph @ A Hungry Bookworm recently posted..I Have ConfidenceMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Haha I’m glad to know that I’M not alone :D

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission September 17, 2011 at 1:46 pm

My internal alarm clock wakes me up at the weirdest times too! I’ll wake up at 5 sometimes then need a major caffeine dose around noon to stay awake.
PS, so happy you found my blog because now I found yours!
And we’re the same age, so you’re automatically awesome. Exploring your blog now! :)
Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission recently posted..She’s All About the CountryMy Profile

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter September 17, 2011 at 2:07 pm

My internal alarm clock is different on different days :P On Saturdays I wake up at 7:30 on the dot. But, during the week i’m usually up at 6:30 ish. (But, with school now, I have to be up at 6:20 or 5:20 (ewwwww :P )

I love getting up early anyways- I feel like I get a lot more done!
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..beastlyMy Profile

Haley Q September 17, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I WISH I could wake up that early and get stuff done! I mean, there’s no way you could get distracted cause nobody else in town is awake. I usually get up around 6, which everyone thinks is so crazy. Not crazy compared to 4!
Haley Q recently posted..Joy & HealingMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 17, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I wake up at 5:05 on weekdays. I’m usually tired though, & not bounding out of bed… unfortunately for me! On the weekends I usually wake up between 7:00 & 7:30.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: gopicnicMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 3:51 pm

haha why 5:05 and not 5:00?
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Have You Checked Your Spam Box Lately?My Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Those 5 minutes really make me feel better! ;-)

Kristin September 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I wish I could wake up that early on my own! If Dave didn’t wake me up before leaving for work in the morning I’d probably sleep till about 11!

I do agree with you though, the earlier I’m up the more awake I feel! And Popcorn is ADORABLE! Take so many photos and videos, because before you know it he’ll be all grown up.
Kristin recently posted..Excuse me, would you like to be my running BFF?My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Thanks Kristin! I’m trying to document him as much as possible while he’s an itty baby

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun September 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm

My natural wakeup time is about 5:30, so of course, I have to go to bed around 9:30 if I want a good sleep. If I stay up any later, I’m a mess. I can’t believe back in college, I would go to bed at 2:30 a.m. on the weekend and be at work by 7:00 a.m. There is no way I could do that now!
Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun recently posted..Fashion Friday – Lululemon Om ScarfMy Profile

Maren September 17, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Your blog makes me want turkey bacon!!! I haven’t had it in forever and suddenly my craving is ignited.
Maren recently posted..I spoil my Nikon baby.My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Go get it, Maren!

Chels September 17, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I wake up pretty early at 4:30am on the weekdays, on Saturdays I usually sleep in until around 7 and on Sundays, who knows…depends how late I am out. Saturday night is usually my social night so getting to bed by 10 never happens.