Kyoto Sushi & Grill

by Brittany on September 17, 2011

I should enter myself into a vegetable-eating contest.

I’m not kidding—I’ve been known to down many-a-veggies in one sitting, whether it be at a restaurant, in my own home, or at a dinner party (yes, table manners and all.) People misinterpret my plates and plates of veggies as a diet, but they couldn’t be farther from the truth (fyi, veggies have carbs too!)

The truth is that I truly, deeply, love vegetables.

Tell that to the 5-year old me that lived on white rice & cookies ;)

Tonight was no exception. Will & I met his dad at Kyoto, a Japanese Hibachi-style restaurant near UCF. The style of the restaurant was very unique—you ordered, got a number to put on your table, sat down while your hibachi was made (not in front of you), and then it was served to your table!

I started with a ginger salad,

Kyoto ginger salad

a miso soup,

Kyoto miso soup

two pieces of a dragon roll that Will & I “shared” (which really, he devoured before I could even get down my 2nd piece),

Kyoto dragon roll

(Will’s dad wanted me to get his Bud Light in the sushi photo)

kyoto beer

and can you guess what’s coming next?

Did you say plate of veggies? Yes, please.

kyoto salmon and veggies

I got the hibachi salmon, but subbed out my noodles and rice for piles and piles of veggies.

IMG_4026

Am I crazy? Maybe.

Do I embrace it? You bet your bottom dollar I do ;)

Overall, Kyoto was pretty awesome. It’s hibachi food without the show or the hefty price tag. Winner, winner, cheap(er) hibachi dinner!

A bit to think about: Do you typically ask for a lot of substitutions when dining out, or do you take it as it comes?

Haley @ Health Freak College Girl September 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm

i ask for a ton of substitutions when going out to eat. i know it’s a pain for the waiters, but i will be soo much happier if i get the food the way i want. it drives my family crazy sometimes but oh well :)
Haley @ Health Freak College Girl recently posted..Attune Probiotic Granola MunchMy Profile

Lindsay@LivingLindsay September 17, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I ALWAYS ask for veggies in place of rice. I’m not really a big rice fan and would much rather have extra veggies. We sometimes go to “On The Border” a tex-mex type restaurant (similar to Chili’s). They have a relatively healthy chicken dish there that comes with grilled veggies and rice. I skip the rice and get double grilled veggies and it’s the best!!! I also ask for regular tortillas in place of the tortilla chips. I still get to dip into the salsa and munch like everyone else, but without all of the grease and guilt. :)
Lindsay@LivingLindsay recently posted..Swanson’s Goodies!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm

We have an On The Border by us but I haven’t been in so long, I don’t even remember what it was like. But UM your tortilla idea is freaking AMAZING Lindsay! Thank you so much for that tip! I’m notorious for downing my fair share of chips haha
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Kyoto Sushi & GrillMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 17, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I don’t ask for substitutions that often. It has to be something I’m really not feelin’ for me to ask for something different!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Summertime SmoothieMy Profile

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog September 17, 2011 at 9:23 pm

That salmon looks delicious! I don’t usually ask for substitution because I don’t want to be a pain, but if there is something that I don’t really like (like blue cheese-I hate them) then I would ask them to replace it with something else.
Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog recently posted..Fall is in the airMy Profile

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking September 17, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Don’t you just LOVE the ginger dressing they put on the salads at sushi places? It’s so tasty!

Your dinner looks delicious, I’m jealous!
Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking recently posted..A Cold Snap Calls for Lasagna MargheriteMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 7:02 am

YES. I actually bought some at the store the other day that tastes VERY similar! The brand is Makoto (I think..)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Puppy-somniaMy Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 17, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Mmmmm! That all seems like a winner, winner kind of dinner! … Will’s Dad’s Bud Light and all!
I would totally give you a run for your money in a veggie eating contest!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Playground knowledge….My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 7:02 am

It’s on, Julie ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Puppy-somniaMy Profile

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I always ask for double veg when out! Bahah I definetly am a veggie beast :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Summery Still Dessert FridayMy Profile

Molly September 17, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I’m a total food sub. girl. I try not to be TOO “high maintenance” though because I don’t want to be overly obnoxious for the waiters. :/ I tend to ask them to just not include things (cheese on salad, croutons, etc) which I feel might even be easier than putting it on there! :) (at least that’s how i justify it!)
Molly recently posted..Best Sushi EVER!My Profile

Maren September 17, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I’m big on the substitutions. Especially since I go through phases of eating dairy free and I’m now required to eat gluten free. I’m a high maintenance eater now…
Maren recently posted..Glow sticks can be real excitingMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 7:03 am

It just makes us all the more special :)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Puppy-somniaMy Profile

Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry September 18, 2011 at 12:03 am

That food looks AMAZING. I love hibachi sushi restaurants. I think I love them the most because you are just eating the entire time, since the miso soup and salad tends to come right away.
I am also a bottomless veggie pit :)

I always sub fries for salad, but other than that I’m not a big subber. I definitely ask the servers not to include things though (like a previous commenter said, no croutons, cheese, creamy dressings on the side, etc)
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Busy but HealthyMy Profile

Baking N Books September 18, 2011 at 12:28 am

I’m pretty sure I would beat you in a veggie-eating contest. Hands down ;) I’ve never had Sushi! I love fish….but never ventured into the “raw” side…
Baking N Books recently posted..What Do You Need To Hear Today?My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 7:04 am

You should try sushi! There are a lot of cooked options that you can pick from– I’m not a huge raw fan myself. The roll that Will & I ordered here was made with tempura (fried) shrimp!
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Puppy-somniaMy Profile

Kristin September 18, 2011 at 4:31 am

Yum! Every time we’re in the Orlando area Dave demands we visit Kobe Steakhouse and they always loooooad my plate up with veggies. I love the looks on everyone’s faces around me with their little steak piles on their plates and my tower of vegetables.

There’s another place that sounds similar to Kyoto on 17-92 near Winter Park Village, it’s called Hibachi Express and it’s about 1/2 the price of normal Hibachi and so so good. You should give them a try sometime!
Kristin recently posted..Excuse me, would you like to be my running BFF?My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 7:06 am

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU! I’m always looking for cheap Hibachi so that is awesome :)

Oh and about Kobe– I LOVE how they pile you with veggies! I’ve only been once but I seriously had enough veggies to feed an army of rabbits.

Sarah (everydaysapicnic) September 18, 2011 at 6:56 am

I don’t generally ask for too many substitutions when I go out, but sometimes I will ask for potatoes rather than fries.
I’ve always loved veggies, so my parents were very lucky! I could probably give you a run for your money in a veggie eating contest!
Sarah (everydaysapicnic) recently posted..The End of a Busy WeekMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 7:06 am

Haha, you’re on!
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Puppy-somniaMy Profile

Emma @ Microcosm of Life September 18, 2011 at 9:11 am

Girl, I am a full-fledged veggie addict. No matter how many vegetables I buy at the grocery store, they seem to be gone within 3 days. And if they’re roasted? Forget about it…I will eat the whole pan.

Veggie lovers UNITE!
Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..Get Her to the GreekMy Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 18, 2011 at 11:13 am

I try not to ask for substitutions at nicer restaurants because I want to try the dish as the chef intended but at middle of the road places I’m more likely to make requests…especially if something comes with american cheese. Blech. I love that this place doesn’t make you sit through the show! I’ll have to try it!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Shine Neighborhood KitchenMy Profile

Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run September 18, 2011 at 11:30 am

Is that the place that used to be Boston Market? I’ve been meaning to check that out. You’re food looks awesome! Maybe I’ll order that.
Ok, why do I think your in Orlando sometimes and then Miami othertimes. WHERE ARE YOU? hee
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..A Day at Universal StudiosMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Haha! YES It is where the Boston Market was (and the sketchy empty gas station)

And I’m here in Orlando! I’m back in school for the semester, so I’m here pretty permanently :D

Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs September 18, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Kyoto is right across from my work! I haven’t gone yet – I was waiting to hear if it was decent or not. Now I know I’ll have to check it out!!

I don’t typically ask for substitutions, but I DO ask for stuff on the side. A LOT.
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..2 + 7 + 3 = 20My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm

YES! You have to try it– They have some awesome lunch specials too if you’re ever able to escape the office!

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) September 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Oh my gosh that looks so good!!! Stir fried asian veggies are the best. Why do they taste so good?! I wouldn’t ever think of making that substitution but I might do that next time.
Allison (Allison’s Delicious Life) recently posted..‘Twas the night before the GRE…My Profile

CNC Plasma Cutters February 18, 2014 at 9:15 am

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as
you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blkg website?
The account aided me a apppropriate deal. I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast prtovided bright transparent concept
CNC Plasma Cutters recently posted..CNC Plasma CuttersMy Profile