Walkabout

by Brittany on September 16, 2011

For those of you who are not dog lovers, I am so so sorry.

For those of you who are, you are so so welcome.

Today, Popcorn went for his very first walk :)—But before we get to that, and because I had a recipe post up this afternoon instead of my usual lunch munch, let’s flash back for a moment, shall we?

Workout & Lunch:

Yoga mat puppy

Today I did a 40 minute yoga video on Yoga Zone’s Hulu station. For any yogis out there who are having trouble finding a good video site online, I highly recommend this Hulu channel! They have a limited amount of videos, but all of them are free and focus on a wide variety of target zones. Check it out ;)

Lunch was a beast! Romaine lettuce, leftover ghetto salmon from yesterday, avocado, carrots, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and ginger dressing.

salad beast

Harness Shopping:

Because Popcorn is so tiny and he doesn’t fit into an “extra-small” sized collar yet, today Will & I set out to find him a harness for his little puppy body. As usual, all of the people in Pet Smart went bonkers over him & his little social butterfly disposition.

But the social butterfly was not having the harness at all—or at least not the red one. I guess I don’t know a doggie fashion “no-no” when I see it :(

IMG_3995

Finally, we managed to find a green harness that Popcorn agreed was suitable for his fur-tone, and we were off for his very first little walk.

IMG_4000

I really don’t think Popcorn understands the whole concept of “being walked” so well—He seemed pretty convinced that he was freely running around with an invisible force holding him back.We made it a solid 20 feet of zig-zagging down the sidewalk before Popcorn started to pant and it was time to turn back. It’s about baby steps here, people!

Dinner:

Winner, winner, roasted dinner!

roasted bean veggie salad

I roasted some sliced honey gold potatoes, zucchini, and onion, then tossed the mixture together with some kidney beans and chickpeas. With a little dash of salt and pepper this meal was done in 20 minutes flat!

Oh how I miss mixing different kinds of beans together in meals—someone remind me to do this more often?

roasted veggies beans

Will is in the kitchen assembling his very own hibachi dinner, and after he’s done we’re heading over to his dad’s for some quality father-son time. (I’ll be playing the role of 3rd wheel ;))

Have a good night!

A bit to think about: Which do you prefer, kidney beans or chickpeas?

Got any dog-walking advice to offer? :D

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 16, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Awww Popcorn is so cute!! I think just getting him out there and trying to walk him is great, I’m sure he’ll eventually figure it out!

STUFT Mama September 16, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Pocorn is adorable! :) Sorry, no dog walking advice here. :) My dog is a BEAST! ha! Those roasted veggies looks amazing! :) I might have to copy you!
STUFT Mama recently posted..Flat Kitty Friday- Safari BummerMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 9:25 am

Haha beast dog? Oh my!

JennKnee September 16, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Your food makes me HUNGRY! It must be supper time! I’m definitely a chick pea fan…but between chickpeas, kidney beans..oh and black beans…errmm and green beans…practically any bean EXCEPT for lima beans. I love beans.

Popcorn is perfect :) It makes me miss my old man dog who I had to leave at home while at school. Just keep teaching him to listen to you – to heal and not let him walk YOU while you are training him ;) he will grow up to be a fine doggy!

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 9:26 am

Thank you :) I hope he turns out like the good puppy I know he is

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 16, 2011 at 8:38 pm

EEE! so cute! Dinner looked fab to btw :)

Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice September 16, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I’ve recently started incorporating kidney beans and chic peas into my meals – I like them both lots!

I can’t get enough of your Popcorn pics! Honestly, this has got to be one of the cutest pups.
Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice recently posted..Friday to Sunday recap (the important stuff)My Profile

Brittany September 16, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I love mixing beans! I like both beans. Black are my favorite but I like black and kidney hot and I like chickpeas cold on salads :) Just keep walking popcorn and he’ll get the hang of it. It’ll come naturally! He’ll want to smell everything and eventually pee on everything. Haha My puppy gets SO excited for his walks. It’s his favorite!
Brittany recently posted..Going Darker and Whole FoodsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 9:27 am

Thank you Brittany! I hope Popcorn and I get to that level haha

Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin' September 17, 2011 at 12:10 am

Popcorn is so cute! Yay for his first walk! Hopefully he starts to learn how to walk soon! My grandmas dog still does the same thing and it’s around 3 years old now..it’s like walking a butterfly in the breeze. lol And I lovee chickpeas!
Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin’ recently posted..Love Grown Granola review finale!My Profile

Maren September 17, 2011 at 3:09 am

Popcorn is so cute! He’ll be walking blocks in no time.

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 9:28 am

I have my fingers crossed! haha

Sarah (everydaysapicnic) September 17, 2011 at 7:52 am

I love chickpeas every time! The roasted veggies look absolutely delicious – I think I might have to have that combo at some point over the weekend.
Well done Popcorn on his first walk :-) He’s so tiny, I’m not surprised that he couldn’t get too far yet.
Sarah (everydaysapicnic) recently posted..Being OrganisedMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 17, 2011 at 9:10 am

Aw he is such a sweetie!

Since I adopted my pug, he was pretty good at walking when I got him. I do think it just takes practice before they get the hang of it!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: gopicnicMy Profile

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas September 17, 2011 at 9:17 am

Popcorn is too precious! My only advice is be patient! :) As for beans, gah, too difficult to pick-but-I do have to say chickpeas make a better hummus, but by themselves, I like kidney beans more
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..How Do You Stack Up?My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 9:29 am

Thanks Jess :D

Laural @ Being Healthier September 17, 2011 at 9:27 am

aw Popcorn! so stinkin cute! I like that you refer to yourself as ” this invisible force…” . too funny. I wish I could have a dog, I would have a pug. I am hoping to find an allergy research trial or something to get rid of these allergies!

Sam September 17, 2011 at 9:29 am

ooooh popcorn cuteness OVERLOAD!!! loove. So cute about the doggy fashion ;) Your dinner looks SO goood…remind ME to make something like that!
Sam recently posted..Increasing Weights & owl loveMy Profile

Laural @ Being Healthier September 17, 2011 at 9:29 am

omg- just thought I’d share my excitment bc I know you’d understand- I haven’t see my bf in 13 days – I get to see him in 3 days- 2 nights for a whole week!!! We are meeting in San Diego and touring Napa Valley.. I CAN’T WAIT! :-D
Laural @ Being Healthier recently posted..Creating SpaceMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 17, 2011 at 9:29 am

That’s AWESOME Laural! Enjoy your time together :D

Pure2raw Twins September 17, 2011 at 10:43 am

Popcorn is soooo cute! Love the doggy harness! I love doggy pictures, I do not have a dog but I hope to one day!!!
And chickpeas all the way!
Pure2raw Twins recently posted..creamy cashew creamMy Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 17, 2011 at 10:48 am

I’m a chickpeas person! Popcorn will learn. My dog still gets super excited on walks and will zig zag at first. Once he’s a little older and stronger he’ll be able to go further.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Shine Neighborhood KitchenMy Profile

Emma @ Microcosm of Life September 17, 2011 at 10:48 am

Yoga on Hulu? I would have never thought to look there, but that is so cool to know!

Can I just say that Popcorn keeps getting cuter and cuter? A tiny harness…so precious. Maybe eventually he’ll learn what “going on a walk” means, hahaha.

Avocado makes salads sooooo good. Mmmmmmm!
Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..Frugal Friday: First EditionMy Profile

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun September 17, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Do I have to choose…I love them both :) Right now, I’m eating a quinoa salad with chickpeas AND kidney beans. YUM!
Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun recently posted..Fashion Friday – Lululemon Om ScarfMy Profile

Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run September 18, 2011 at 11:31 am

OMG! Look at him all curled up in your arms! Soooooo cute!
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..A Day at Universal StudiosMy Profile

Smitty September 19, 2011 at 1:12 am

Hi — new reader! I thought this looked wonderful, and making it myself confirms the theory! Great dish, love the beans … thanks for the inspiration. :D

Itty Bits of Balance September 19, 2011 at 7:28 am

Awesome! I’m so glad you enjoyed :D
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Rainbow ProneMy Profile

Nikki September 19, 2011 at 10:30 am

How freaking adorable is Popcorn??? And thanks for the Hulu suggestion! I would have never thought to look there for workouts!
Nikki recently posted..Cycle for LifeMy Profile