A few months ago when I discovered that I had developed an intolerance to egg-whites, most of my favorite patty & pancake-type recipes were the first to go down the drain. Fortunately, as I’ve come to learn with cooking– there is always a solution
I created these egg-less latkes (or potato pancakes) last night on a whim and was pretty stoked when they came out great. Not only have they been vegan-ized, but I also health-ified the recipe too. Enjoy!
Yield: 4 small pancakes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup of potatoes shredded with vegetable peeler or cheese grater (I used honey gold potatoes)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp ground flax
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Spray
1. First, create flax egg by combining ground flax and water in a small bowl and stirring. Allow flax egg to sit for about 3 minutes, and continue to stir throughout.
2. In another bowl, combine shredded potato with onion, pepper, and salt.
3. Pour flax egg into potato and onion bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Spray skillet with cooking spray and set to medium heat. Drop mixture by tablespoon onto skillet, and flatten with spatula. Allow latke to cook for 5-7 minutes or until brown. Flip and cook other side.
5. Serve with applesauce, ketchup, or any other desired toppings. Enjoy!
A bit to think about: What is your favorite patty or pancake-type recipe?