Cheerio Brothers

by Brittany on September 16, 2011

It’s no secret—I love my cereal. Plate

However, things haven’t always been this fine and dandy between the two of us. I actually used to be a cereal hater and had a hard time understanding why people loved it or how they could be satisfied by eating a bowl of little pieces of grain. For me, a “good breakfast” would’ve meant a filling slab of French toast or a big, fluffy pancake.

Slowly but surely, as I began to discover different toppings and varieties, cereal found it’s way into my heart :D Not that breakfast CANT mean any of those other delicious options, but a hearty bowl of cereal has become one of my favorite & most-loved staples.

I’ve had this box sitting in my pantry for the past few months, and it wasn’t until this morning when I noticed my empty Erewhon crispy brown rice stash that I decided to break it open.

Natures' Path Whole O's

I saw Whole O’s at Publix plenty of times before I finally decided to give in and make the purchase. Gluten-free Cheerio shaped cereal? Yes please.

Whole O's Nutrition

Although it’s a pet peeve of mine when cereal servings are less than 1 cup in size. I mean, come on—who wants to have less than a CUP of cereal, let alone a few bowls-worth ;)

Whole O's Cereal

I poured 1 cup (yeah, that’s right) into a bowl and noticed immediately that the Whole O’s looked & tasted very similar to their Cheerio-brothers.

Whole O's Breakfast

I topped my bowl with blueberries, a sliced banana, Stevia, and some almond milk,

IMG_3950-1

served it alongside some turkey bacon, per usual,

IMG_3956

& a Christmas cup o’ joe.

Even at 5:00 AM, Popcorn was all dressed up & ready for breakfast..

IMG_3954-1

but unlucky for him, he wasn’t on the guest list 8)

A bit to think about: Are you a cereal-for-breakfast lover or hater?

Sweet and Savvy September 16, 2011 at 7:31 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who uses Christmas mugs at many other time during the year!:)
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Things I’m Loving ThursdayMy Profile

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 16, 2011 at 7:38 am

Love the Christmas mug! I definetly have all mine out all year-round :)

Laura @ Special Treats September 16, 2011 at 8:06 am

I am a serious cereal LOVER. Eating a bowl right now :) My only problem is that I have probably about 3 servings of cereal almost every morning. haha. I go way over the serving size, lol. Oh well, they say you should eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Queen and Dinner like a Princess….welp…there’s my Kingly breakfast. haha :) Have a great weekend!
Laura @ Special Treats recently posted..The web is what you make of itMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 16, 2011 at 11:55 am

Haha! You keep eating that cereal ;) Breakfast like a king is RIGHT

thehealthyapron September 16, 2011 at 8:12 am

I go through spurts. SOme weeks ALL I want is cereal, other weeks I like protein pancakes or French toast…just depends on my mood!
thehealthyapron recently posted..Finally Friday!My Profile

Brittany @ RunWithBritt September 16, 2011 at 8:13 am

I love cereal way to much :) I have this thing where I have to add a little extra cereal to my bowl because I can’t let the extra milk go to waste. haha. I need to bust out my Christmas mug, I can’t wait for the holiday season.
Brittany @ RunWithBritt recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday #2My Profile

Leashieloo September 16, 2011 at 8:29 am

All of your turkey bacon has had me craving some lately!
Leashieloo recently posted..UpswingsMy Profile

Lindsay @ biking before bed September 16, 2011 at 8:51 am

I am a huge cereal fan. I don’t know how you can only eat one cup! I love mixing different cereals together.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Thankful on ThursdayMy Profile

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking September 16, 2011 at 9:00 am

Popcorn is and always will be SO dang adorable. Why is it that dogs act the same no matter what hour of the day it is? They have the same amount of energy at 3am as they do 3pm. So jealous, ha.

I’m not much of a cereal for breakfast person because it usually leaves me too hungry after an hour, but for snack or dinner-yes please!
Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking recently posted..Barnes and Noble and Five Fun FactsMy Profile

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense September 16, 2011 at 9:15 am

Ooooh I love that cereal but it’s been a long time since I’ve bought it!! I don’t like cereals with small serving sizes either. Seriously who eats 1/2 cup of cereal?!!
Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense recently posted..Favorite Things FridayMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 16, 2011 at 11:56 am

Someone with a freaking MICRO STOMACH!

Kat September 16, 2011 at 9:35 am

I really love cereal, but I usually only eat it for a meal on days I want a light breakfast. An hour after I eat it I am usually starving! (unless I eat half the box of course!)
Kat recently posted..Chocolate Cheesecake Pudding PieMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It September 16, 2011 at 9:52 am

I love it, but I have to beef it up the way you did with fruit and nuts and seeds and all of those other goodies!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Breaking 100My Profile

Lyndsie September 16, 2011 at 9:52 am

I love cereal. I actually eat if for snacks too. I try not to eat super sugary cereals so I really like Kashi.
Lyndsie recently posted..Friday Food Fix: Fourth EditionMy Profile

Brittany September 16, 2011 at 10:04 am

Absolutely love cereal. I could eat it for lunch and dinner too. I like to make combos of different ones instead of just one cereal at a time! Kashi, Quaker Oatmeal Squares, and PB Puffins are my favorite :)

Cait @ Cait hates Cake September 16, 2011 at 10:45 am

Seriously, your puppy is so frickin’ adorable!!! And I agree – 2/3 of a cup? Who eats a bowl of cereal that little? Not even my 1 year old niece. I’m pretty sure most of my bowls of cereal are like 2 cups ;)
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Piloxing & Puppy BusinessMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Haha I’m SO glad I’m not the only one!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 16, 2011 at 11:26 am

We use Christmas mugs all year round over here. They’re the biggest ones and my caffeine doesn’t discriminate. ;)
No matter what the cereal serving size says, I always have at least a cup. 1/2, 2/3? come on..who listens to that?
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Anniversary almond apple cakeMy Profile

Kiah September 16, 2011 at 11:42 am

I’m sorry, all I got from this post was that you were up at 5am?!! Girl, you ARE crazy!

And I actually do have something to say about the post. My husband eats the *bad* kind of cereal, but I dream of transitioning into something more like what you’ve got here :-)
Kiah recently posted..jumping into FallMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I know!! My body clock is crazy!
And don’t worry– I’m workin on Will and his Fruity Pebbles too ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Cheerio BrothersMy Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 16, 2011 at 11:54 am

I’m not really a cereal person in the morning. When I want some, it’s usually consumed out of the box in a handful. Classy, I know.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..EmpanadasMy Profile

Maren September 16, 2011 at 11:55 am

I definitely eat cereal. Don’t get between me and my box of cinnamon chex! And I’m always really upset about cereals that are less than a 1 cup serving. It’s just not natural.
Maren recently posted..I pulled out my hair and ate puddingMy Profile

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 16, 2011 at 11:59 am

I like cereal but I never think of eating it. I buy a box and it stays in my cabinets for months. My sister on the other hand can eat a whole box at one sitting!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..The Daily Snapshot – My "Hugh Jass Salad"My Profile

Alexandra September 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Nom nom nom! Cereal is the booommmbb :D I love it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with all of the varieties out there, it never seems to get old!
Have a grand weekend m’dear!
Alexandra recently posted..Easy Dinners and an ADD Cardio RoutineMy Profile

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter September 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm

ohhh I hate it when serving sizes are less than a cup! I need (and eat) a full one cup serving of cereal every morning. I refuse to downsize it :P
Popcorn is so adorable!!
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..ran overMy Profile

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 16, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I have a love-hate relationship with cereal. I love it, and it gives me a lot of joy. However, I never get full and I always eat about 3xs the serving size!
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Sweeeet Friday PostMy Profile

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I’ve actually never been a huge cereal girl….mainly because I don’t drink milk. I love eating plain Cap’n Crunch though!!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Comment on Running and My Inner Yogi by Khushboo ThadaniMy Profile

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 16, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Hmm I’m not sure why it says that is what I recently posted…silly internet.
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Austin City Limits Music Festival!!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 16, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Haha no worries– this thing goes bizzerk sometimes!

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) September 16, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I actually like to eat cereal for dessert (if it is a sweet one). Eating it in the morning just doesn’t fill me up at ALL!
Allison (Allison’s Delicious Life) recently posted..Say, "CHEEESE!"My Profile

Shannon September 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Im deff a cereal for breakfast fan! I love cereal and can finish a whole box in two days ;) Cheerios are some of my favorite!
Shannon recently posted..The Noodles in my LunchMy Profile

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race September 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Aw…little Popcorn makes me so happy :D
Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..Early BirdMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I like cereal, but I don’t eat it too often. I usually have an English muffin because it’s portable & I can take it into work with me!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Experiments with “Boatmeal”My Profile

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I love cereal but it doesn’t fill me up for breakfast! I usually eat it as my after dinner/before bed snack :)

Lauren September 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm

After discovering I have a gluten sensitivity this summer, I’ve become such a cereal lover! Envirokidz panda puffs + erewhon cereals are my favorite.
Lauren recently posted..PSA: SunscreenMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 16, 2011 at 7:32 pm

mmmm Erewhon is great!
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..WalkaboutMy Profile

Emma @ Microcosm of Life September 16, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I can do cereal for breakfast sometimes, but it can’t be with just milk. If I mix it with yogurt or cottage cheese, I am good to go. I know milk has protein, but liquid just won’t fill me!

I can never say no to some Golden Grahams or Honey Bunches of Oats :) I’d rather eat them as a snack!
Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..Frugal Friday: First EditionMy Profile