Bag of Popcorn

by Brittany on September 12, 2011

It’s official…

Puppy in purse

I have become “that girl” with the dog in her purse.

On the day that we first got Popcorn, I carried him in my arms around Walmart and as we were checking out, the manager approached us and said that animals couldn’t be in the store because it was a “safety hazard.” Luckily we were already on our way out because they decided to let it slide.

Today, Will & I had to make a quick stop at Publix to pick up some fruit & veggies and we didn’t want to leave poor little Popcorn alone in his crate for such a short errand (Plus, I’m trying to avoid as many poop-covered puppy episodes as possible.)

The solution? We put the little rascal in my purse.

Popcorn in purse

At first he was really confused and thought we were zipping him up into a straightjacket. After a few minutes, he settled himself in and seemed to be soothed by the whole rocking motion of my swinging bag. My own little fur baby in his own little cradle :D

Needless to say, on the way back he was zonked out.

Me and popcorn

The same thing happened at Publix though, we were approached at the checkout and told that animals weren’t allowed in the store :(

My roommate told me that there is apparently some way to get your dog certified so that you can carry them around in public places.. is this true!? I’d love to enjoy my bag of popcorn everywhere!

Dinner:

I finally made it through an entire bag of my BOGO honey gold potatoes! One down, one to go ;)

Salmon potatoes string beans

I marinated a fillet of salmon in 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 packet of Truvia, and pepper for 20 minutes, then cooked it on the stovetop for about 7 minutes.

salmon soy sauce

Served with some roasted honey gold potatoes,

roasted honey gold potatoes

and roasted string beans (both on 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.)

roasted string beans

Foodgasmic :)

I’m about to make my pre-salsa class cup of coffee (because lets get real, we all know I’m not staying up past 8:00 without assistance.) Let’s see if there are any more creepers in class tonight. Fingers crossed

Have a great night!

A bit to think about: Be honest, do you think its ridiculous when people (gender-neutral) carry dogs in their purses?

Do you know anything about certifying dogs so that you can bring them out in public settings?

Faith @ For the Health of It September 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I have to be honest, I’ve never gotten the whole “dog in bag” thing…but then again, that may be because I can’t even begin to wrap my mind around the idea of my humongo dog in a purse. It would literally take a potato sack…or maybe two stitched together. I understand the not wanting to leave him thing though – it does get easier with time though!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Four Extra HoursMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 12, 2011 at 7:34 pm

HAHA! I’m sure there’s hope for you– you’d be surprised how desperate people are to bring their dogs everywhere they go
Perfect example. myself. ;)

Katie (Sunny Side Up) September 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Popcorn is ADORABLE (and incidentally, one of my fave foods)! I have never really understood needing to bring an adult dog in a bag with you, but I do understand puppies. I have a combined 200lbs of dogs though, so it has never really been an option!

I am a giant fan of them being dressed up for halloween though!
Katie (Sunny Side Up) recently posted..Meadow LakeMy Profile

Mer @mersworld September 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I know that there are some public places that post that they are dog friendly in Boston, but I think that most don’t allow our furry friends! We have greyhounds, so I’ve never had the chance to even consider carrying my dogs in my purse! Popcorn sure looked cute though!
Mer @mersworld recently posted..Healthy Living Tips- Weigh in MondayMy Profile

Jessica September 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm

How cute is Popcorn? I’ve never got the dog in a bag thing that goes on but I’ve never really been into small dogs (or ones that are so small they can fit in a bag). I’m more of a Labrador, Retriever etc type a person! Looks like Popcorn enjoyed the ride and trip in the bag though which is all that matters! :-)

Liz @ Something To Chew On September 12, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Okay Popcorn just doesn’t stop being cute for me. Loving the pictures of him!! But really, I’ve never really got the “puppy in purse” thing. Maybe that’s just me…
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..Recipe and ReviewMy Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 12, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I think I’d be scared to ruin my purse lol. But I do sometimes wish I had a small dog. I could never hide Parko.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..9/11/11My Profile

Mallory @ It's Only Life September 12, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I think if it’s comfortable for the dog, who cares what ppl think!

You definitely fit the stereotype well though, not gonna lie. You have a dog in your purse AND you’re cute & blonde. Haha! :)
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Munchkin MondayMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Aw poor Popcorn is getting turned down left & right!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sweet & Sour PorkMy Profile

Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart September 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Aww popcorn is too cute! Why not put your dog in your purse?! (as long as the dog doesnt mind) I would love to carry my dog in my purse…but I don’t think a 45 pound basset hound would fit! :)
Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart recently posted..Greek FoodMy Profile

Jordan September 12, 2011 at 8:47 pm

hahaha oh my gosh SOOO cute!!! that is seriously the most adorable thing ever. i’d totally put him in my purse :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I think it’s fine when people do that, but there’s no way Niko would stay in my purse. My friend actually has a purse just for her dog called a paw purse! It’s pretty cute:)
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Finding My Tea TimeMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 13, 2011 at 7:33 am

Anddddd I’m on my way to check that out RIGHT now haha. Thanks Paige :)

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas September 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I don’t think it is ridiculous at all! I love my dog and would carry him with me everywhere if I could! :) I think it all depends on the animal – puppy – too cute, snake – get away from me! lol
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Cupcake SaturdayMy Profile

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter September 12, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Popcorn is so flippin cute!!! I’ve never been able to wrap my head around carrying a dog in a purse, but hey! It works and they’re out of the way :P You know where there at at all times! :D
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..Hot ‘n’ ColdMy Profile

Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs September 12, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Popcorn is so cute!

That said – I totally get why they wouldn’t want animals in the stores. It’s really a liability for them because, sadly, people sue over anything these days!!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Pinterest MondayMy Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 12, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Aw! …. I have NO idea about the whole registration thing but I do think if I were I clerk, I couldn’t say no to those puppy dog eyes…
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Fun Facts!My Profile

Hannah @ Mindrunningwild September 12, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Usually I’d say “wow that’s so silly looking!” but holy wow popcorn is SO CUTE!!! I almost want his face (her face?) poking out of my bag!
another cute thing in this post? those potatoes. I had to scour your text to see what they were after looking at the photo first. How tiny are those?
Hannah @ Mindrunningwild recently posted..Serving you some Fact-OsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 13, 2011 at 7:48 am

Haha awww thank you! Yes, Popcorn is a “he” :D

The potatoes are slowly becoming one of my favorite meal additions! They were a random buy one get one free purchase at Publix, and they are SO tiny! Probably the size of quarters

Baking N Books September 12, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I had salmon tonight has well. Unfortunately I also had about a pound of Reese’ pieces after it…ugh :(

I am lovin’ the new site look – it so suits your personality! (P.S has anyone ever told you that you look like Jordan on “Big Brother” – except a smaller version :) ).
Baking N Books recently posted..Just Watch It. TV.My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 13, 2011 at 7:35 am

Now THAT is my kind of dessert ;)

And YES! I have actually been told that a few times! I love Jordan’s personality, so I’m fine with that (not that personality has anything to do with me looking like her, but still haha)

Molly September 12, 2011 at 11:44 pm

i love taking my dog with me! But like you- when in Whole Foods and other stores I had people tell me pets weren’t allowed– but I swear.. in more pet-friendly cities (aka NYC & LA) people take their dogs everywhere!
Molly recently posted..Sometimes I just feel bad for my parents…My Profile

breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 September 13, 2011 at 12:03 am

New reader here! I found you through Gina and I look forward to reading your blog!
However, I have to comment on the “dog not allowed in Publix” thing, because I used to work for Publix (cashier). First off, having any kind of animal in the store that is not a service dog can be considered a health violation. The store could get written up and fined for that. (Service dogs are only for people with legitimate disabilities…)
Also, on a more personal note, I am severely allergic to most dogs and cats. I had a lot…A LOT…of people came in with their little dogs in their purses/dog carriers/strollers (yes, someone came in with a carrier in a stroller) and attempt to pay for their groceries. I didn’t have to see the dogs to know they were there, because my nose would clog, my throat would dry up, and my eyes would itch. I know dog owners don’t like the “no pets in the store” rule, but as someone who is allergic, I really appreciate it. Just a view from the other side…
breakingsilence @ Freshman -15 recently posted..This week’s workout playlistMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 13, 2011 at 7:41 am

Hey! I love new readers :) Thanks for popping in!

Yeah, I totally understand about the dog allergies in public, and I’m sorry that you had to go through that as a cashier. I’m actually mildly allergic to dog dander too (but not nearly as badly as you are) and thankfully Popcorn is hypoallergenic. Not that I’m saying that is any excuse to bring him around where he shouldn’t be haha, so no worries. Are you still a cashier and having to deal with those situations?

P.S. Strollers? REALLY?

P.S.S. Love the Hillsong mentions on your blog :D

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 13, 2011 at 5:24 am

Girl it’s so common here to have dogs in purses I don’t even notice! They are in Nordstrom in the dressing room next to me, in Neiman Marcus, in the groc store, on the patios of restaurants, you name it, there are dogs EVERYWHERE here.

It’s San Diego and the area I live in is very…alternative… and there are so many adorably dressed dogs here that have wardrobes FAR MORE fabulous than mine! Or Skylar’s. And they are often toted around in Louis Vuitton purses. It’s.Everywhere.
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..Dark ChocolateMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 13, 2011 at 7:41 am

It sounds like I need to seriously consider a cross-country move ;)

Mimi September 13, 2011 at 8:30 am

What a cutie! Dogs are seriously the best — and I say that while my dog’s trying to stick her face on my laptop keyboard. She loves attention. (:
Mimi recently posted..The Great Grocery ReformationMy Profile

nikki September 13, 2011 at 11:26 am

Haha… uhmm… I am not a dog in a purse kind of person, but I also have a huge golden retriever. Buddy is amazing, but an outdoor farm dog.

How do you prevent a puppy from peeing in your purse? That alone would scare me!
nikki recently posted..Gremlins don’t like Veggie LasagnaMy Profile