Fruity Cereal Intervention

by Brittany on September 10, 2011

Happy weekend! 8)

We’re already a third of the way through September! Where has the time gone?

This morning I woke up and was overjoyed to see that it was time to open a new cereal box! As a cereal lover, it is a requirement that I impose cereal regulations on my box-opening so that I don’t end up with shelves full of open cereals that all just happen to go bad at once (and possibly even become infested with bugs.)

It was only a week ago that the generous folks at Attune Foods sent me two boxes of their Gluten-free Erewhon cereal to try, and I’ve been practically counting down the days until it was time to open the mixed berry flavor.

(See my first review of Gluten Free Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal here)

Well, today was that day 8)

Erewhon Mixed Berry Cereal

I will admit, I’ve never been the biggest fan of fruity cereals. Maybe it’s partly due to a childhood full of sugar-coated Fruit Loops and Fruity Pebbles, but I’ve never been one to pick a fruit flavor over a plain one.

This Erewhon Mixed Berry Brown Rice cereal was a completely different ball game. Not only is this baby low fat, organic and gluten free, but Attune Foods prides themselves on their use of pure, non-GMO ingredients, no artificial sweeteners and no refined flours or sugars. Plus, check out this baller ingredient list!

Erewhon Mixed Berry Cereal Ingredients

I was immediately impressed by the fact that the dried fruit actually looked like REAL fruit and not some fake outline of an apple or bushel of grapes.

Erewhon Mixed Berry Cereal Handful

Erewhon Mixed Berry Cereal Bowl

I poured 1 cup of the cereal into a bowl and also took note of how gracious Attune Foods was with the amount of berries that they loaded into the box! Lots of real fruit? Count me in :D

Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal with Banana

I topped the cereal with a 1/2 of a sliced banana, added some almond milk, and prepared to dig in.

Mixed Berry Cereal with milk

The verdict? I just may have converted to the fruity side! I couldn’t get over the fact that I was actually looking forward to the spoonfuls with the dried pieces of fruit! Yet again, great job Attune Foods ;)

**Note: Although Attune Foods did provide me with a sample of the product to review, the thoughts & opinions expressed in this post are completely my own.**

Do you even have to ask? Of course I had some turkey bacon on the side :D

bacon

A bit to think about: Are you a fruity cereal fan?

Did you ever eat Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles as a kid?

Sweet and Savvy September 10, 2011 at 7:12 am

That’s a lot of fruit in one cereal box!!:) I’ve never been a big cereal With fruit. Fan. I don’t really like anything That has processed fruit, but this looks great!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 10, 2011 at 7:20 am

I love fruity cereal! I love all cereal actually, but I don’t have it too often. Like so many others, if I start eating cereal I can’t stop, so I try to stay away. :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..A Surprise Day OffMy Profile

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner September 10, 2011 at 7:55 am

I am obsessed with cereal. This one looks great. Have a fab weekend :)
Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner recently posted..Fall Marathon Training Plan ReviewsMy Profile

Brittany @ RunWithBritt September 10, 2011 at 7:59 am

When I was growing up I was a huge fruity pebble fan. I could easily eat a box for dinner if I really wanted to….looking back I can’t believe my Mom let me get them! A 4th grader doesn’t have very good judgement ;)

That cereal looks delicious! I hope you have a good weekend!
Brittany @ RunWithBritt recently posted..Green Monster Vegan Overnight OatsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 10, 2011 at 8:51 am

Haha don’t worry– my 4th grader self would have been lucky to even get FAKE fruit in her

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 10, 2011 at 8:23 am

My parents did not allow the typical “kid” cereals in our house growing up. And still won’t buy them…. I legit was raised on oatmeal and eggs for breakfast hahahaha! I do love fruity cereals though, when I put the fruit in them :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Short, Simple Gluten Free FridayMy Profile

Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 10, 2011 at 8:31 am

I don’t mind fruity cereals, but I usually go for the ones that are honey/cinnamon/plain flavored. Maybe this cereal would convert me too, because it sure does look tasty :) I remember eating Fruit Loops on occasion as a child, but my favorites were Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Corn Pops, and Frosted Mini Wheats. I did like Lucky Charms, though… do the marshmallows count as fruity? :lol:
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... reunited, and it feels so good .My Profile

Alexandra September 10, 2011 at 8:37 am

That cereal looks good! I’m a huge fan of fruity cereals, especially kashi strawberries fields :) And heck ya to fruity pebbles and fruit loops! Good times as a kid, good times 8)
Have a great weekend!
Alexandra recently posted..Sponge skeletons, Stress, and Sunflower slimeMy Profile

Emma @ Microcosm of Life September 10, 2011 at 8:59 am

Fruity cereals with real pieces of fruit in them are definitely on a different level than fruit-flavored cereals. Your rule of only opening one box at a time is very smart…my cereal always goes stale if there are too many boxes open! Same goes for different bread products (which I try to prevent by freezing them) or crackers/chips. I should start buying those little cereal boxes, haha!
Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..A Sticky SituationMy Profile

Haley Q September 10, 2011 at 9:12 am

I’m not a fruity cereal person either! It’d be hard to convince me otherwise :D
Haley Q recently posted..Sunsets & Mr. SnowmanMy Profile

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 10, 2011 at 9:56 am

It looks like Rice Krispies! We don’t have those cereal brands in Ireland but I did have Fruit Loops when I spent a summer in the US – a bit artificial tasting!
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Pork and Peppers RisottoMy Profile

christina cadden September 10, 2011 at 10:28 am

mm, that looks good! I just bought my first gluten free rice crackers and love them!!!
christina cadden recently posted..First Week BackMy Profile

MirandaK @ Miranda's Munchies September 10, 2011 at 11:08 am

I haven’t been a really big cereal fan until recently, but now I enjoy a bowl every couple of days!
We use to have fruit loops when I was a kid, but then the cousin of your oat infestation surprised us one morning (note: it was a WORM!) and we never ate it afterwards. Instead, it was Capt’n Crunch (occasionally the berry kind!).
MirandaK @ Miranda’s Munchies recently posted..Tea, Tea, Tea! Part 2My Profile

Kris | iheartwellness.com September 10, 2011 at 11:50 am

WOW!!!!! I’m sitting here with Michelle saying we need to go to the States so we can find this glorious cereal!! We’ve never seen this up here in Vancouver!!

YUM and Gluten Free = Perfection!!

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Salsa Chickpea SaladMy Profile

Julia September 10, 2011 at 11:53 am

I’ve never liked fruity cereals, but I know Attune Foods has other flavors of crispy brown rice cereal that look good…
Julia recently posted..DFF (Dorm food fridayyyy)My Profile

Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog September 10, 2011 at 11:55 am

I have always loved eating Fruit Loops as a child. It is a childhood favorite of mine. I do enjoy eating fruity cereals as long as it’s not processed. I typically prefer real fruits topping in my cereals though like fresh strawberry and banana.
Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog recently posted..5 Facts About MeMy Profile

Sarah (everydaysapicnic) September 10, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I love dried fruit in my cereal! If it hasn’t got it in I usually add it :-)
Sarah (everydaysapicnic) recently posted..The Pros and Cons of Running with a ClubMy Profile

nikki September 10, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Brittany I love the new header!!

As for cereal as long as it is freeze-dried fruit I like it… not so much into the mystery nuggets :P
nikki recently posted..All Wrapped up!My Profile

Lindsay@bikingbeforebed September 10, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I was never a fruity cereal fan. Probably because my mom would never buy it for me and beat into my head how awful it was lol. My favorite cereal growing up was Great Grains… hands down.
Lindsay@bikingbeforebed recently posted..Very Berry Stuffed French ToastMy Profile

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter September 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm

(LOVE your new header by the way!!)
I used to eat Fruity Pebbles all the time as a kid. ahhh the good ol’ days when I was clueless about nutrition ;)
That cereal looks really good! I want a lot of fruit too!! :D
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..choking on paperMy Profile

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food September 10, 2011 at 2:03 pm

That looks awesome and those ingredients make me happy! I rarely buy fruit cereal because, like you said, the fruit doesn’t look, feel, or taste real, but this cereal looks like it would definitely be good!
Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food recently posted..Row, Row, Row Your Boat…My Profile

Steph @ StephSnacks September 10, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I definitely like some fruity cereal but I’m honestly not the biggest dried fruit in my cereal fan.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Cascadian Farm WinnerMy Profile