Cereal For Dinner

by Brittany on September 7, 2011

It happens to the best of us.

Sometimes, it’s just time to sit back and have a big bowl of cereal for dinner.Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal Dinner

When preparing meals, I usually have a vague idea of what my body is craving before I even step foot in the kitchen. Tonight’s mindset was far away from a big bowl of roasted veggies or a fillet of savory salmon. All that I could think about was a big & fruity bowl of cereal.

I have to eat like a real college student sometimes, right?

Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal Dinner

Into the Mix: 1 1/2 cup Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal, Chobani Greek yogurt, a diced gala apple, almond milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Hit. The. Spot.

Remember the good news I had yesterday about finally starting the novel Night for class? Well, I take that good news back because I apparently spent a good portion of my evening reading the wrong novel. Whoops 8)

I misread the schedule and was supposed to be reading another book called On Liberty– Night wasn’t meant to be started for another two weeks or so.

Now that’s what I call being a thorough student ;)

I’m off to tackle my new book, so I’ll leave you with this photo of Will & I awkwardly playing croquet the week before we started “talking”

Will Me Croquet

…We can only guess what he’s looking at…

Have a good night!

A bit to think about: Have you ever had cereal for dinner?

Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I’m having one of those nights where nothing savory really appeals to me. No idea what I’ll end up having for dinner, but a bowl of cereal is sounding mighty tempting… I used to be able to eat cereal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and while it’s been a while since I’ve done that, I see nothing wrong with going the breakfast for dinner route. Oooo, on that note, pancakes sound mighty tempting too….
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... she’s alive! .My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Oo! I wish I had thought of oatmeal pancakes! There’s always tomorrow night :D

Jennie September 7, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Oh hell yes! When you hae a craving you have to follow it! I love a bowl of branny cereal with fried fruit and chocolate for dinner somethimes :) haaa that photo is a good one!
Jennie recently posted..30 Day (Throat) ShredMy Profile

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health September 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I’ve totally had cereal for dinner…sometimes, it’s the only thing that sounds good! That’s so unfortunate about the book mishap! But, once you do have to read Night you’ll have time to do other things :)
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Walk it OutMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm

That’s very true Lindsay! I knew I could count on you to be my positive conscious ;)

Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle September 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I may have cereal for dinner tonight too. I just want something cold to eat and I have no ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Bianca @A Healthy Gourmet Lifestyle recently posted..I Didn’t Know What I was Missing Out OnMy Profile

Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese September 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Breakfast for dinner is always fun once in a while… especially when its pancakes ;)
Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese recently posted..Goodbye Summer + DC.My Profile

Katie September 7, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Cereal for dinner is a winner!!!

I do this sometimes too, I actually might be doing this soon with the move, its easy to eat that!
Katie recently posted..Adele, Pedicure, and Hot { Bar }My Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I have most definitely had cereal for dinner before. Or oatmeal. Or peanut butter and jelly. Sometimes it just sounds good, and sometimes it’s EASY! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Happy Birthday to me!My Profile

Laural @ Being Healthier September 7, 2011 at 7:45 pm

i totally have eaten cereal for dinner- it happens to us all for sure!
I might go get some right now for dinner because I’m about to chew my arm off im so hungry! :)
Laural @ Being Healthier recently posted..Labor DayMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I say go for it ;)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate September 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm

The Erewhon cereal is so good isn’t it?
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..My Favorite Running SongsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Yas. I have the mixed berry flavor in my cupboard that I’m too excited to try!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm

If anyone says they haven’t had cereal for dinner, they’re lying! ;-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Water is RisingMy Profile

Liz @ Something To Chew On September 7, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I love cereal for supper! Some days, cooking is just NOT going to fly :)
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..What I’m Lovin’ WednesdayMy Profile

Jordan September 7, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I often crave cereal for dinner! Sometimes nothings hits the spot better than ice cold cereal or piping hot oatmeal at night :) I love that you mixed yogurt and milk in your cereal. I do that all the time and it’s FANTASTIC!

Kathryn @ Flopoodle September 7, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Thank you for posting that pic. I just burst out laughing on my conference call and realized I wasn’t on mute!!! errr….
Kathryn @ Flopoodle recently posted..Carrot Ginger MuffinsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 8, 2011 at 7:59 am

Haha! I’m glad you enjoyed it as much as I did

Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run September 7, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I knew it! All those veggies today made you want carbs. Cereal is pretty much the most awesome dinner ever. I really miss Frosted Flakes. A big heaping bowl of no-nutritional value Frosted Flakes. Yum. :-)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..There Will Be RunningMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 8, 2011 at 8:00 am

Look at you, Paula! Predicting my classy cereal dinner ;)

I was more of a Reeses Puffs girl myself– those babies are like CANDY!

Ali September 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Hi!
I just started reading your blog a short while ago. I’m wondering…is it unusual that your started school early or is this common in the states? i’m only wondering because today was my first day back for the semester and hearing you talk about homework makes me a little sad lol

Itty Bits of Balance September 8, 2011 at 8:02 am

Hey Ali!
Usually colleges in the the states (or at least in Florida) start in August. We’ve only been in session for about 3 weeks, so you’re not too far behind!

Laura @ Special Treat's September 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I have cereal for dinner once in a while, too! I loooove cereal!! In fact, I didn’t have dinner planned tonight for the hubs and I, so I was going to resort to cereal but instead decided on grilled turkey, avocado and cheese sammies :) yum!

Mallory @ It's Only Life September 7, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I love having cereal for dinner! Tonight I had a bowl of oats and nut butter and it totally hit the spot! Apparently my salt tooth is kicking in though, because I’m currently munching on kettle corn. haha.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Elliptical vs. TreadmillMy Profile

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 7, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Yum! I haven’t had cereal for dinner for a while! I think breakfast foods should definitely be allowed for all meals.
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Haircut Trumps RunMy Profile

RunEatRepeat September 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Cereal is good breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks!!!

Nikki September 7, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I had cereal for dinner tonight too! And breakfast…I guess I just really wanted some cereal today! And at least you are ahead of the game in class now ;)!
Nikki recently posted..Productivity DayMy Profile

Tessa @ Amazing Asset September 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I am reading your blog and eating cereal for dinner :) This is not a joke haha… so good sometimes!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..An Actual WIAWMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 8, 2011 at 8:03 am

Haha I’m glad I’m not alone!

Faith @ For the Health of It September 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Wait…you mean to suggest that cereal *isnt* a standard dinner? If it’s okay for breakfast, it’s okay for supper in my book!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Chocolate Zucchini Bread OatsMy Profile

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking September 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Haha I’m so glad we’re in the same boat! Eating like a ‘real’ college student every once in a while is totally necessary!! :)
Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking recently posted..Grocery Staples and EXCITING NewsMy Profile

Lindsay@LivingLindsay September 7, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Cereal for dinner is the best! If my hubby was okay with it, I would “make” cereal for dinner everyday. :)
Lindsay@LivingLindsay recently posted..My Baby is a Big BoyMy Profile

Lindsay@bikingbeforebed September 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Cereal is definitely a college staple… do I see some Raman and easy mac in your future? :)
Lindsay@bikingbeforebed recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday… Round 1!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 8, 2011 at 8:04 am

Uh oh, don’t jinx me! haha ;)

Molly September 8, 2011 at 12:23 am

i have definitely had cereal for dinner. I’m a big fan of breakfast any time during the day!

Alisa September 8, 2011 at 12:24 am

Oh how I wish I could get away with cereal for dinner! that actually looks really good. I’ve been doing the Erewhon cereals (in the a.m.) with banana and cinnamon.
Alisa recently posted..Marvelous Honey-Mango MuffinsMy Profile

Kathleen September 8, 2011 at 5:53 am

Cereal for dinner is totally legitimate!! Also for lunch. And breakfast. And the occasional late night movie snack ;) Croquet always reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. I’d love to try it, wouldn’t have a clue how to play though!
Kathleen recently posted..A heart decision.My Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 8, 2011 at 6:38 am

My boyfriend loves any excuse for breakfast for dinner. Whenever I don’t have a dinner planned, that’s his go to!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..BruisedMy Profile

Allie Q (Fit Geek) September 8, 2011 at 10:23 am

Cereal is good at any time of the day. I really love cereal…the combination of flavors and textures make it so satisfying. I try to stay away from it though because I have trouble eating just one bowl!
Allie Q (Fit Geek) recently posted..Farewell, JavaMy Profile

Cait @ Cait hates Cake September 8, 2011 at 10:30 am

I have cereal for dinner at least once or twice a month. Sometimes that’s just all I am craving. Other times I only have 2 minutes to eat and cereal is darn quick and easy.
PS. That pic is hilarious.
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Pizza, Yogurt, Spa, Love.My Profile

Rachel September 8, 2011 at 11:07 am

i have cereal for dinner all the time! it’s easy and delicious!
Rachel recently posted..rain rain rainMy Profile

Heidi Nicole September 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Cereal is acceptable for every meal! The Husband refuses to eat pancakes or eggs for any meal but breakfast but doesn’t bat an eye at Cheerios for dinner…silly man!
Heidi Nicole recently posted..Fall-ish Weather = Fast-ish RunsMy Profile

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola September 8, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Sometimes breakfast for dinner just woulds like the most appealing thing!! Bummer about reading the wrong book! But at least you will be ahead of the curve when it comes time to read Night!! And that picture of you and Will is fantastic! :)

Leashieloo September 10, 2011 at 12:14 am

Cereal for dinner is actually one of my favorite low-stress meals. Sooo good, quick, and easy to make! And I am CRACKING UP at that photo of you and Will. You guys are so adorable together!
Leashieloo recently posted..Lots of Catching UpMy Profile