Oat Infestation

by Brittany on September 5, 2011

Good morning :)

For your viewing pleasure, I bring to you the first ever Itty Bits music video starring R Kelly, Will, and myself. Enjoy!

Dinner:

Last night before heading out, I threw together a roasted chickpea, broccoli, sweet potato and onion salad for dinner.

All I did was salt & pepper the veggies, roast them on a greased baking sheet for 20 minutes on 450 degrees Fahrenheit, and sprinkle with nutritional yeast when they were finished. Perfection :)

fun 007

If you asked me what my ideal meal would look like, it would probably consist of some form of veggie concoction like the one pictured above. I literally can eat servings on top of servings of veggies and love every second of it. Will & I were laughing at the fact that this could’ve easily been a serving of vegetables for an entire family dinner, but instead it was just for little ol’ me ;)

Breakfast:

**WARNING: DISTURBING PICTURES AHEAD**

Guess what I found in my giant tube of Quaker oats?

..I warned you..fer 003

Do I see what I think I see?

fer 004

Gross. gross. gross.

I’m really not one to be scared of insects, but bugs in my oats!? Come on guys, way to hit me where it hurts :(

The best part about this discovery was Will’s reaction:

Will: “Are those the oats you used to make my protein cookies?!”

Me: “No! I used the gluten-free ones for you”

Will: “Oh. Okay…….Wait, are those the oats I ate for oatmeal the other morning!?”

Me: “…. :D”

Once I threw out the tube of oats, took out the trash, and inspected all of my other boxes of grainy foods, I threw myself together a non-oat bowl of recovery cereal.

fun 009

1 cup Gluten-free Rice Krispies, sliced banana, blueberries and almond milk.

fun 011

Per usual, I also had some turkey bacon on the side.

Today is Will & my seven month-i-versary! We’re milking all of the month celebrations now because we realize that they will most likely become nonexistent once we hit 1 year. Hey, it happens ;)

See our previous month-i-versary posts here:

In honor of continuing the tradition of trying a new restaurant on each of our mini-celebrations, we’re hitting up some Mexican cuisine tonight (which just so happens to be my favorite cuisine. WOO!)

Have a great Monday! Especially if you have the day off ;) Toodles!

A bit to think about: Did you ever celebrate month-i-versaries with a significant other?

Have you ever found unwelcomed pests in your food?

meredith (pursuing balance) September 5, 2011 at 7:35 am

gross about the oats! that’s so disappointing too, to have to throw out all of that food. what is coming to mind right now though, is how other people in other circumstances would be grateful for any food, even if it was infested . . . we really are so incredibly blessed!
meredith (pursuing balance) recently posted..israelMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 8:39 am

That’s very true, Meredith! What a great perspective you have :)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Oat InfestationMy Profile

Brittany @ RunWithBritt September 5, 2011 at 7:39 am

Ohhh No! Not the oats! That’s so disappointing . Happy 7 months to you and Will!
Brittany @ RunWithBritt recently posted..Marathon Training Week 8 RecapMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 8:39 am

Thanks Brittany :)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Oat InfestationMy Profile

Alexandra September 5, 2011 at 7:41 am

Your dinner looks deeevine :) but the bugs?! I would’ve been wigging out! I’ve never found any bugs in food before, but one of my friends found a nasty grub worm in a twinkie. It still gives me shivers eww
Alexandra recently posted..Mondaaayy Kew and Aaaaa!My Profile

Sweet and Savvy September 5, 2011 at 7:43 am

Ew! ! That is no fun! :( at least your second try at breakfast looks great!

Oh.. And I’m the SAME way With veggies. I Love them so much:) no such thing as too many veggies! (My tummy may think so on occasion, but not me! Okay sorry. Tmi ) haha
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Girls Hate Their BodiesMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 8:40 am

HAHA! Story of my life
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Oat InfestationMy Profile

Emma @ Microcosm of Life September 5, 2011 at 7:58 am

Hahaha you are hilarious/adorable. I cracked up watching you guys!

On the other hand, UGHHHH. Bugs in oats? I’ve had experiences with little bugs in my bag of flour, which I promptly threw out. I’ve found bugs on lettuce too, but I guess that’s almost a good sign that it’s not dripping with pesticides?
Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..Avalanche!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 8:41 am

Actually, I found a dead little ant in my lettuce once and I was actually overjoyed because that meant less pesticides! (My roommate then proceeded to call me insane)

Oats apparently are a different story for me.. haha
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Oat InfestationMy Profile

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 5, 2011 at 7:59 am

That onion and potato salad looks great!! Bugs in oats?! ew….
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Tagged….times threeMy Profile

Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body September 5, 2011 at 8:31 am

Ewww, insect and oats are gross! I remember when I was a kid me and my friend opened canned soup, and when we were eating it we noticed…worm like things in one of the potatoes. We both almost threw up, even remembering it makes me feel queasy!

I am a total veggie monster too! My serving of veggies could also be for a whole family too!
Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body recently posted..History Repeats ItselfMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

THAT is disgusting!
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Oat InfestationMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 5, 2011 at 9:16 am

Love the video! Very cute! :-)

Eeek I would’ve totally FREAKED! Luckily, I’ve never found anything like that in my food before, but omg, I’d die!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Puppy PlaytimeMy Profile

Stephanie @ A Hungry Bookworm September 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

Haha I loved the video, you two were cracking me up!

Grossness on the bugs, I think I’ll have to go check my oats now, just to be safe.
Stephanie @ A Hungry Bookworm recently posted..Blog Mission StatementMy Profile

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense September 5, 2011 at 9:44 am

Happy monthiversary =) I remember those days and yes you should milk it!
You guys are too cute together!
I passed the butterfly award on 2 u today… <3
Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense recently posted..Big Smiles & A Butterfly AwardMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Aw thank you so much Lisa! I’ll head on over right now :D

Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze September 5, 2011 at 10:04 am

I love your music video haha! Great song.. I haven’t heard it in a long time, but it will be stuck in my head all day :) That’s pretty gross about your oats… that happened to my cornmeal once and I was totally grossed out… I freak out every time I open a bag of cornmeal now. ick!

Happy 7 month-iversary :) :) You guys are too stinkin cute…. my boyfriend and I never really celebrated months, but we just go out for dinner for the years… nothing crazy. Maybe once we’re not poor college students we’ll do more :)
Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze recently posted..A Grad Student’s WeekendMy Profile

christina cadden September 5, 2011 at 10:24 am

You guys are so cute!!! I would be sad if that happened to my oats as well.
christina cadden recently posted..First Week BackMy Profile

Brittany September 5, 2011 at 10:40 am

Oh no, what a bummer! I HATE finding bugs in food, sooo gross :(
I once was making a breakfast bread, with a LOT of ingredients, and mixed everything together poured it in the loaf pan and noticed bugs in the mix I had to throw everything out!
I am totally with you on eating tons of veggies and be satisfied. The best.
Funny video! :)

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 5, 2011 at 11:35 am

I found those little critters in my brown rice the other day!!!! I was mortified!
Happy 7 month anniversary! I used to celebrate month-iversaries, but after being in two 3-year relationships, I haven’t really thought about it!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Day of Firsts!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Haha that might explain it. My longest was 11 months so I’m still alll about the month celebrations ;)

Madeline (Food, Fitness, and Family) September 5, 2011 at 11:48 am

I’ve had that happen before – I switched to the air tight containers for my grains and it helps a lot!

I think I used to celebrate my 1-month and 6-month anniversaries when I was dating. I still try to sneak in our ‘dating’ anniversary but my hubs is smart and catches on haha
Madeline (Food, Fitness, and Family) recently posted..September GoalsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Oo thanks for the suggestion! I’ll have to try it out

Jordan September 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

haha you guys are too cute!! i have definitely found creepy things in my cereal before…not a fun experience!!
Ry and i totally celebrated monthiversaries :) they’re the best!
Jordan recently posted..Random ThoughtsMy Profile

Sarah (everydaysapicnic) September 5, 2011 at 12:00 pm

The boy and me celebrated our first anniversary, but we haven’t celebrated any others. I bet he doesn’t even have a clue when we got together! It’s not really an important part of our relationship – we show that we love each other in other ways. I like a good excuse for going out for a meal though :-)
Sarah (everydaysapicnic) recently posted..Seals and SaladMy Profile

Kat September 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

ahhhh!! I dont have too many issues with bugs, but bugs in my food?? I draw the line there!! ewww I would have been so grossed out lol
Kat recently posted..Sound Off MondayMy Profile

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter September 5, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I love that video of you and Will. HA! You guys are too funny. :P
Congrats on 7 months!!
&I cried for you with the oat infestation. :( Not a good way to start the day.
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..i love my bodyMy Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm

You crack me up with your video, girl. Brandon and I did our own little video … complete with “fist pumping” … in the car the other day. When Brittany Spears “Til the World Ends” comes on, Brandon becomes a whole new man haha! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Our new favorite chili!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

HAHA! This made me crack up! I would LOVE to see that video!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race September 5, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Eeeewwwww! Stupid bugs! That so not ideal. Bummer :(

I LOVE the video!! Too funny! :D
Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..A Rainy SundayMy Profile

Liz @ Something To Chew On September 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Ewwww! Stupid bugs! That is super sucky :(

My ex and I celebrated 1 month…and then 1, 2, and 3 years…but usually we would forget and then it was like “oh hey, yesterday was our 8 month-i-versary”.

Enjoy your day :)
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..Fill In The BlankMy Profile

Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin' September 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I eat enough veggies for a family too..it’s all good. :) Happy 7th monthiversary to you two! John and I used to celebrate all the months..well, tried to because we were usually never together for them. Sometimes we’ll throw in a 2 year and 4 monthiversary here and there though. ;)
Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin’ recently posted..The best cookies I’ve ever made: White chocolate biscoff cookies within cookiesMy Profile

Coco September 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I once found a huge moth in a bag of spinach….that I had eaten out of all week. It flew out!! I screamed so loud….it was gross!
Coco recently posted..Something to think aboutMy Profile

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun September 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm

OMG…bugs in your oats? NAS-TAY! Glad you saw it though! We don’t get bugs in our stuff here…it’s too cold here in the winter, that it kills EVERYTHING!
I think my hubby and I used to celebrate monthly anniversaries for our first year of dating. After the first year, it turned into yearly celebrations. Now, with 3 little kids, we’re lucky to have any celebrations ;)
Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun recently posted..Fashion Friday – Lululemon Camel Cargo PantMy Profile

Nikki September 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Yucky yucky bug!!!! But adorable video. I laughed out loud and my boyfriend’s mom thought I was nuts. Oh well, I think I actually am nuts, so it’s all good! :)
Nikki recently posted..Delaware Days!My Profile

Ally September 8, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I HATE weevils (I think that’s what they’re called at least). We get them in our oats and I always have to examine my oats before I use them to make sure we don’t have any.. I don’t know why/how they get there but it’s disgusting.