Men In Black

by Brittany on September 2, 2011

Good morning lovelies :D It’s Friday!

Yesterday, Will & I took a little trip to the place where dreams come true…

luncho 006

I grew up in a family that had a BJ’s membership but didn’t necessarily believe in buying things in bulk. Although I would make the occasional shopping trip with my father, the most I ever remember buying were paper towels and coffee grounds. For those of you who aren’t typically Costco-goers, I have news for you- we have been misled.

Costco had absolutely everything that I could ever dream of purchasing in bulk: from almond butter to salmon burgers, from shampoo to Orbit strawberry gum. I thought that I was walking into a fantasy land.luncho 005

(Will apparently thought that we were walking onto the set of Men in Black.)

men-in-black

I was so overwhelmed by the astounding quantity of food options that I couldn’t even decide on which items I wanted to buy in bulk. At first, I was walking around with a huge jar of almond butter and a 12 pack of Stride gum, but then I made the choice to wait and evaluate my food inventory at home before making any rash bulk buying decisions.

But Will did get a hot dog, so it wasn’t a complete loss ;)

luncho 008

Breakfast:

I naturally woke up this morning at 4:45 AM (yeah, I know) because my stomach was growling and practically eating itself. To resolve this issue, I quickly dug into a little package that showed up on my doorstep yesterday evening: Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal.

erewhon 018

Not only is this baby organic and gluten free, but the Attune Foods brand is recognized for their use of pure, non-GMO ingredients, no artificial sweeteners and no refined flours or sugars. The Crispy Brown Rice cereal is one of their five available gluten-free options, along with their mixed berries flavor (the other flavor that showed up in my package.) The nutritional stats are also very impressive:

erewhon 025

The cereal itself looked very similar to the gluten-free Rice Krispies that I love so much, however, upon pouring in my almond milk I could immediately tell that the Erewhon crispy brown rice cereal was of much greater quality. The crisps didn’t instantly turn to mush like other rice cereals that I’ve tried in the past—Score.

erewhon 031

I combined the cereal with some of my favorite toppings:

erewhon 034

1 cup Erewhon Crispy Gluten-Free Brown Rice Cereal, blueberries, banana slices, and unsweetened shredded coconut flakes.

The verdict? Definitely one of my new favorite crispy brown rice cereals. Attune Foods, you’ve outdone yourself with this one ;)

**Note: Although Attune Foods did provide me with a sample of the product to review, the thoughts & opinions expressed in this post are completely my own.**

erewhon 041

Per usual, I enjoyed my cereal with a side of turkey bacon ;)

Alrighty, I’m off to meet a friend for a spinning class—Toodles!

A bit to think about: Have you ever tried any Attune Foods products?

or

Are you a bulk-product buyer?

Alexandra September 2, 2011 at 7:57 am

I’ve never tried that cereal before, but if it tastes like rice krispies, I may have to buy some! :)
And I’m sooo jealous of your Costco membership, we don’t have any really close by, so we never got one. I hear it’s the mecca of all grocery stores though!! I’d prolly blow all my cash on massive nut butters haha ;) Hope you have a great Friday!
Alexandra recently posted..September Goals!My Profile

nicole @ simply Nicole September 2, 2011 at 8:00 am

You are totally right. I grew up with a family with used a BJ membership, but once I went into Cosco, I was like holey cow!
nicole @ simply Nicole recently posted..September goalsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 2, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Haha we were missing out!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 2, 2011 at 8:13 am

It’s hard for my to buy in bulk. I always get too much of things I don’t really need, and it will go bad or I’ll get sick of it before I use it all up. Plus my house is so tiny that I wouldn’t have anywhere to put it all!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..BosphorousMy Profile

Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze September 2, 2011 at 8:55 am

I used to go to costco all the time, but my mom got rid of her membership and I never got one (I don’t have a Costco near me). I miss it so much! I loved everything about that place! I even got my bed mattress there and i’m in love with it… ridiculous, right?!
Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze recently posted..Workout of the Week & Chicken SaladMy Profile

Jackie @ MomJovi September 2, 2011 at 9:06 am

Costco is my nirvana. Honestly, it’s my favorite store on the planet. Just wait until you start getting your clothes from there, too. There are some RIDICULOUSLY great deals on clothing. This week they have men’s Lucky jeans. I’m so made we just bought my husband three new pairs of jeans a few months ago.

When we go to Costco, our list always looks like this:
– Peanut Butter
– Milk
– Bread
– Fruit (fresh and frozen)
– Impulse buy

Yes, we put “impulse buy” on our list because there is ALWAYS something that one of us falls in love with!

Welcome to the Costco Fan Club!
Jackie @ MomJovi recently posted..She Be Illin’My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Haha yeah, I completely agree with you about the “impulse buy”. Mine just happened to be the 12 pack of Stride gum that I mentioned… ;)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables September 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

Haha I feel the exact same way about shiritaki noodles!!! And I like mine with Thai curry paste & broccoli. I feel like it works better with thicker sauces instead of marinara. You know?
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Friday FavoritesMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Yes! I agree completely. I always have to mix the noodles with veggies to make them more satisfying :D

Nikki September 2, 2011 at 9:14 am

We honestly don’t have any bulk shopping stores around here! I like buying things in bulk that don’t go bad quickly, but I can’t!!!!
Nikki recently posted..The Story of UsMy Profile

Lindsay @ biking before bed September 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

Every time I got into one of those bulk stores like Costco I feel so overwhelmed! I just want everything. And sometiems when you do the math… its not much cheaper than buying something on sale at the grocery store! I love going on “sample” days!
Does the Erewhon crispy brown rice cereal make the “Snap, crackle, pop” sound effects too?!
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Back to school back to school to prove to Dad that I’m not a fool!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Haha YES! They still snap, crackle, pop ;)

Lyndsie September 2, 2011 at 9:30 am

I would love to buy in bulk but the closest Cosco to us is about a 30 minute drive. I grew up with my parents buying everything they could in bulk. I can totally see the benefit. I wish there was a Cosco closer to me :(
Lyndsie recently posted..Friday Food Fix: Third EditionMy Profile

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 2, 2011 at 9:36 am

I’ve never tried Attune foods – don’t think they’re available in Ireland. Booo! :(

I love bulk buying! Only problem is where to store everything!
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Strawberries and Cream PorridgeMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It September 2, 2011 at 9:39 am

Are both of those shopping clubs membership-only like Sams? I love the bulk but its not worth it for me to have the membership just for the few jars of almond butter and clif bars i’d end up buying in bulk.
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Three Days, Zero GadgetsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Yeah they both are, just like Sams. Do you have a Sams membership?

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop September 2, 2011 at 10:00 am

I love Costco and there are two right by us. I haven’t gotten a membership yet because I can’t imagine anything that we would really need to buy in bulk. I miss it terribly though, I love that place!
Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop recently posted..Ode to Apples: Apple Oat BarsMy Profile

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 2, 2011 at 10:03 am

I buy my papergoods in bulk but I am so hesitant to buy food in bulk because I do not want to waste it and the boxes are usually so large that I have no where to store it!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Let There Be Light & A Simple Single Lady DinnerMy Profile

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 2, 2011 at 10:28 am

That cereal sounds fab! I have not even heard of that brand before. I have a pretty big family, so we almost always buy in bulk. We love our Costco ;)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Dessert Friday- Chocolate Pudding PieMy Profile

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense September 2, 2011 at 11:44 am

Love Attune Foods <3 I use the brown rice crisps all of the time in my krispy bars and in cereal!! I buy PB in bulk cause we are obsessed w/ PB in this house… love the organic PB from Costco!! =) Have a great weekend~~
Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense recently posted..Chocolate Filled Cookies + Royal Harvest Flax GiveawayMy Profile

Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs September 2, 2011 at 11:55 am

We definitely buy in bulk – but we belong to BJs (it’s closer!). My favorite deal from wholesale stores is wine. You just can’t go wrong!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Five for Friday: September HappeningsMy Profile

Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I love Costco! We like to buy apples and pears there as well.. because we eat them at least once a day and the value is amazing!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Foodie Friday: Lemon Chicken with VegetablesMy Profile

Andrea @ Andrea out loud! September 2, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I am definitely not a bulk buyer because I feel I would waste stuff since it is just my boyfriend and I! overall Im sure it would be cheaper though in the longrun.
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..The Chicken Pasta Post That Wasn’tMy Profile

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola September 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Sounds like you guys had a fun trip to Costco! I like the idea of stores like that but to be honest, they overwhelm me!! And that stir fry does look delicious! Maybe I need to give those noodles another try…
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Take 5 FridayMy Profile

Steph @ StephSnacks September 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I totally agree with you about Tofu Shirataki. I continue to buy them because of the large portions I can have. Must admit–I am a Costco junkie although I don’t go that much.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..A ‘New Life’ DinnerMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 2, 2011 at 12:44 pm

It looks like we have the same coffee table! Ikea?! I have the end tables too! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Foil-Baked TilapiaMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Haha YES Ikea!

Great minds think (and decorate) alike ;)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Haha oh girl I can COMPLETELY relate to getting overwhelmed when I walk into Costco. I used to shop there quite a bit, but I ended up not planning it properly and buying way more than I was using up. Now I only go if I need to stock up one some staples that can sit around for a long time, like oats and what not. Oooo and they have my favorite Silver Hills bread that I stock up on and freeze, too :D I’ve never tried any Attune Foods products, but now you’ve got me craving Rice Crispy squares lol.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... winner, winner; soup for dinner! .My Profile

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race September 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Ahhh, I love Costcos! You can get a good deal on fruit in bulk AND they carry bulk Chobani now :D
Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..I Declare!My Profile

Jordan September 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Costco is seriously HEAVEN. We only have a Sam’s club in town, but I’m trying to convince my mom to get a Costco membership and make the 30 minute trek to the nearest location…not workin so far :)
I have seen those tofu shiritaki noodles so much and really want to try them but my grocery store doesn’t have them. I’m on a mission to hunt them down!
Jordan recently posted..I Love Healthy Eating Because…My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 2, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Find them! You will not regret it!

Alexis September 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Our costco is ALWAYS packed. It’s right near our local mall (tax free shopping so it’s busy times a thousand!) so usually stick to our local BJs.. less crowded BUT costco had so many more things that I loved to buy in bulk.. like 10lbs of oatmeal. NO JOKE! for $6. How can you beat that?! I’ve never tried attune foods but I would love to if I ever saw it!
Alexis recently posted..They’re back!My Profile

Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese September 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I need to try these Attune products, they are everywhere! And I love Costco!!
Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese recently posted..Litteri’s.My Profile

Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin' September 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I miss Costco! We only have Sam’s here. I’ve never tried Attune products but I’d love to try that cereal!! :) I’ve never seen their brand around here though. Hope you enjoy the spinning class! I haven’t taken one in ages!
Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin’ recently posted..No pouting over here :) My Profile

nikki September 2, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I love Costco! Not for everything though… as another commenter had stated, not everything is cheaper!
A few things I buy regularly there are: Wild Roots trail mix, Tortilla soup, Penny’s fresh salsa, Guacamole, Steel cut oats (super cheap there!!) Alexa sweet Potato fries, batteries. As well as we buy big blocks of cheese and meat and divide it up…. cheese I slice on a slicer and interleaf it with parchment. Their produce is really good too as it seems to be fresher than my local food stores.
Something I recently found was Food Should Taste Good Tortilla chips, Sweet Potato and multigrain! They are SO good!
The closest Costco is over an hour from me, so I do not go too often… :(

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun September 2, 2011 at 6:39 pm

We love Costco too! And my hubby always gets a hot dog when we go ;) I buy a big bag of organic quinoa there, plus all my meat.
Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun recently posted..Fashion Friday – Lululemon Camel Cargo PantMy Profile

Priscilla September 15, 2011 at 11:07 am

This reminds me of my first time at Costo shopping for my own “clean” groceries. I almost cried of excitement!