Cat meat, anyone?

by Brittany on August 31, 2011

During class this morning, my brother left this comment on the Itty Bits of Balance Facebook page.

brandoncatmeat

Looks like Bella will be participating in her very first single-serving meal after all? ;)

In between classes I had a little break to hang out and get some school blog work done (I am a BAD BAD example.) I snacked on some carrots,

spelt 064

and swooned over this big hunk of flame throwing hotness that came to join me for a laptop pow-wow.

spelt 068

Lunch

Lunch was my own makeshift version of a cottage cheese caprese salad.

spelt 077

Hey, I bought it ;)

I completely forgot about the two bags of spinach that I have left in the fridge, on top of my two heads of romaine lettuce. A spinach salad seemed like the obvious (and most productive) choice.

Post-spinach consumption, I headed down to my apartment gym for 20 minutes of sprint/weight circuits.

spelt 081

I was trying to show how oversized my Team in Training shirt is, but really just look like I’m trying to give you a hug.

(Side note: WHY do I always end up getting left with oversized race shirts?)

What is Spelt?

A couple of you had questions about the spelt flakes that I had for breakfast this morning and that I tried for the first time last week.

russon 015

I received a sample of spelt flakes from Bob’s Red Mill a few weeks ago knowing that spelt is a distant cousin of wheat, which I just so happen to be allergic to. However, my wheat allergy is fairly mild and some of those with wheat-intolerances are able to tolerate spelt quite nicely. I decided to take my chances and give it a go.

bfast 032

The nutritional value of spelt is very similar to that of oats and the flakes look practically identical, however spelt has a slightly denser consistency. It also takes a little bit more time to cook than oats do, however the satiety factor is pretty impressive– I’m usually full for a good amount of time afterwards! (Which is rare because I eat all day long…) Because the grain has a high level of water solubility, it’s also quickly absorbed into the body.

image

Source

My recommendation is that if you’re an oat fan, you will most likely be a fan of spelt too. Check it out and let me know what you think! (And there was no allergy-related discomfort on my end. Score ;) )

More Useful Links on Spelt:

Have a good night guys! I’m off to somehow incorporate black beans into my dinner– Toodles!

A Bit to think about: Have you ever tried spelt flakes?

or

Have you ever tried cat meat? ;) (TOTALLY kidding!)

(**DISCLAIMER** No cats were harmed in the making of this post)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 31, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for the info–now I know! :) ….Laptop pow-wow, aw! Fun!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Listening ears are wonderful!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 31, 2011 at 5:31 pm

You’re quite welcome, Julie :)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Cat meat, anyone?My Profile

Mallory @ It's Only Life August 31, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Nope- never tried spelt! THey look yummy tho!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Happy Hump DayMy Profile

kate @ pomelo sunshine August 31, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Mmmm, spelt. I’ve had spelt in things before and I definitely like it. It’s got an unappealing name but tastes great!
kate @ pomelo sunshine recently posted..guest post: what matt ate wednesdayMy Profile

Lindsay @ biking before bed August 31, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I had my first human anatomy class last night and my prof announced we would be disecting a cat! As someone who couldn’t stomach the frog disection in 6th grade I’m a bit nervous! There will be no cat consumption thats for sure :)
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Its a plane, its a train, its an elliptical bike?My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 31, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Oh my gosh you are so brave! I’m not sure I could ever do that :(
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Cat meat, anyone?My Profile

Steph @ A Hungry Bookworm August 31, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I’ve been intrigued by spelt for quite some time but I’ve never had the guts to try it, I may have to now it sure looks yummy!
Steph @ A Hungry Bookworm recently posted..What I’m Loving WednesdayMy Profile

Sweet and Savvy August 31, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I’ve always been curious about spelt! I’d definitely like to give the stuff a try!:)
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..WIAW + Spiced Vanilla Chai Oat RecipeMy Profile

Kiah August 31, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Haha, I love Will’s “are you really taking a picture of me for the blog” face! My husband has not accepted his role as partner in blogging…yet. Mwahaha.
Kiah recently posted..the creative touchMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 31, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Haha!! Will says he could care less about being in pictures, but I know that he secretly loves the spotlight ;)

Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body August 31, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Yay for spelt, I already mentioned that I’ve used it before, so I won’t repeat myself but I will answer your other question…Nope, never tried cat meat (you surprised?) :)
Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body recently posted..Adaga BadagaMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 31, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Yes I’m very surprised! I thought you were a cat meat fiend, Sarah!

Laural @ Being Healthier August 31, 2011 at 7:44 pm

haha- yes I have had farro – well I made it in lab with a great sauce. It is interesting! I tried to cut out all wheat products but found out I had a hiatal hernia and not celiac so I’ve gotten back into some more grains now. I like staying most gluten free though- just personal preference.

thank goodness no cats were harmed.
Laural @ Being Healthier recently posted..Review: Vega Chocolate Sport Performance ProteinMy Profile

Liz @ Something To Chew On August 31, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I’ve never tried spelt but it sure intrigues me. Thanks for the info – I think I need to check this stuff out!! :)
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..What I’m Lovin’ WednesdayMy Profile

Julia Hazel August 31, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I;ve never tried spelt flakes but those look great!
I have the same Nike shorts- love them!!!!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 31, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Yay for spelt! I actually just had a bowl of spelt flakes as one of my snacks tonight :D I definitely agree that they’re delicious and have super staying power, but they just don’t replace oats for me :( I love oats for their taste and that goopy stuff that comes out when you cook them. Spelt flakes are a lot drier and taste a bit more wheaty. Still, they’re a great substitution and also nice for some variety :D
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … snacking the night away .My Profile

Haley Q August 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I’ve never tried spelt flakes, but I’m looking for ways to branch out from my beloved oatmeal! Perfect idea :)
Haley Q recently posted..WIAW with a purposeMy Profile

Suzi @ Confessions of a Fitness Instructor August 31, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I’m gonna say you always get oversized race shirts ‘cuz your so itty bitty everything is big on you! :D
Suzi @ Confessions of a Fitness Instructor recently posted..Complete/IncompleteMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 1, 2011 at 8:20 am

Aw! You sure know how to make a girl smile, Suzi ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..My Lab Coat Brings All the Boys to the YardMy Profile

Lindsay@LivingLindsay August 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Thanks for the info! I’ll definitely try spelt flakes! I’ll pick some up the next time I’m at the grocery store – I’m totally curious now! :)
And I seriously hope that I have never eaten cat meat. There was a Chinese restaurant I used to go to quite often when I was in college and their chicken was a REALLY strange texture. I’ve never in my life had chicken like that. We used to joke that it was probably cat meat. Gross
Lindsay@LivingLindsay recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday (and NuNaturals Giveaway Winners!)My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 1, 2011 at 8:19 am

HAHA! This story made me laugh so hard, that I had to give you a shout out in my morning post :D

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 31, 2011 at 11:33 pm

You are swimming in that shirt! :)
I like to steal my husband’s tshrits sometimes – bigger shirts are comfy to lounge around in!
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Asian Inspired MealMy Profile

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 31, 2011 at 11:33 pm

*tshirts – oops! :)

Christine @ Burning It Off September 1, 2011 at 6:32 am

My cat looks just like yours… except he has a little less meat on him so wouldn’t make for a very satisfying meal ;)
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Deep Fried Butter and Other Weekend IndiscretionsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 1, 2011 at 8:20 am

Haha! The fat ones make for the best entrees ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 1, 2011 at 6:45 am

I love your pink shorts! You look adorable in them :)
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..Mailbag: Diet or ExerciseMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

Thanks Averie!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 1, 2011 at 7:31 am

Bahah I have actually never tried cat meat or spelt flakes, I would like to try the spelt flakes though :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Lazy WIAWMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance September 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

Not the cat meat? ;)

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola September 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I like your take on a caprese salad! Sometimes you’ve just gotta go with what you have around! And thanks for info about spelt flakes! I’ve been curious since seeing them on your blog and others and now I know! I rarely make oats but if I do, I might give these a try!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Girls Night is Good for Your HealthMy Profile