Good vs. Realistic

by Brittany on August 29, 2011

Good news.. I was the lucky winner of a free Redbull when I purchased my books for school this morning!

IMG_3086

IMG_3085Realistic news.. I don’t think I’ve ever even had a Redbull, nor do I think I ever will. I’d much rather reach for a Healthier Mocha Coconut Frappuccino or a pumpkin spice latte any day :) (Is it weird that Frappuccino is a correction on spell check?)

Good news.. I have bowling class in about an hour!

Realistic news.. I still haven’t figured out how to bowl higher than a 90 with “proper form”, but I’m getting there.

Good news.. I had sliced cucumbers as a snack today and was able to have a little break before my morning class to catch up on some blog work (Hey Julie!)

photo

Realistic news.. I did so in the middle of a silent hallway and took this photo with my phone in order to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to myself & my noisy camera.

Good news.. Tonight is my second salsa class of the semester!

Realistic news.. Hopefully, I’ll still be awake at 8:00 PM when it starts..

Lunch today was a classy green monster smoothie :)

IMG_3092

Into the mix:

• 1 handful of spinach
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Hemp Protein powder
  • Frozen strawberries
  • Frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan gum
  • Ice
  • Topped with: Oats

IMG_3097

As some of you may remember, I received the Bob’s Red Mill Hemp Protein Powder a few weeks ago in the mail.

russon 016

Just like any of Bob’s other products that I’ve tried—I was thoroughly impressed! The powder was very light and not thick and milky like others that I’ve tried in the past. It was also tinted green—which pretty much means that it was a perfect match for my green monster smoothie :)

The stats are pretty awesome too:

proteinstats

Source

Hope all of you are having a fantastic start to your week! I’m off to bowl my little heart out, stop by the store for some leche (milk), then shake my groove thang in salsa class! Toodles 8)

A bit to think about: Do you use protein powder? If so, what is your favorite type/brand?

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I haven’t had Red Bull in forever! I limit myself to one small cup of coffee per day for my caffeine intake. If I recall, the taste of Red Bull is kind of…off…
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Chuck’sMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I need to start limiting myself to one cup of coffee haha! I find myself making excuses to let myself drink it– like for instance: staying up for salsa tonight :D
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Good vs. RealisticMy Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 29, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I like the stats on that powder!!! I need to give it a try! :) ….Your news made me laugh, too great!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..See How You Can Personalize Your Blog with Custom Fonts and CSSMy Profile

Lyndsie August 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I have never had a Red Bull either. To me they are just a waste of calories I would rather use for something else…like ice cream! :)

What exactly is good form for bowling? I’m sure when I bowl it’s FAR from correct form. Oh well! Have fun at salsa tonight! :)
Lyndsie recently posted..Blog BlissMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 4:20 pm

haha its funny that you say that because I had no idea there was such a thing as proper form either!

And yes, I’d sub ice cream for red bull any day ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Good vs. RealisticMy Profile

Alexandra August 29, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I use protein powder like crazy over here, I LOVE it in fruit smoothies and with cottage cheese the best! My favorite brands are Dymatize ISO-100 vanilla whey protein and Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion in cookies and cream or vanilla :)
Alexandra recently posted..Confessions, Accomplishments, and DesiresMy Profile

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) August 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I think protein powders upset my stomach, but I used to have them all the time. I always varied the brand, but my favorite flavor is chocolate :) Salsa class sounds awesome! Have fun :)

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola August 29, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I’m not a redbull fan either! I went through a phase a few years ago when I had them either when studying for finals or when I was out (redbull vodka) but now I can’t stand the stuff! And that protein powder sounds interesting! I’ve never used hemp protein before! I love SunWarrior but I’m in the market for one that I can buy at Whole Foods!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Fourth of July… in AugustMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’ve heard such things about Sun Warrior! Maybe one day I’ll finally take the plunge and purchase it on Open Sky…
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Good vs. RealisticMy Profile

claire @ the realistic nutritionist August 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I haven’t had redbull since college, haha! But it definitely did the trick during those late nights. That monster smoothie looks KILLER!
claire @ the realistic nutritionist recently posted..Eat Skinny Be Skinny: Avocado Hummus Cucumber BitesMy Profile

Holly August 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Oh red bull…I have many found memories with SF red bull…& now I cannot even drink it. Just the smell makes me sick..ha!
Buying books….eek! I definitely don’t miss that- they rip you off SO much! It is CRAZY!! I was just going through a bunch of my old college stuff yesterday (doing the necessary clean out) & I was actually throwing books away because they wouldn’t buy them back at the end of the semester..and I sure don’t need them. What a waste of money!!!
Have fun at your salsa class :D
Holly recently posted..Making Monday a Bit EasierMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Holly, I’m so glad that you feel my pain! I spend SO much money on books, and then maybe– IF I’m lucky– have the privilege of selling them back for HALF the price that I bought them for :(

It literally is like watching money go down the drain!
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Good vs. RealisticMy Profile

Brittany August 29, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I love protein powder! I typically use whey protein. It’s not too expensive and it’s really good.
I don’t really like redbulls, I like the sugar-free one better if I had to chose one. Is that weird? I don’t drink either though, they don’t do much and I’m not really into energy drinks at all.
Brittany recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookies and an Early MorningMy Profile

Faith @ For the Health of It August 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I’ve been using that same protein powder! Much cheaper than any other non-whey/spy powder out there, and i love the green tint too! PS – next time you make pancakes, drop some in – it makes them awesomely green and extra filling!

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 11:01 pm

That’s awesome Faith! Thanks for the tip :)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 29, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Hehe I’ve never had a Red Bull either. To be honest, they kind of freak me out… I’m not really into the whole concentrated caffeine stuff that makes you feel like you’re going to start bouncing off the walls. I’d rather keep it natural, so I stick to coffee and chocolate to get my caffeine fix ;)

And when it comes to protein powder, I usually stick to whey. The hemp protein I tried was just naaaasty and made me feel like I was drinking swamp water. I find that whey blends much more smoothly, and the flavors are great :D
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... a day without veggies .My Profile

Nikki August 29, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I have my first class of the semester in about an hour, and I know how you feel….I can barely stay awake now. What am I going to do at 9:15 when the class ends???
Nikki recently posted..Rainy RecapMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Haha! My salsa class just ended an hour ago (it’s 11:00 PM now) and my eyes are barely open :(

nicole @ simply-nicole August 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I am horrible at bowling. I won’t go unless we use bumpers! Oh and I love pbfingers as well. Such a great blog!

Rach August 29, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I tried that same Hemp Protein Powder, but it kinda had a gritty texture to it? Maybe? Or maybe that was something else in the smoothie I mixed it into. I should really give it another try. It’d be great to bump up my protein in the mornings!

Hope your bowling class went well, haha! And that you can stay away for salsa tonight!
Rach recently posted..A Weekend in LA…My Profile

Sweet and Savvy August 29, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Red Bull is nasty! I have never actually drank one, but there is just something NOT right about energy drinks!

I love Designer Whey protein powder. I get chocolate, and it is so good, that I haven’t tried any of the other flavors. (And Protein Powder is expensive!) I’d love to try some unflavored types like the kind you use!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Sweet Potato Fry CasseroleMy Profile

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun August 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Sounds like a good day! Have fun bowling and shaking your bootay ;)

I do use protein powder, but it’s just a generic one. I’ve tried the fancy ones and they are usually pretty gross!

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 11:02 pm

you mean shaking my little white bootay* ;)

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking August 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I got a free redbull with my books too! I turned it down though..never have and never will try one, haha.

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Did you really!? What is this like some kind of new marketing thing? haha
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Good vs. RealisticMy Profile

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 29, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I need to get some more protein powder!

I love Red Bull. I try to only drink it occasionally though!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Yard HouseMy Profile

Courtney August 29, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I LOVE Spirutein protein powder! It comes in yummy flavors like PB Cup and Cookie Dough! :)
Courtney recently posted..September Beauty ReviewMy Profile

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life August 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Ughh, I can’t stand Red Bull! Blech!
I’m with ya on the frappuccinos though. ;)
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..Why Does He Do That?My Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 29, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I do use protein powder, but I’ll use whatever kind my husband gets. I don’t use it that often … just in smoothies every once and a while. :)

Hope bowling went well!! Strike!!! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Blissful Blogger: 7 FactsMy Profile

Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run August 29, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Protein powder and I are good friends. I use it after a lot of my workouts and sometimes for breakfast because it’s hard to eat all the protein I need in a day in accordance with how much I work out. (I need like 90g a day or more). I love love Pure Protein Cookies n Creme, but the best is Lean Dessert Cinnamon Roll. Soooo good. Sometimes I’ll have a shake as a healthier option to dessert. :-)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Getting FancyMy Profile

Jennie (jenandberrys) August 29, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Salsa sounds like so much fun. Please let us know what it’s like ;)

Jennie (jenandberrys) August 29, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Wait I did not see that fantastic mocha coconut frap – perfection! Thank you sooo much for this – it sounds like a bounty in a glass :0
Jennie (jenandberrys) recently posted..Survey Excitement!!!My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 11:05 pm

You’re welcome Jennie :) Enjoy!

Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body August 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I ended up buying that hemp protein powder! And I cooked with it today to make something which may or may not be in an upcoming post, haha! Confession: I’ve had a red bull before…but don’t worry, I’ll never be having one again…it was nasty!
Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body recently posted..Fishy FriendsMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Oo! I can’t wait to see what you have up your sleeve, Sarah :D

fittingbackin August 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Rando free RB! I don’t like RBs but SFRBs are okay – I prefer espresso though! Good looking green monster!
fittingbackin recently posted..A Healthified Tailgate is a Happy Tailgate: 15 Tailgate Recipe IdeasMy Profile

Mallory @ It's Only Life August 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm

i have yet to buy protein powder. i really should though! i’m not sure how much protein we need in our diets slash if i even need it, but it sure looks yummy / like a good addition to smoothies!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..First Day: DoneMy Profile

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Redbull makes me jittery! I think it’s my body’s inability to tolerate much caffeine!

I have never actually used Protein Powder myself, but I’ve recently become intrigued by a Vanilla Protein Powder found in the bulk section of my grocery store! I’m liking everyone’s suggestions here :-)
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..PB and ToastMy Profile

Julie @ PBFingers August 29, 2011 at 8:35 pm

aw, this is too cute! hi back! :D
Julie @ PBFingers recently posted..Spit PicsMy Profile

Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese August 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I like posts like these. A lot. And I like protein powder. I am using Trader Joe’s right now but I think next time I am going to branch out!
Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese recently posted..Weekender.My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Aw thank you, Jane!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 29, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Blehh red bull makes me feel a bit ill. It tastes like melted sweet tarts!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Stormy Sunday SurveyMy Profile

Liz @ Something To Chew On August 29, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I’m going to start putting everything I eat into a wine glass/goblet. You’re such a classy broad ;)
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..An ApologyMy Profile

Haley Q August 30, 2011 at 12:45 am

I love adding raw oats as a smoothie topping! It makes them so much better.
Adding protein powder to my life has been an awesome decision. I stick with whey protein (whatever is cheap) and soy protein. Honestly the taste is ick, so I usually make pancakes, muffins, or oatmeal to hide the taste. I’m scared to branch out and try crazy flavors, but right now chocolate and vanilla is all I need!
Haley Q recently posted..A shortened autobiographyMy Profile

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 30, 2011 at 8:24 am

I’ve never had a red bull before! I’ve tried other energy drinks and hated them! The protein smoothie sounds really good! I hardly ever buy protein drinks or powders :)
Lauren @ What Lauren Likes recently posted..Late Summer Oatmeal MondayMy Profile