The Thought Process

by Brittany on August 28, 2011

Yesterday I found myself in a dilemma.

Since my arrival in Orlando for school, I have been making an extra effort to save money on groceries. In order to accomplish this, I’ve decided that a good strategy for success would be to plan one fantastic dinner recipe a week to satisfy my insatiable desire to constantly be creating dishes in the kitchen.

Last night, Will & I declared it a “Mexican night” and I set out to find our fantastic star of a recipe for the week.

Any ideas for a semi-healthy Mexican dish to make for Will & I for dinner tonight? :)
@IttyBitsBalance
Itty Bits of Balance

Michelle & Jackie were quick to point me in the right direction:

@ Check out @. She has recipes for veggie/vegan tacos and her legendary tamale pie. On my list o make!
@momjoviblog
Mom Jovi Blog
@ Ditto @'s suggestion. I'm making green & red lentil enchiladas tonight!

I began to rummage through MamaPea’s extensive recipe collection and was intrigued by the sound of her vegan tacos. At first my mind was set, but then I wavered and thought that it would be wise of me to milk this opportunity by introducing fish into Will’s life (he’s never eaten enough fish to draw a conclusive opinion about it.)
“Fish tacos” were my next search query.

I found these:

00:03

Source

but then found this:

taco bowl

Source

I came across this and wanted to incorporate a mango salsa.

mangofishtaco

Source

After literally an hour of intensive recipe searches, I decided that the only way to satisfy all of my specific cravings was to create a recipe of my own—and that’s exactly what I did.

mango 023

Meet Mango-Avocado Salsa Tilapia Taco bowls.

Success :D . The blend of fruity and citrusy flavors was perfect for an end-of-summer Mexican themed meal. Not only did I enjoy the end result, but Will admitted that the tilapia was quite tasty. Double success ;)

I’m going to have the recipe for this baby up later this afternoon so stay tuned!

This morning’s eats: Oats In A Jar!

mango 045

1/2 cup oats, 1 Tablespoon chia seeds, 1 sliced banana, salt, Truvia, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract and blueberries (somewhere). Topped with a teaspoon of PB & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter.

Should I mention that I also managed to get Will to eat oats for breakfast?

IMG_3053

Triple success ;)

A bit to think about: Do you ever have a difficult time deciding between recipes?

or

What’s your favorite Mexican dish?

Sweet and Savvy August 28, 2011 at 8:32 am

I ALWAYS have a difficult time decking between recipes! I Just always want them all.:) I love blending recipes together like you did go get Exactly What I want!

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 9:34 am

It’s the best way to satisfy all of my specific recipe requirements!

Sarah (everydaysapicnic) August 28, 2011 at 8:43 am

I often take inspiration from several different recipes to make up my own – I think it’s the best way. Your dinner look yummy :-)

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 9:39 am

Thanks, Sarah– It was yummy :D
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..The Thought ProcessMy Profile

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 28, 2011 at 8:46 am

Wow that looks yummy, looking forward to the recipe! :)

I love Mexican food – probably the condiments are my favourite like guac and salsa.

Emma @ Microcosm of Life August 28, 2011 at 9:08 am

You created the best of all worlds! I love making meals that are inspired by recipes, because let’s face it, we don’t always have or like every single ingredient in a recipe.

Plus, if you can convert the boyfriend into a fish fan in the process, bonus points! Looks yummmmz

Faith @ For the Health of It August 28, 2011 at 9:32 am

It was so funny to see your thought process – mine is usually really similar! I can never decide on just one recipe so I usually mash them up into several.

Faith @ For the Health of It August 28, 2011 at 9:32 am

mash several up into one…(c’mon coffee, kick in…)

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 9:40 am

Haha! Don’t worry Faith– it takes a while for my coffee to kick in too ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..The Thought ProcessMy Profile

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) August 28, 2011 at 9:38 am

Can’t wait for the recipe! Based on the pictures of it, I know it will be incredible :)

I can never decide between recipes either and usually end up combining three or four different ones. And fave Mexican dish… hmmm… does guacamole count? ;)

<3 <3

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 9:41 am

I’m going to go with YES! Guacamole definitely counts!
I can eat it by the spoonful :D

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 28, 2011 at 9:39 am

Ooo can’t wait for the recipe! That looks and sounds super yummy :). And I’m glad Will liked the fish!

Stephanie August 28, 2011 at 9:54 am

I used to LOVE fish tacos with mango and cilantro salsa. I haven’t had tacos in ages…
Stephanie recently posted..Now who’s surprised?My Profile

Kat August 28, 2011 at 9:55 am

mmmmm mexican :) My favorite would probably be like a taco salad. Mixed greens topped with sauteed onions, bell peppers, corn and black beans, maybe even a little brown rice seasoned with cumin and chili powder. Then topped with salsa and hummus and a few slices of avocado. Delish!
Kat recently posted..Sweets filled dayMy Profile

Haley Q August 28, 2011 at 10:02 am

Mexican night is my fav, your creation looks wonderful!
How did you get your oats to be so voluminous?! I never make oats in a jar because I hate having to dig for them !
Haley Q recently posted..Baking my way out of summerMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I used a chia-seed thickening method :) You can read about it on my post here http://ittybitsofbalance.com/2011/08/13/guess-that-plate/

Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) August 28, 2011 at 10:25 am

I can never decide on recipes either, mostly because I hardly ever cook. :) Your solution looks great though, and double points for getting the boy to eat your delicious food!!

Fave Mexican dish? Veggie fajitas or tacos!
Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) recently posted..SpicyMy Profile

Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 28, 2011 at 10:41 am

Yumm your creation looks fantastic! I have so much trouble deciding on recipes, like it stresses me out for some reason haha
Fave mexican dish?! Hmm I would go with either a taco salad in a fried bowl or tacos :)
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Stormy Sunday SurveyMy Profile

Steph @ StephSnacks August 28, 2011 at 10:53 am

I can’t stop looking at those oats.. I’m going to have to make that exact recipe!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Hurricane LunchMy Profile

Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin' August 28, 2011 at 11:02 am

Our boys are doing great with their willingness to try new foods lately! lol I’m impressed! :) John is agreeing to eat vegetarian for a week with me in September. I do the same thing with coming up with recipes to try too! I spend wayyy too long trying to decide which one and then make a combination of all of them. :)
Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin’ recently posted..One tasty SaturdayMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Look at us– girls on the move ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..The Thought ProcessMy Profile

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I always have trouble deciding on recipes!! I have a really hard time deciding what I want to eat.

I love fajitas that are jam-packed with veggies!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Floating, Floating Down a RiverMy Profile

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race August 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Fish tacos are one of my favorite things EVER! Your fish bowls look so freaking good! :P *drool*
Shannon ~ My Place In The Race recently posted..Mr. Man Premier…Year 3?My Profile

Brittany @ RunWithBritt August 28, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I can’t wait for the recipe! Is it just me or does throwing cilantro on everything make it taste better?
Brittany @ RunWithBritt recently posted..Marathon Training Week 7 RecapMy Profile

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm

so much success!! :) I need to do the OIAJ- my almond butter jar is staring at me waiting for me to finish it.
I love mexican food but I don’t have it often. But your recipe looks amazing!!
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..float like a butterfly, sting like a beeMy Profile

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I love your thinking ;) I definitely have a hard time deciding between what to make for dinner, especially if I get too hungry because then everything just looks good. Usually, I just end up throwing everything that I’m craving together in one bowl and hope for the best. Most of the time it turns out well and I find new favorites, but those other times? Yeaaaaah we’re not going to talk about those…

It’s awesome that you got Will to try fish AND oats. It looks like you’re rubbing off on him in a good way :) I love it when I influence my family’s eating habits for the better. I just wish I could get them to get as excited for oatmeal as I do!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... to gym, or not to gym? .My Profile

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm

It always takes me awhile to figure out what recipe I want to try when I have a craving. I’ve started bookmarking all the recipes I find along the way to reference when those cravings come around.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Chuck’sMy Profile