Mango-Avocado Fish Taco Bowl

by Brittany on August 28, 2011

Hey guys! Hope all of you are having an awesome day :)

Some Sunday things worth mentioning:

1. Have you checked out my guest post on Tina’s blog this morning? While you’re there, be sure to take a look around her page as well—She has tons of thought-provoking and inspirational posts to share.

2. Remind me to never name another post after my little white booty“. Let’s just say that the Itty Bits search engine term list has attracted quite the variety of audiences… (Does anyone know what a “little smoothy booty” is?)

3. I am addicted to the Words With Friends iPhone app, even though my most impressive word thus far has been “pug”…

4. Lunch today:nuhk 018

Spinach, romaine salad, avocado, cottage cheese, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.

5. This recipe:

• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  •  1/4 teaspoon salt
  •  1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 2 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 Tbsp lime juice
  • 1/2 pound tilapia (about 2 fillets)
  • 2 cups Romaine leaves (optional)
  • 2 tortillas of choice (optional: for chip strips)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Combine all of the salsa ingredients into a large bowl. Mix together and add salt and pepper to taste.

mango 004

3. Slice tortillas into strips and place on pan covered in cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook for 6-10 minutes (depending on desired crispiness.) Be careful not to burn, as tortilla strips become chips very fast!)

mango 022

4. In a heated pan, add olive oil, cinnamon, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic and cilantro. Stir to combine and sauté for 3 minutes.

5. Add tilapia to pan and cover. Cook fillets for 5 minutes. Add lime juice then flip and cook other side.

mango 019

6. Fill bowls with romaine lettuce. Once fish is done, add to bowl and top with mango salsa. Add tortilla chip strips if desired.

mango 023

mango 028

Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body August 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Tilapia is an awesome fish, this recipe looks great! I’ve never made my own salsa before, but it looks fabulous!
Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body recently posted..So(y) Long, FarewellMy Profile

fittingbackin August 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm

This looks excellent! So glad to have found you from Tina’s blog!

Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 28, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hee – I guess you figured out the Blackbird Pie plugin (sorry I didn’t respond sooner!).

I LOVE fish tacos – actually, I love them so much I’m adding them to the list this week! I’ve never tried to make mango salsa – I might have to do that too (<–copy cat).

Your guest post on Tina's blog was so cute – I was so excited to see you on there!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..When 20 Becomes 19, MaybeMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Haha yess I figured it out, thank you anyway! Is it weird that I really do consider you my blogging guru?

Copy cat all you want, Michelle– you are going to LOVE them!
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mango-Avocado Fish Taco BowlMy Profile

Lori Lynn August 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I just found your blog from Tina’s blog. Your recipe looks really good. Thanks for sharing!

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 28, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I love tilapia! It’s cheap and its tasty. :D
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..float like a butterfly, sting like a beeMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm

It actually surprised me by how cheap it is! $3.00 baby ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mango-Avocado Fish Taco BowlMy Profile

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 28, 2011 at 5:41 pm

You are getting creative with your food girl! Way to go…. My husband wishes I would be that motivated, I’m sure!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..First day of 3rd Grade!My Profile

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 28, 2011 at 6:15 pm

That recipe looks awesome! And your guest post on Tina’s blog was really good :). You have accomplished so much girl! Good for you!!
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Wedding And an Accidental PunchMy Profile

Jennie (jenandberrys) August 28, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Hi *awkward 1st comment hello here. haha really funky blog, love it! Jelly bean background is amazing :0 As a new bloggy I can’t wait to be reading more from you! Oh tilapia is gorgeous – I loooove fish and fruit combinations.

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Jennie! :D
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mango-Avocado Fish Taco BowlMy Profile

Liz @ Something To Chew On August 28, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Those bowls look awesome!! I giggled at the comment about your booty search results ;)
Liz @ Something To Chew On recently posted..An ApologyMy Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I SO need to make the fish taco bowl. I have a couple of tilapia fillets sitting in my freezer, begging me to use them! I just need a lime and cilantro and I’d be ready to go!! I’m putting them on my grocery list right NOW! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Grown-Up Grilled Cheese.My Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Oh wait … scratch that. I also need all of the ingredients for the salsa haha. Oops! :P Guess I need to add more to the grocery list!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Grown-Up Grilled Cheese.My Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Haha! The salsa is the best part! You can’t forget that ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mango-Avocado Fish Taco BowlMy Profile

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

LOVE Words with Friends!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..French Onion Pork ChopsMy Profile

Hilary August 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm

If I liked fish, I would say that looked good. But I don’t, so I will say, that doesn’t look too bad for something with fish in it! ;)
Hilary recently posted..Farmers’ Market FunMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Haha! I’ll take what I can get ;)
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mango-Avocado Fish Taco BowlMy Profile

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life August 28, 2011 at 9:34 pm

WOW girl, that dinner looks amazing!
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..They Knew It TooMy Profile

Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm

It WAS amazing, Courtney!
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mango-Avocado Fish Taco BowlMy Profile

Soo@LMF August 28, 2011 at 9:47 pm

One word: YUM! :)
Soo@LMF recently posted..Love grown foods giveaway!My Profile

Shannon [Tropical Eats] August 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm

just found your bloggy and love it!!!

love finding fellow florida bloggers.

mango makes everything better. :)
Shannon [Tropical Eats] recently posted..Hurricane Irene: Floridian IssuesMy Profile

Nikki August 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Those tortilla chips look awesome!!! And oh man, I can only imagine the people who searched for your blog!
Nikki recently posted..Rainy RecapMy Profile

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) August 29, 2011 at 2:29 am

I loooove tilapia and this sounds like a great way to enjoy it. I was surprised by the cinnamon you included!

Did you use flour or corn tortillas?

Itty Bits of Balance August 29, 2011 at 5:27 am

The cinnamon actually added a really nice kick to the tilapia! And as for the tortillas, I used a brown rice tortilla for me and Will used a flour tortilla for himself.
Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mango-Avocado Fish Taco BowlMy Profile

Isabelle August 29, 2011 at 2:56 am

I love this recipe. I’m the biggest fan of fish and I love how you incorporated Mango in it! I want to make this for dinner :)
Isabelle recently posted..Food is FuelMy Profile

katie August 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm

OOOO girl this looks good!!! I love fish and mango together- its like the perfect combo of sweet and salty!!!

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola August 29, 2011 at 1:16 pm

OMG, your poor search engine terms- you must be getting some weirdos!! And that looks like such a fantastic meal! I’m so impressed that you just thought it up and created it! What a treat!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Fourth of July… in AugustMy Profile