Why Should You Back Up Your Blog?

by Brittany on August 19, 2011

Wow! So many of you had a lot of input about backing up your blogs and websites! Considering the fact that I’m still a blogging newbie, the importance of backing up my blog was just made aware to me a few weeks ago—and if you still have no idea about what this  even means—don’t sweat it :)

From my understanding, we’re all at risk of losing our bloggies. Let me say that again—WE ARE ALL AT RISK OF LOSING OUR BLOGGIES.

backup-monkey1

Source

That means every post, tag, page, recipe, and comment is in danger of being lost somewhere into the internet abyss and never to be seen again. However, all of this can be prevented if we simply take precautionary measures and back up our sites.

I’m self-hosted through WordPress.org so this is the only kind of backup I know how to do. There are a couple plugins that you can download which will perform the entire back up process for you. The one I use is called “WordPress Database Backup  and I was able to set it up so that I would receive a weekly email with the updated backup of my site.

Here is where I would probably begin a tutorial about how to specifically back up your blogs and yada yada yada, but considering the fact that I just learned how to do it yesterday, I’m just going to go ahead and refer you to the magnificent Katy’s blog where you can find in depth step-by-step instructions on how to avoid such a catastrophe. (See her post “Backing Up Your Blog”)

In other news, today has been full of a lot of this

httt 016

this,

httt 015

this,

httt 010(Spinach, cottage cheese, avocado, alfalfa sprouts, cottage cheese and balsamic vinegar)

and this

httt 012Strawbuhrries

Oh and I can’t forget THIS: :D

Have any of you tried the magical goodness of the Mocha Coconut Frappuccino from Starbucks?

mochacoconut

Source

I must admit, I had my hesitations, but once I took a sip it was very clear to me—I needed to create a healthier adaptation of the stuff as soon as possible or else I might find myself in the midst of a frapp overdose.

Needless to say, my prayers were answered.

Healthier Mocha Coconut Frappuccino

frapp 001

Ingredients:

•  1 cup almond milk
  •  2 Tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa powder
  •  2 teaspoons instant coffee (I used Tasters Choice)
  •  Sweetener of choice (I used Truvia)
  •  1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
  •  1 Tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
  •  1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
  •  1 Tablespoon protein powder of choice
  •  Ice

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in blender and blend. Add ice until desired consistency is achieved. Top with shredded coconut or chocolate chips.

frapp 002

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening! I’m going on a date with my mom tonight for the last time before I leave. Que sad :(

A bit to think about: What are your thoughts on backing up?

or

Have you ever blessed your lips with the Mocha Coconut Frappuccino?

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) August 19, 2011 at 2:54 pm

That’s so scary that our blogs can be lost…especially since we put so much time and dedication into them.

I am in looove with Starbuck’s mocha coconut frapp. I’ll be off to an airport soon-maybe I’ll treat myself to one during that time. I’m always so hesitant to go to Starbucks cuz of the price tag. Thanks for sharing your DIY recipe!

Itty Bits of Balance August 19, 2011 at 10:53 pm

No prob, Allison :)

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race August 19, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Those strawberries look yummy! :P

Nikki August 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Ugh packing/unpacking is the worst. I hope it is coming along well!

Sweet and Savvy August 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Yay for healthy frapps! Where would we be in this world if it wasn’t for starbucks? :)

And by the way.. I love your glass that your homemade frapp is in!

Itty Bits of Balance August 19, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Thanks, Savannah :) I always feel so fancy pouring drinks into wine glasses ;)

Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze August 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I have never blessed my lips with the mocha coconut frappucino :( I need to get over my “passion iced tea lemonade, sweetened” addiction and try something new! Have a wonderful last date with your mother.. I know how those go… very sad :(

Itty Bits of Balance August 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Don’t worry! I have the same “iced nonfat latte with an extra shot” addiction that has prevented me from trying MANY drinks haha ;)

Lyndsie August 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I love the mocha coconut frappuchino! Actually, I pretty much love anything coconut or mocha :) Thanks for the healthier version…will definitely be trying that one.

I have yet to brave the whole self-hosting world. When I do I will be sure to back, back, back it up! ;)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I just read the post on backing up…thank you for writing that! I am off to do that NOW!

Emma @ Microcosm of Life August 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Oh snap! Such a good point. I’ll need to see about backing up my baby blog! PS- I love your comforter..mine is the same color!

Itty Bits of Balance August 19, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Haha really!? Great minds think alike ;)

Holly August 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Good point about backing up!
& that shake looks really good- what a nice spin off of the Starbucks one..and I’m sure like 1000 times healthier :) Just thinking, what if you added a little coconut extract to it? Just a thought :)
Have a nice time with your Mom, I know it must be hard. Thinking of you!

Itty Bits of Balance August 19, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Thanks Holly :)
It’s so funny that you said that about the coconut extract because I TOTALLY erased it by accident while typing up the recipe on Live Writer haha
I went ahead and fixed the recipe :) Thanks for the reminder
You’re obviously an undercover psychic! ;)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Eeep! I don’t even wanna think about the possibility of my blog being lost. That would just be horrible. I’m still learning about all of the fancy stuff behind blogging, so I’m definitely gonna have to look more into backing up and self-hosting. And I don’t think I’ve ever had the Mocha Coconut Frapp, but I do love me a good frapp :D Love the healthy twist you put on it. Hope you have a great night with your mom!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 19, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I definitely need to look into backing up my blog! Even though I haven’t been blogging for too long, I’d be so sad if I lost everything! There’s still so much to learn!

I’ve heard a so many people talking about this new frap! My sister actually got one & gave me a sip but I wasn’t a big fan because I don’t really like coconut! :-(

Itty Bits of Balance August 19, 2011 at 11:00 pm

There is SO much to learn, but I feel like it gets easier as we go :)ee

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 19, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Ahh kinda freaky about blogging! I’m not yet self-hosted though, so I’m wondering if wordpress automatically does it for me? I need to figure that out asap! I’ve had a mocha coconut frapp and it was awesome- yours sounds just as delicious!! Hope you’re having a good night with your mama! I’m finally back from Florida, but already missing my boy :(

Megan August 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Mocha coconut frapp say whaaa? I need that, like now. :D

And thanks for bringing this up – I can’t imagine losing all my blog stuff :O

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel August 19, 2011 at 11:12 pm

damn i’d want your mocha coconut frappuccino over Starbuck’s ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!! <3 gimme gimme!!! :) hehe

xoxo <3

Jordan August 20, 2011 at 12:36 am

ahhh i really need to back up my blog! i would be devastated if i lost it!
i still haven’t tried a mocha coconut frapp…i’m afraid that if i do i’ll be hooked. but i am DEFINITELY gonna try this healthier substitute! thanks for the recipe, i can’t wait! :)

Sara K August 20, 2011 at 1:53 am

Thank you for this post! Such a good reminder! I’ve been wanting to change to self hosting for a while now, but I’m honestly completely baffled on how to do the switch/how much it costs/what the steps are etc.

Sophie August 20, 2011 at 4:57 am

It’s scary to think how easily they can be lost!
At the moment I don’t pay anything towards my blog so I haven’t backed it up but when I become self-hosted (sometime in the future) I will definitely look into it!
That healthy frappuccino looks seriously delicious :-)

nikki August 20, 2011 at 9:17 am

I self-host through Bluehost, and I have it set up to automatically back up… it’s nice, and doesn’t take a lot of effort :p

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 20, 2011 at 9:25 am

Mmm…I love coconut! Have fun with your mom tonight! I definitely need to get on backing up my blog. Thanks for the tips!