Chop Chop Farewell

by Brittany on August 18, 2011

I was so overwhelmed by the honesty of your responses to yesterday’s post. It is such a great quality to be able to recognize the intangible things that truly matter in our lives and not by the things that bring only momentary happiness. Thank you all for sharing your heartfelt bits of input. I’m so lucky to have such open, honest, and awesome readers :)

Yesterday, after catching up on some blogging (Does anyone else feel like their Google Reader makes them feel guilty for not keeping up with posts!?) I decided to take my little leggies out for my last Miami run before heading back up to Orlando this weekend.

things 039

I threw on my old Team In Training singlet (read about my Team in Training experience here) and went out into the blazing heat.

The dealio with my runs since I really started to cut down on my cardio overdose is that I try to let them be a little less structured. I’ll usually end up covering anywhere from 1.5-4 miles, depending on how tired my legs get or how hot the sun is at the moment. It’s crazy to think that just a few months ago I wouldn’t consider any run a success if it was anywhere less than 3 miles. I was a compulsive cardio junkie and felt like I needed to have an elevated heart rate for hours at a time. Today, my body is just as happy with a laid back 1.5 miles.

This cutie showed up on my doorstep..

things 041

And we were on our way to savor our last taste of Chicken Kitchen.

Oh, chop chop—how I shall miss thee.

things 042

My chop chop included chicken, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, brown rice, curry sauce, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar.

Be still my heart.

things 043

Will’s chop chop was a little manlier—yellow rice, chicken, tomatoes, iceberg lettuce and hot sauce.

This morning I naturally woke up at 5:30 (.. I know, right..) with a grumbling tummy. I immediately made my way to the kitchen to feed the beast within.

things 046

2 slices of Ener-G light tapioca toast with Justin’s Honey Almond Butter and banana slices.

things 048

With 2 slices of Applegate turkey bacon. This is the first time I’ve tried Applegate (I’m usually a Wellshire Farms kind of girl) and I was pretty impressed. The only difference between the two that I noticed is that the Applegate slices shrunk into little babies while my Wellshire slices usually keep their massive size during the cooking process.

I have two days until the big move & lots to do! See you all later with the third edition of Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday ;)

Have a great day! Black Sheep

A bit to think about: If you’re a runner, how do you determine how far you’re going to run?

or

Are you a bacon lovah’?

Christine @ Burning It Off August 18, 2011 at 7:55 am

Right now, I’m a slave to my training schedule but before that, I used to base the length of my runs on 3 things: 1) how I was feeling 2) the weather and 3) how much time I had. Actually, running was often my back up plan when I didn’t have time for an hour long workout; I’d just head out for 30 minutes and be done with it. I love that running is so flexible like that.

Itty Bits of Balance August 18, 2011 at 10:54 am

I feel the same way, Christine! Running is totally a flexible work out when you don’t have a training plan to follow

Sweet and Savvy August 18, 2011 at 8:23 am

I am not a runner at all! It is just not a natural talent for me..

I’ve probably never enjoyed it due to my awful hips + knees & asthma..

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 18, 2011 at 8:23 am

I love bacon with potatoes! Yum! Um, when you get back to Orlando can you bring with you a vat of that curry sauce? It sounds so good! :)

Itty Bits of Balance August 18, 2011 at 10:55 am

Haha I’ll have to pick some up on my way out, Jessica ;)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 18, 2011 at 8:39 am

Running doesn’t come naturally to me; no matter how bad I want it to, no matter how far I run, no matter how often I run it just doesn’t feel ‘natural and easy’ like I want it to. I try to run 2.5 every day but somedays, me and the elliptical are just better friends so I can multi-task….. Waking up at 5:30! WOW! …. My google reader is taunting me at times! You’re NOT alone!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 18, 2011 at 8:51 am

I am not a runner or a bacon lover! haha I don’t mind it once inawhile. But hardly ever use it or have it in the house :)

Julia August 18, 2011 at 8:53 am

ewwww to bacon haha. I usually do the same amount each time I run, depending on how I feel

Nikki August 18, 2011 at 9:04 am

Just so you know, you are freaking adorable haha. I love reading your blog!

I try running every other day, and usually run about 4 miles. I will just do one mile if I am lifting though. I think it all depends on how my body is feeling that day!

And as for bacon…YUM. I just got introduced to turkey bacon a few months ago…and it is delishhh!

Itty Bits of Balance August 18, 2011 at 10:57 am

Aw! Thank you so much Nikki :D That’s so sweet of you!
(Happy Blogiversary again, by the way)

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop August 18, 2011 at 9:11 am

Yum! Whenever I buy bacon or cold cuts, I like to buy Applegate because they treat their animals nicer than other brands. I think every brand should make animal welfare their #1 priority! It’s worth spending the extra money too.

Itty Bits of Balance August 18, 2011 at 10:57 am

I had no idea about Applegate’s treatment of animals, but thank you for the info, Amy! Now I will definitely make the extra effort to find the brand whenever I can

Lisa @ Healthful Sense August 18, 2011 at 9:13 am

I tried to run the other day and my lungs definitely told me how far I would be going. They started burning about eh… 2 minutes into the run haha… So much for my crosscountry days and 8 mile runs.
Think I’ll stick to walking for now until my kids are old enough to ride bikes and there is no stroller to push!!

Itty Bits of Balance August 18, 2011 at 10:58 am

Don’t worry Lisa– I feel the same way sometimes and I don’t even HAVE a stroller to push, haha ;)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 18, 2011 at 9:29 am

I’m a new runner! So far I’ve been building on my runs by adding a kilometer every 4 or 5 runs – so that’s how far I run :)

Itty Bits of Balance August 18, 2011 at 10:59 am

Awesome! That’s pretty impressive, Aine ;)

Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze August 18, 2011 at 9:34 am

I am definitely a bacon lover. I have to limit myself :) and I just began running this summer so I usually run 2 or 3 miles… working on running more!

Liz @ Something To Chew On August 18, 2011 at 9:50 am

Bacon + Liz = BFF :)

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

I only run sometimes and I try to never tell myself how far I’m going to go- otherwise I’ll get disappointed if I don’t make it that far. You salad looks super yummy :). Good luck with all the stuff you have to do before you move!

Itty Bits of Balance August 18, 2011 at 11:00 am

That’s actually a pretty good tactic– haha I might have to start doing that. I usually have a vague idea of how far I’m going to run

Steph @ StephSnacks August 18, 2011 at 10:10 am

I used to be SUCH a compulsive runner, never running less than 40 minutes AT ALL. It just became too much. Now I really, really enjoy a mix of running and walking — it just suites me better :)

Itty Bits of Balance August 18, 2011 at 11:00 am

You & me both, Steph! Run/walks are just MUCH more my cup of tea, and I enjoy the outdoors so much more!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 18, 2011 at 10:30 am

I definitely experience Google Reader guilt! I can never tackle it in one go, so I just randomly take 10-15 mins throughout the day to hit up some posts. That way, I don’t get overwhelmed by huge numbers lol. And I used to force myself to complete a minimum number of runs, too, but since I started weight training and cutting back on cardio, I just go however long I feel like, and never more than 3 miles. I guess I’m not as much of a runner as I tried to make myself out to be. I figure that the minute I stop enjoying something is the minute I have to stop pushing myself so hard to do it.

Itty Bits of Balance August 18, 2011 at 11:01 am

I try to do that too– but when I fall behind I feel like I’m letting everyone down! I cant leave them hanging! haha :(

Emily August 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’m not a huge bacon fan. I will eat it every so often but it’s definitely a food I could live without. When I run I do a lot of different things depending on how I’m feeling. Lately, I have been doing pre-made workouts from different websites, or I might just mix it up and do whatever sounds good for that day!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food August 18, 2011 at 11:12 am

I try to keep with the half marathon training plan I used during the early part of summer – do moderate 3-5 mile runs during the week with longer ones on the weekends. I’m not too concerned about increasig mileage right now, but I am planning on doing another half in October, so in a couple of weeks, I’ll get back into that.
Even though I go out with a distance in mind, I have no problem with quitting early if I feel the need to! Sometimes I’m just tired! Haha! :-)

Errign August 18, 2011 at 11:13 am

Usually when I’m running,I tend to have sort of a plan on how long I’m going to go. I’d like to get out of that habit for at least one run a week, but my problem is that, I tend to get “tired” right at the beginning of a run and give up if I don’t have a goal, when if I keep going, I get energy..make sense? lol.

I do like bacon a teeny bit and I always want it after I come to your blog, but I know I couldn’t finish a pack before it went bad!

thehealthyapron August 18, 2011 at 11:15 am

I go in spurts with running. Sometimes I love it and other times I don’t. Lately I’ve been in a running kick though! I’m not psycho about it or anything, I might run/walk 35-45 minutes

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 18, 2011 at 11:39 am

I usually determine my runs the night before, I always have to set a goal and mentally prepare myself. If I don’t, I’ll fell out of it that morning and unmotivated to run.

Haley Q August 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I used to have to run for atleast 5 miles too! Otherwise I felt so guilty for “not running enough”. Now if I actually get my butt off the treadmill and go for an outdoor run, I just run until I feel like it’s enough. No structure means no stress over finishing or not.
And I’m probably the only American who doesn’t like bacon! Weird, I know.

Maria@La_Piattini August 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Good to know- I just bought Applegate turkey bacon but haven’t made it yet. I used to get Butterball but I decided to try something new.
When I used to run, I would follow a training schedule to determine how far to run. I found that when I just went out with no plan I enjoyed it much better though.

Sarah (everydaysapicnic) August 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm

At the moment I have a training plan because I’m planning to do my first half marathon in October. I think I’m still a cardio addict!
I totally have the same problem with Google Reader – if I don’t keep on top of it I can have over 100 unread posts in a day and I’m kind of obsessed with reading on all of them, although I couldn’t possibly comment on them all!