Alley Cats Strike

by Brittany on August 16, 2011

Buenos dias!

I’m so glad you all liked the funfetti cookie recipe! Will said (and I quote) that they were “the best cookies I’ve made.” Score ;)

I received a lot of feedback on the mention of me taking bowling classes in the fall. Well, the rumors are true and yes, my school DOES seriously offer bowling classes. It’s a long story, but basically I completed all of my major’s requirements within the first 3 years of schooling so now I have tons of extra credit hours to use on any classes I’d like.

I’m no professional bowler, but a few months ago when Will & I were still getting to know each other we would go bowling a lot with our group of friends. I discovered that I actually wasn’t half bad and even beat Will several times! (don’t let him tell you otherwise ;) ) In order to expend any potential prodigal bowling talents I’ve been harboring, I’ve decided to use up some of my freebie credits on a bowling class. Who knows? Maybe I’ll be the next star of the Disney Channel’s Alley Cats Strike.

alleycats

Source

Last night Will & I headed over to one of our favorite sushi restaurants Ruson Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi to say goodbye for the last time.

russon 002

Will was the one to introduce Ruson to me and I’ve only been a handful of times. I’ve even gone just to sit and sip some green tea, but even loved those mini-visits :) russon 004The menu is pretty extensive and they have sushi options as well as hibachi (where the chefs cook in front of you on a humungo grill.) I’ve never been to the hibachi section, but every time that I come for sushi, that area always looks pretty packed.

russon 005

I started with the House Salad, which was served with an ample amount of ginger dressing (I actually took off some of the ginger because it was a tad overwhelming.)

russon 008

For my meal, I got the California Roll with brown rice. Call me simplistic, but for $5.50 Ruson makes the best quality California Rolls I’ve ever tasted. Usually sushi joints have such extensive menus with so many extravagant roll options that they tend to skimp on the simpler rolls. Ruson, however, is a whole different ball game. Will & I left with full bellies & satisfied sushi quotients :D

This morning was an Oats in a Jar kind of morning. Due to my last toxic experience with a plastic jar of oats, I was very insistent upon letting the oats cool down before pouring them into the nearly empty PB & Co. chocolate peanut butter jar. Needless to say, the OIAJ angels worked in my favor–

russon 019

Into the mix: 1/2 cup oats, 1 sliced banana, 1 cup water, chia seeds (using the chia seed method), a blueberry handful, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sea salt, nutmeg, and Truvia. Topped with Justin’s Honey Almond Butter.

russon 020

A bit to think about: Do you like to bowl? Would you ever take a bowling class?

Faith @ For the Health of It August 16, 2011 at 8:16 am

I love to bowl but I’m absolutely wretched at it! If I break 100 I’m on FIRE!

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 3:32 pm

HAHA! You get it girl!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 16, 2011 at 8:18 am

I’m a terrible bowler, but it would definitely be a more fun way to waste some class credits! I’d be really embarrassed if I failed the class though!

Molly August 16, 2011 at 8:38 am

you can’t go wrong with a California Roll!

Sweet and Savvy August 16, 2011 at 8:46 am

I think that’s awesome that you can take some FUN classes now! :)

Haley Q August 16, 2011 at 8:48 am

Bowling is not my forte at all, so props for actually (kind of) getting graded on it! It’ll be so nice to just take a bunch of fun classes this year!

Meredith @ food, shoes, and booze August 16, 2011 at 8:58 am

You should check out the Hibachi section some time :) I have a hard time because the food is so good but I’m so mesmerized by what they’re doing that I can’t look away to eat!

Will August 16, 2011 at 9:11 am

Hmmm I dk if twice constitutes several times but its your blog so I won’t argue with you cutie :P

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Hey mister! Watch your tone! ;)

Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 16, 2011 at 9:18 am

I went to Florida State and they also offered bowling classes! They also have a circus and offered wine-tasting classes among others that I never took and now regret NOT taking! So take as many fun classes as you can :)

Mmmm…that food looks good! I’d love some Japanese food right about now!

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I didn’t know FSU had bowling classes too! I’m glad to see that they also know where it’s at ;)

Liz @ Something To Chew On August 16, 2011 at 9:44 am

That sushi looks great! I love to bowl, but had never thought there would be serious classes for it. But I guess there are classes for everything ;) I think it’d be fun!!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 16, 2011 at 10:04 am

That’s so awesome that your school offers actual bowling classes for credit. I had a bunch of easy credits left over my last year, too, but I ended up having to take garbage classes like Greek Civ. and some health course. Bowling is tonnes of fun, but I usually end up just goofing around with my friends and never take it seriously.

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop August 16, 2011 at 10:05 am

Hello! I love when sushi places offer rolls with brown rice. Most of the ones I go to only offer white rice and it drives me nuts!

Lisa @ Healthful Sense August 16, 2011 at 10:25 am

Love california rolls w/ brown rice :) I haven’t been bowling is sooo long… fun times!!

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Neither had I until I met Will! Definitely something to get back into :)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food August 16, 2011 at 10:57 am

I really like to bowl! I haven’t done it for such a long time though! I tend to always forget about it! Haha!

I love California rolls too! I do love fancy ones too, but sometimes I just want my basic favorite. :-D

Cait's Plate August 16, 2011 at 11:08 am

GAH! I literally JUST told my boyfriend last night that I want to go bowling!! That’s so funny!

Also – ya definitely can’t beat a nice California roll! What a good night :)

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Haha I actually predicted that and made this post in honor of my mind-reading skills :D

Squirrel Snackin' August 16, 2011 at 11:19 am

I’m pretty horrible when it comes to bowling, but Wii bowling..that’s another story! ;) I had a few friends that took a bowling class in college for the same reason and they actually loved it..I’m sure you will too!

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I LOVE the Wii games! The little Wii people are so cute though, so I can get distracted a lot… :X

Ali @ Peaches and Football August 16, 2011 at 11:29 am

I am TERRIBLE at bowling – my goal is always to try and break 100. When I first graduated from college I got one of my younger brothers to join a couples league with me (didn’t have to be a “couple”, just needed two members per team) and we had so much fun. We bought bowling shoes right away because they charge $1.50 a pair and we figured we’d recoup the fee and not have to wear icky shoes.

It was so much fun. I still am not great at bowling but I know you’ll have a super time!

Yum – PB & Co make my FAVORITE chocolate peanut butters. I love the white chocolate. Yummmmmm

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm

My roommate SWEARS by the white chocolate! I’ll have to try it :)

And that is adorable that you joined a couples league! Maybe I should get Will to do that with me so I don’t own his score so badly ;)

Lyndsie August 16, 2011 at 11:44 am

It’s so great that you get to have a little fun with your classes! Any luck with the bowling shoes?

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I found some! But I’m still looking because I’m trying my best to find some under $30 haha. Thanks Lyndsie :)

Julia August 16, 2011 at 11:46 am

I am so bad at bowling! Oh well

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race August 16, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Okay…sooo…I totally took bowling in school too. :) I bowled a 300 one time and one time only! I still have the score card print out. LOL! It was so much fun!

The sushi looks so good!!!! :P

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm

YOU BOWLED A 300!? That is such an accomplishment!

If I ever bowl a perfect 300 I will dedicate that game to you ;)

Nikki August 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Alley Cats Strike was the BEST! Too bad everytime I tried the spin the ball and push move it never worked for me! hahaah

I am always so jealous of schools that offer elective classes such as bowling. My school is so small that we don’t have anything cool like that! That sounds like a blast…and a fun way to earn credits. Plus, it should be less stressful than the other classes!

Oh ya, and I am glad there weren’t any toxic oats this time! :)

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Yes I’m sure it will be a lot of fun :) And thank GOODNESS for no toxic oats this morning haha

Kat August 16, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Ahhhh I LOVED that movie!! Oh the good old days :)
I actually hate to bowl because I have really fat thumbs and they cant fit in the holes!! Well they can if I shove them in there, but then it gets tugged when I release the ball and really hurts. So basically I just have to throw it down the lane which of course is NOT very accurate!

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm

aww! Don’t worry, my thumbs are kind of weird too, but somehow I manage..

..you can always throw it granny style?

Lindsay Loves Veggies August 16, 2011 at 1:20 pm

My university had a bowling class as well, although I can’t say I ever participated. Keenan and I have been repeatedly saying recently that we need to go bowling, but it hasn’t happened yet. Maybe in the next couple days it will finally happen!

Barefoot Pregnant and In The Kitchen August 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm

How cool that your school offers a class on bowling! I do like to bowl… though I haven’t been in years! When my husband and I were dating in high school we used to go all the time. I think I know what we’ll be doing on our next date night! As for the cookie’s we made them last night. They were a score with my kids as well as myself. I woke up in the middle of the night to polish off a couple of them.

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Awesome! I’m so glad you made the cookies & enjoyed them :)

And yes, please do go bowling on your date. That would be a cute little idea if its something you two used to do together!

Emma August 16, 2011 at 2:00 pm

mmmMMMMM love sushi! I have to ask you, since you live in Miami…have you ever been to Moon Thai restaurant? It’s right across from UM and it was my faaavorite!

Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm

No ma’am! I’ve seen it but never been! Maybe now that you’ve recommended it though I’ll get my butt over there :D

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I am a pretty terrible bowler!! I don’t think I would ever take a bowling class. ….I still use the guards so my ball won’t continiously go into the gutter :P

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) August 16, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I loooove bowling, but I’m terrible! Haha, it’s having fun that counts right? ;) I think a class would do me good, lol.

Mmm I want sushi now :P

<3 <3

Ellen August 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Brittany
I have been to Rushon before and have had eaten at the side as to put into your words “where the chefs cook in front of you on a humungo grill” and it is good I kinda like it better then Samuri (also good), and dont have to wait as long. I have been reading your blog and I give you credit, it has been really interesting. Good luck in your bowling, I liked it when I bowled, I wasnt good at it at all but it was the fun of it all. Wish I would of known sooner I had a ball bag and shoes I sold at a yard sale. Oh well..

Alexa @ Simple Eats August 16, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I love bowling! I suck at it, but I love it!