Black Bean & Hummus Tortilla Pizza

by Brittany on August 12, 2011

Consider this a “Happy Friday” present from me to you.

I expect to wake up tomorrow morning and see this beautiful creation reincarnated on each of your blogs. No excuses.
pizza 023
After a recent purchase of Food For Life brown rice tortillas, I’ve had an ongoing hankering for a tortilla pizza. Not that I had ever made one in my life or even knew how I would prepare it, but I was on a mission to git ‘er done.

Lunch today did not only allow me to fulfill this prophecy, but it also had me begging myself for another (and another, and another, and another.)
Let us start with the light-oil hummus that I made the other day:
Cumin- Garlic Hummus
hummus 077
    • 1 can garbanzo beans
    • 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
    • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1 Tablespoon water
    • 2 Tablespoons olive oil

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients into food processor and process until smooth.

hummus 076

Easy enough? Let’s move on to recipe numero dos!

Black Bean & Hummus Tortilla Pizza

pizza 016

Ingredients:

• 1 tortilla (I used a Food For Life brown rice tortilla)
    • 3 Tablespoons Cumin-Garlic Hummus (or any other hummus)
    • Handful of chopped spinach
    • 1/4 cup cooked black beans
    • 1/4 cup sliced grape tomatoes
    • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    • Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit and spray baking pan with cooking spray.

2. Spread hummus on one side of tortilla. Sprinkle with handful of spinach.

pizza 004

3. Top tortilla with black beans and tomatoes. Sprinkle with basil, salt, and pepper.

pizza 005

4. Bake for 5-7 minutes and remove when edges become crust-like.

5. Hyperventilate.

pizza 021

No lie, this is the best lunch I’ve had all summer (and my lunch box salads brought some tough competition to the table. Overall with the hummus already made, this took me less than 10 minutes to throw together. No reason not to make seconds ;)

pizza 026

Along with my pizza, I had some cherries.

Now I’m off to go make one of these beauties for Will and then hopefully head over to AT&T to look into getting a new phone (my current one has been dropping phone calls like ca-ra-zay.) Hope all of you are having a fantastic Friday!

A bit to think about: Have you already started assembling this creation? If not, what are you waiting for!?

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 12, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Looks good! Hummus is sooo yummy. I need a new phone too. My iPhone keeps crashing!

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Yummy! That looks awesome! I’m totally sharing this recipe with my bf because he’s lactose intolerant…and a healthy pizza without cheese would be heaven for him! Although it looks like it would be heaven for me too :). Good job with that!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan August 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Beans, beans, and more beans! Love it!

Laural @ Being Healthier August 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm

oh it looks so much like a pizza! how fun! love the hummus- and cherries are all over the blog world! haha. happy weekend

sarah (onedayiwillseethesun) August 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm

looks great:) ya know I may even give this one a try if I do I will tag you in my post and let you know. i have wandered with tortilla iza though whether the base is too thin? does it hold it all togeather?

Itty Bits of Balance August 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Actually I thought the same thing, but with the amount of toppings that are on this and the short cook time, it held together perfectly. It even sliced like a real pizza!

Liz @ Something To Chew On August 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I love using hummus as a pizza topping!!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm

How creative! I love the colour and pics. I definetly need to try this soon :)

Jenny August 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Oh my good gracious. This looks so tasty…and an easy meal to make for just one person!! Love Hummus. Love black beans. Spinach. Love. Tomatoes? Basil? Yep. lovelovelove. Good idea!!

Barefoot Pregnant and In The Kitchen August 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm

It looks so good! I’m hummus obsessed this week. I’ve been doing cold versions of this with different veggies almost every day for lunch. I’ll have to bake it up for tomorrow’s lunch for a change!!

Itty Bits of Balance August 13, 2011 at 9:45 am

If you’re on a hummus kick then this is perfect for you! Trust me, you will NOT regret it

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 12, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Using hummus on pizza is one of my favorite things :D I prefer it over pizza sauce, and you have GOT to try it with cheeeeese. Life changing.

Itty Bits of Balance August 13, 2011 at 9:45 am

Oo! Cheese will be my next addition ;) Thanks Amanda

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race August 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Mmmmm! Looks nummy! :P

Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body August 12, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I’ve never made my own hummus before. And I’ve never put black beans on my pizza before either. Both of these things need to change now!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 12, 2011 at 6:49 pm

You just created greatness! ….. I’m thinking this is a GREAT idea for tonight…. or tomorrow, I need to make hummus. And this girl is pooped out! ugh. Someday soon! No excuses ;)

Itty Bits of Balance August 13, 2011 at 9:46 am

PLEASE do it! For me :(
(I’m making a puppy face in case you didn’t know)

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun August 12, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Oh YUM…I’m going to try this for sure. I love the Food For Life brown rice tortillas..they are my favorite! Thanks for sharing this!

Itty Bits of Balance August 13, 2011 at 9:46 am

This was my first time trying the tortillas and they are the BOMB!

Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Mmmmm hummus!! That looks so good :) Not tonight – but maybe some other time soon :)

Sara K August 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm

YUM! Seriously! I had a similar lunch today using TJs wheat corn torillas and topping them with spicy hummus, chipotle salsa, middle eastern fava beans, grilled chicken, and cilantro. It was amazing.

Itty Bits of Balance August 13, 2011 at 9:47 am

Great minds think alike ;)

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 12, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Uhmmm. Brittany, we need to get together ASAP because all the food I’ve seen on here looks DELICIOUS and I’ve had to wipe up the drool on my computer several times. mmkay? :P

Itty Bits of Balance August 13, 2011 at 9:47 am

Haha Sounds like a plan! ;)
We’ll have a Brittany & Brittany meetup

Julia August 13, 2011 at 7:12 am

Love tortilla pizzas! Make them all the time

hand lawn mowers March 21, 2014 at 9:17 am

Common sense dictates that you understand the ingredients for success
before you commit time and money to your project.

It’s way better than going out and job hunting in a place where they don’t
even want to work in. It stands out without being too bright
and without using too much ink, and is sure to get you noticed.
hand lawn mowers recently posted..hand lawn mowersMy Profile

garage door king March 31, 2014 at 5:59 pm

These two forms of using the word’roll form’ will
be used indistinguishably throughout this manuscript.
In either case the hinge that holds the roller from the door panels must be removed to make the
necessary door repair. Rolling shutters of
ROMA have a patented sound body and are therefore pleasantly quiet.
garage door king recently posted..garage door kingMy Profile