Warm Apple Crisp

by Brittany on August 8, 2011

I took advantage of my first non-lunchbox lunch in smoothie form. To ease this mini-sickness that is residing in my throat, I created one of my favorite antioxidant-packed Green Monsters (If you don’t know what a green monster is, ask Angela) ;)

aa 012

Berry Berry Green Monster

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 2 handfuls of spinach
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Ice
  • Pinch of Xanthan Gum (a little goes a long way with this stuff
  • Topped with chia seeds and kamut puffs

I did some Bodyrock, a little bit of stretching,and proceeded to blog from my yoga mat Hot smile

aa 006

& now, it’s recipe time!

——————————————————————————————————————-

If you asked my mother to resort to eating one dessert for the rest of her life, rest assured that this would be it. No brownies. No cookies. No double-fudge chocolate Sundaes (go figure..) No sweet treat would ever stand in the way of her love for a home-baked warm apple crisp with vanilla ice cream.

For dinner on Saturday night, I decided to play favorite child again and make all of her wildest of dreams come true.

Warm Apple CrispApplecrisp 062

Prep Time: 1 Hour

Servings: One 9 x 13″ pan

Adapted from: Betty Crocker Cookbook

Ingredients:

• 8 cups of Granny Smith apple slices (about 4 apples)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup oats
  • 2/3 cups of unsalted butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Vanilla Ice Cream

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread sliced apples out on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13″ baking pan.

Applecrisp 035

2. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, oats, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Applecrisp 037Applecrisp 040

3. Sprinkle mixture over apples. Bake in oven for 35-45 minutes or until apples are tender.

Applecrisp 042

4. Allow to cool for 5 minutes so crust becomes crispy then serve topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

Applecrisp 058

Barefoot Pregnant and In The Kitchen August 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I can tell fall is right around the corner up here in NH because I’m craving apple recipes like mad! I think I’ll make a crisp tonight for dessert. Your’s looks scrumptious. The Betty Crocker recipe is the one I had a kid growing up. My mom had an old Betty cookbook that she got in high school… today it’s still her go to cookbook for almost everything!

Sweet and Savvy August 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Looks great!

I know What You mean witg taking advantage of a non lunchbox lunch! I spent an hour in the kitchen prepping lunch because I was so excited to not have my usual salad:)

Itty Bits of Balance August 8, 2011 at 10:56 pm

amen, sister! :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul August 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Ohhhh mannng~~that apple crisp looks sooo delicious!! 0_0 hehe. And isn’t yoga so awesome?!! I almost always nearly fall asleep at the end ;)

Errign August 8, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I fah-reaking love apple crisp. I NEVER make it, but I’ll get it at fairs and stuff and it ALWAYS makes me think of fall in New England. I made some walnut cinnamon energy balls today and they taste like apple crisp topping – so delicious.

Sarah (everydaysapicnic) August 8, 2011 at 4:07 pm

The apple crisp looks soooo good. Fruit crumbles are a really popular dessert in the UK and they are my absolute favourite – I think rhubarb might be the best filling.

Itty Bits of Balance August 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Oo! I’ll have to try that :)

sarah (onedayiwillseethesun) August 8, 2011 at 4:12 pm

man that looks amazing. xx

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health August 8, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Oh wow, that apple crisp looks to die for! I am usually a chocolate dessert person, but if a really good apple crisp or apple pie is there, that may win out haha. I hope you feel better soon!

Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:19 am

Thanks Lindsay :)

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Looks great! Apple crisp is such a comfort food.

Emma @ Microcosm of Life August 8, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Oh my gosh– fruit crisps, crumbles, cobblers, SIGN ME UP. Your mom is a lucky lady!

Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:19 am

Haha she sure is ;)

Liz @ Something To Chew On August 8, 2011 at 5:29 pm

That apple crisp looks amaaaaazing!! Oh seriously. It’s all gross and rainy here today…a bowl of that would go so well with this weather! Great comfort food :)

Maria@La_Piattini August 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Oh my gosh this recipe is getting me excited for Fall and apple picking!

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun August 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Yummy! I love a good fruit crisp with some cool vanilla ice cream…you can’t go wrong with that dessert :)

Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) August 8, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Looks delicious, and easily made vegan…yay!

I think I have the same yoga mat in light pinkish purple. :)

Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:20 am

Really!? haha well, you have good taste ;)

Brittany August 8, 2011 at 7:28 pm

YUUUUM yum yum yummm! I loveee apple crisp. I want this NOW!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Girl, you need to post this again in the fall! That would be perfect to be eating while watching football next to a warm fire! Of course, I don’t have a fireplace, so I might have to pretend … ;)

Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:21 am

I always lean towards fall-ifying my meals because I just loveeeeee the warmth of pumpkin and spices! Its a habit haha

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race August 8, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Mmmmm…looks delicious! I love apple anything. This sounds like an awesome Fall treat :P

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

yum! I made a crisp tonight too – but a cherry/rhubarb one. Crisps are so yummy:)

Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:22 am

Oo! I’ve heard a few mentions of a rhubarb crisp, but really don’t even know what a rhubarb is haha
I’m gonna have to look that up

Ann Claire August 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm

That apple crisp looks sooo good!! Your mom is lucky to have you :)

Lindsay Loves Veggies August 8, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I am so making this! Yummy!!!

Laural @ Being Healthier August 8, 2011 at 9:36 pm

im going to have to make this for the boyfriend this weekend! it looks AMAZING! ah, exactly what I would want to eat for breakfast or dessert or brunch after we sleep in! yummm! Thanks!

Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:22 am

Will loved it, so don’t worry– it’s boyfriend approved ;)
Hope you enjoy!

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 8, 2011 at 11:07 pm

OMG. This looks wonderful! I love fruit crisps – so darn delicious!!

Nikki August 8, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Read and loved your guest post! And I am honestly drooling over that apple crisp. Another recipe to add to my list of things I NEED to try asap! :)

Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

Aw thanks Nikki :D

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 8, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Mmm. Warm apple crisp/pie with a bit of vanilla ice cream holds a special place in my heart. It’s probably one of my mom’s favorite desserts to make, too, so it always reminds me of her because she bakes one up for pretty much any/every special occasion. I’m more of a chocolate lover, myself, but apple crisp is definitely fabulous… especially now that apples will be coming into season :D

Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

You and me the same, girl– I’m TOTALLY a chocolate lover over anything else!

Danielle Spellman @Squirrel Snackin' August 9, 2011 at 12:03 am

There aren’t many desserts better than apple crisp with vanilla bean ice cream..carrot cake and cheesecake come in close. :) I love puffed kamut on top of my smoothies too..adds a flavorful(and healthy) crunch!

Kris | iheartwellness.com August 9, 2011 at 2:57 am

Yea Baby!!! This would be my mom’s dessert for the rest of her life too!!! I would choose a nice chocolate cake, but she loves apples!!

YUMMY!! I can’t wait to try this recipe!!

xxoo

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 9, 2011 at 7:30 am

I love crisps and crumbles and yours looks sooo good. I make a nobake raw vegan GF one that I need to make again. It’s almost fall apple season!

Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:25 am

Ooo! I’m going to have to check that out– I’m actually allergic to egg whites & wheat and could not take part in this crisp recipe :(
But thanks Averie, you’re giving me hope! haha

Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 9, 2011 at 7:30 am

Yummm this is literally one of my favorite desserts! I am loving this version, thanks pretty lady :D

Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 9:25 am

Of course Tessa!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 9, 2011 at 8:27 am

Checking out your guest post…and this apple crisp…DANG, looks amazing :)

Laura @ Special Treats August 9, 2011 at 10:52 am

Yum! I am going to have to try this crisp. Looks delish! Can’t wait for apples to be in season this Fall. Although, I will miss all of the amaaaazing summer fruits that are in season now. I also love your Green Smoothies, yum, I love green smoothies and just smoothies in general. :)

Andrea @ Andrea out loud! August 10, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Yum! I can’t wait to try out this apple crisp recipe, I have really been craving some latley!