French fries are a staple of American cuisine, but they aren’t exactly great for your waist line. In a medium serving of fries, you get a whopping 365 calories, 17g of fat, 246mg of sodium, and 4 measly grams of protein. So how can you satisfy your french fry craving without letting your belt out a notch or two? Tofu fries!
Tofu French Fry Recipe
This recipe is great because not only is it a healthy twist on a popular snack, but it also requires very few ingredients. This recipe yields two servings.
- Salt and pepper
- Condiments of choice (ketchup, mustard, etc)
- Heat your broiler so it is ready to go (this recipe prep does not take very long).
- Open your tofu package and drain the water.
- Lay a towel down on your cutting board to help absorb excess moisture and cut your tofu in half lengthwise, pressing it again with a towel.
- Cut each half in half lengthwise again (this may be easier if you stand it up on its thin edge) –you will need a sharp knife for this. Try to keep the slices even in size, and pat them with a towel again.
- Cut each tofu slice into six even pieces for a total of 24 tofu french fries. Pat dry with a towel one last time.
- Place your tofu fries on a non-stick baking pan or a silpat baking mat; season with salt and pepper to taste. Get your condiment of choice ready for dipping!
- Place the tofu fries in the broiler, turning them every 2-3 minutes for a total of 10 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown.
And that’s it! In less than 15 minutes you can have tofu fries that are not only delicious but healthier for you too! These tofu fries have 176 calories, 12g of fat, 16mg of sodium and 18g of protein per serving.